IGNORED

Help with the shanks??

Note: This thread is 5777 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

First off, I am using a new set of irons this year, mp60's with x100 black gold shafts +1.25" length. I am left handed and found them in great condition off of ebay. Only thing is, the previous set last year were stiff shafts and only +.5". I have noticed I am hitting my irons about 10 yards less, and I was told I probably would by going to the x stiff shaft, that is fine though, I actually seem to be alot more accurate now. Only thing is, I can hit some really nice beautiful iron shots with it drawing into my target,,then I can hit some nasty shanks and my swing feels the exact same. Now I choke down just a hair on these irons to compensate for the longer length. Could that be the problem? I finally shot in the 70's for the first time in my life this past weekend, but I had a couple shank shots off the tee that cost me a few more strokes or I would have had a low 70's round.

Maybe I got the shank fever and I need to hit my way out or take lessons?? I have been contemplating getting new stiff shafts put back in too...? Any thoughts or help is appreciated, thanks.

09 Burner 9.5* Stiff

.......MP 001 3w Stiff
.......CLK FLI-HI 3(20*) & 4(23*) Hybrids
.......4-PW MP60 DGSL 300's Stiff SVT 52* Wedge Vokey Spin Milled 54* Wedge CG10 Black Pearl 60* Wedge XG White Hot #1 Putter ProV1, Prov1x, NXT Tour Aerolite III Stand

i'm not sure if this would help... but when i had the case of shanks i just stood an inch or two further from the ball and it fixed it. As a matter of fact I kept the further distance from the ball and haven't shanked it once. It might be that your longer new clubs just need a longer position from the ball so that the hosel does not hit the ball even if you come down a little extended. hope that helps.

In my Bag-Boy NXO Revolver cart bag:
Driver: 909D2 9.5, UST Proforce V2 x-stiff
Wood: Burner '09 3-Wood
Hybrid: H585 3-Hybrid, stiff steel shaft
3-PW: : MP-57 4-PW, Rifle Project X 6.0Wedge: Solus 51, 56, 61Putter: White Hot XG Teron 34"Ball: ProV1x "Practice"

i'm not sure if this would help... but when i had the case of shanks i just stood an inch or two further from the ball and it fixed it. As a matter of fact I kept the further distance from the ball and haven't shanked it once. It might be that your longer new clubs just need a longer position from the ball so that the hosel does not hit the ball even if you come down a little extended. hope that helps.

Do you feel as if your standing on the front of your feet when you swing, I have read that will cause you to shank too?

09 Burner 9.5* Stiff

.......MP 001 3w Stiff
.......4-PW MP60 DGSL 300's Stiff SVT 52* Wedge Vokey Spin Milled 54* Wedge CG10 Black Pearl 60* Wedge XG White Hot #1 Putter ProV1, Prov1x, NXT Tour Aerolite III Stand

No, i always keep my balance in the middle of my feet. Not on the toes nor on the heels. I make sure at setup i have a good bend from the hips so that my arms are hanging straight down without being hampered by my pecs or ribs. After that i grab the club and see where the head rests, and just position myself to the ball with that setup. i've fixed the shank since then and i've been hitting it very clean... gained more distance actually after my bout with the shanks...

In hind thought, what i realized was that i have been standing too upright without the proper bend from the hips. I'd have my biceps touching my ribs at setup... but then my arms would extend on the downswing hitting the ball with the hosel. So, by giving more hip bend and letting my arms forward of my ribs i realized i was in better setup position. My arms became freer and i started hitting the ball better. I'm not sure if i got my thoughts across clearly... but let me know how it goes!

3-PW: : MP-57 4-PW, Rifle Project X 6.0Wedge: Solus 51, 56, 61Putter: White Hot XG Teron 34"Ball: ProV1x "Practice"

No, i always keep my balance in the middle of my feet. Not on the toes nor on the heels. I make sure at setup i have a good bend from the hips so that my arms are hanging straight down without being hampered by my pecs or ribs. After that i grab the club and see where the head rests, and just position myself to the ball with that setup. i've fixed the shank since then and i've been hitting it very clean... gained more distance actually after my bout with the shanks...

Thank you osean79, I'll give it a try tonight!

09 Burner 9.5* Stiff

.......MP 001 3w Stiff

I found a video too that I'll try from the golf channel. Put a ball under each foot, up front, and act like its an egg when swinging and you don't want to break the egg during the swing. I'll try your tip and the video too..thanks

http://www.thegolfchannel.com/core.a...0&select2;=2782

09 Burner 9.5* Stiff

.......MP 001 3w Stiff

Wow man. .75" longer from your last set is a huge difference, especially if you don't need that much length. If you are a 10 handicap you are a pretty decent ball striker to begin with. I'm guessing those clubs are ill-fitted for you and that is causing the shanks and lack of distance.

+1.25" over standard, that's a lot!! How tall are you?

I'm 6"3" and I was fitted for +.5" from standard and that is plenty long for me.

Wow man. .75" longer from your last set is a huge difference, especially if you don't need that much length. If you are a 10 handicap you are a pretty decent ball striker to begin with. I'm guessing those clubs are ill-fitted for you and that is causing the shanks and lack of distance.

6'4" and my last set was fitted at +.5" from standard. The guy I bought them from was 6'8", lol. I have been told I am a good ball striker and never had the shanks til this year, with these clubs. I am in the hunt for some new shafts to cut down at +.5 over. These were such a good deal on those irons...and even getting new shafts and grips I am not spending half what a new set would cost. also...I am supposed to be a 2* up and these clubs are 3* up...how big a role does that play? I know I can get them bent to 2* easy if I need too..I am new to the tech side of golf..so any info is great Sean

09 Burner 9.5* Stiff

.......MP 001 3w Stiff

Wow it does sound like those club are ill fitted for you Sean. By the way my name is Sean too lol.

Looks like i'm the shortest at 6'0 and using standard length. That video and drill looks pretty good, it might be a good drill to give you a sense of hanging back abit. According to Ping website, they suggest a 1* up for my height and arm length... that's a blue dot in their iron system. So i ended up buying a used Ping Eye 2 which hits just fine for me, but my other set which is the Titleist DCI 962 are of standard length and i hit those just the same... from what I've heard and understand though, you must play with irons that fit you.

Well I almost bought these irons brand new from a dealer and he used the ping system and I was right at 2 degrees up. Then just goofing off on ebay I found the set I have now..and not knowing much tech stuff basically, I thought I could adapt..well guess not. So I guess...right??..I could just get new grips and cut down my shafts,,that would be a good start right? I could live with the black gold shafts if the correct length took care of the shanks. Black gold are good shafts aren't they??

09 Burner 9.5* Stiff

.......MP 001 3w Stiff

It could be something like a slight slip of hands on your grip on your down swing. Might be turning out your wrists as well, those are just small things that are hard for oneself to figure out themselves as it may just feel comfortable to you. Therefore you might not be able to notice it. Otherwise i haven't a clue lol

In my Black'n'Red :

Driver: R7 TP 460cc 10.5* Reax 65 stiff shaft
3 Wood: Tour Impact 15*
Irons: Tour Impact 3-PWWedges: Vokey Oil Can Spin Milled 54.10, Golfco Baron 58* SWPutter: Tracy II 35"Balls: Prov 1Age:16

Note: This thread is 5777 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!