IGNORED

Companies you'll never buy clubs from

Note: This thread is 5765 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ya you need name brand stuff to be serious. I wasnt serious with my Brunswick clubs as a kid, that probably had 400 rounds of golf on them, until I bought name brand clubs.

Yeah, its a bit ignorant to think someone has to have a certain type of clubs to be a "serious" golfer. I guess you arent allowed to be good if you dont have money, right?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the only club company I really don't like is Callaway.....I'm kind of a traditionalist and Callaway goes against just about everything I like. Plus Callaway has there name in every type of product, watches, rangefinders, etc. & for some reason that doesn't sit well with me.

Driver: Speed Pro D 9.5*

3 Wood: 904F4 15.5*

Hybrid: 585.H 19*Irons: MP-32 4-PWWedges: 52* CG12 DSG 58* CG12 DSG 64* CG12 DSGPutter: custom Studio Select Newport 2 Mid-SlantBall: Pro V1x

I will try any type of gear. I too am shocked about all the wilson comments. i bought a set of wilson pro-staff about 3 years ago and i think theyre great clubs with nice grips. Although i wish the irons had steel shafts instead of graphite.

MacTec 460 Draw Driver
V-Foil M565 Irons
MT 3 Wood
GigaGolf 52deg gap wedge
Wilson 55deg sand wedge MT Don White 60deg Lob wedgeknockoff 2-ball putter

I'm a contrarian, so I don't play any clubs made by major OEMs. I'm playing older Ram irons, newer Ram putter, Tommy Armour driver, Acer and Distance Master fairway woods. I've dabbled with others, but keep coming back to my cheap clubs.

"You can foment revolution or you can cure your slice - life is too short for both" David Owen

WITB*: 2010 winter edition

Driver: AyrtimeFW/hybrid: Distance Master Pro Steel 5w, 7w, 27* hybridIrons: Powerplay 5000 hybrids (6i-SW)Wedge: SMT Durometer 55 degPutter: Z/I Omega mallet*as soon...

I used to say that I would never buy Callaway equip. I thought of them as hackers clubs. I then had two kids and went form playing three times a week to once or twice a month. I quickly traded the Titelist 990's in for the X-Tours. My index has actually dropped since I switched.

Never say never!

Jeff

Never up, Never in!

580xd 8.5* factory shaft
3DX Hybrids 14*, 17*
X Tours 3-PWVokey 52* and 60* Callie putter (for now)

To those who said you wouldn't play wilson clubs.

Wilson staff clubs just won the British open

In my Extreme Sport Stand Bag
Driver: 4DX D-Spec Driver 10.5* Stiff UST SR3
3W: F-60 15* Regular Fujikura E150 Fit-On
Hybrids: 4DX Ironwoods 20* 23* Regular UST SR3
Irons: 4DX CB 5-PW Stiff True Temper ST-90Wedges: Vokey 50* 56*Putter: SabertoothBall: DT Roll

Magregor, Wilson, Ram or any of that cheap crap. I used to despise Nike until yesterday when I fell in love with the sumo2 hybrid. What an amazing club!

MacGregor and Wilson Staff, cheap crap?

Don't judge those brands based on what you know, as that apparently proves you've got barely an idea of who those club makers are, and the greats that played them...don't go off googling them to find out.

CPGA Member
Eagles Nest Golf Club
Toronto Highlands Golf

MacGregor and Wilson Staff, cheap crap?

Yeah im pretty sure greg norman uses macgregor clubs.

In my Extreme Sport Stand Bag
Driver: 4DX D-Spec Driver 10.5* Stiff UST SR3
3W: F-60 15* Regular Fujikura E150 Fit-On
Hybrids: 4DX Ironwoods 20* 23* Regular UST SR3
Irons: 4DX CB 5-PW Stiff True Temper ST-90Wedges: Vokey 50* 56*Putter: SabertoothBall: DT Roll

I will never ever buy a club from Callaway or Cleveland. I think both of them have dumb club concepts.

Driver: G10 10.5 Stock Shaft
3 Wood: Taylormade r580XD
Irons: AP2 3-P, Project X 5.5
Wedges: Tour-W 52*, 56* SM, 60* SM
Putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5 34"Ball: ProV1 or ProV1xLow Score:74

I will never ever buy a club from Callaway or Cleveland. I think both of them have dumb club concepts.

i agree that cleveland's club concepts are dumb at times

but not callaway (except for that one driver) i'll play anything that feels and looks good

driver- R580XD 9.5*
3 wood- m/speed
hybrid- cft ti 4h
irons- fp 4-gap
wedges- 54* and RAC satin 56* 12 bounceputter- 1/2 Craz-Eballs- DT Carry, e5, anything found thats is good shapeshoes-adidashome course - nothing - uh oh. perhaps pleasant view againschool...

I say, "Never say never..."

My son [+2.1, Hcp] tells me when I look cross-eyed at my equipment after hitting an errant shot... "Dad, it's not the arrow, it's the Indian." The more I hit different clubs the more I'm inclined to agree with him. My son started with Ping, then TM, now he's puring the ball with a great set of Muzunos. I guess there is a company for everyone, eh? I am amazed that all the golf companies seem to be making money. Of course, with the economy dipping, maybe we'll see a shake out and consolidation period.

I rented some Calaways in Vegas last year and they played great. Best round I've ever recorded. I haven't thrown everything out with the bath water and bought a set. Hmmmmmmm... maybe I should consider it.

I'm playing with a new set of Maltby irons. Never thought I'd get them but, at my age and Hcp, they just felt better than the other hyped brands that I was trying out... Nike, Calaway, Adams, TM, Ping, etc. So far, I'm not disappointed. The Hcp is coming down...

Hit'm straight! Or, with a slight draw!

iQuestGolfer
It's not about what's in your bag; it's about what you do with the clubs in your hand. Play iQuest Golf.
SQ 460 9.5*, ProForce V2, FlexS
3W Offset SZ, MR-SL60, FlexR
SlingShot 20*, hDiamana Mitsu Rayon, FlexSMaltby Recoil Irons, 4-PW, SW FlexR RAC Wedge Black TP, 60*, 12*bounce XG...

No TaylorMade irons ever again...

Driver: 10.5* SuperQuad TP 1st Edition All Black V2 Stiff
5 Wood - 585.h 19* DG S300
Irons: 3-PW S59 Stiff
Wedges: Rac TP 52*, 60* MP-T 56*
Putter(s): Anser 3 TP Black ballGET TO SINGLE DIGITS!Goal: Beat a certain admin that lives in my town

I personally would love to try the x-18's or x-20's from cally's.. but my knockoffs will do.

As for a brands that I'm less inclined to buy: jack nicklaus golden bear, adams

Sumo 10.5*
R7 Draw 15* 3W
3dx 17* 2H
Pi5 3-PW
Spin Milled Vokey 54* CG11 60* C-01

For those dogging on Wilson/Staff's, anyone know what irons were used to win the British Open this year?

MacGregor MACTEC NVG2 8.5* Driver
MacGregor UT2 NVG2
Taylormade VSteel 3W
Cobra IH300 3-PW
Nike SV 56* SWNike SV 50* GWOdyssey 2ball PutterTitleist Pro V1x

macgregor, they probably make quality stuff now but a couple years back i bought the magtec nvg i hated it and got rid of it within a week, after that i want nothing to do with macgregor.

Burner 10.5* driver
Burner 3 wood GD Pershing Shaft
Burner 5 wood GD Pershing Shaft
Tour Burner irons
Rac black 52* Rac satin 60* Red x 3 pro v1

Can't believe no one has mentioned them, but I would NEVER buy from Warrior Golf (again--got some free wedges). That is...if you consider them a real company. At any rate, their sales tactics remind me of a bad case of Herpes--every time you forget about them, they pop up and start spamming you out of the blue. --LBB

Bag: Bagboy NXO Revolver
Driver: Dymo STR8-FIT Tour 9.5
3w: Nike T405w: Nike T40Irons: Mizuno MP-33 3-PWSW: Nike SV Tour Black Satin 56/10LW: Nike SV Tour Black Satin 60/06Ball: Nike TA2/SPN

Note: This thread is 5765 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!