IGNORED

Want to play a tour course in 2009

Note: This thread is 5749 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am trying to work out a trip for our normal foursome to a PGA Tour stop course for sometime in 2009. We all want to see what we would really score playing one of these courses from the tips and all rules enforced. We want to find something within a reasonable driving distance from Knoxville, TN. The best deal I have found so far is playing TPC Sawgrass. They have a bunch of packages that are reasonable for what we are wanting to do.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Driver TM Superquad 9.5 w/ V2 stiff
3 Wood Callaway Fusion 13 deg w/ DVS stiff
Hybrid Titleist 585H 19 deg. w/ VS Proto Hybrid 95 stiff
Irons Titleist 735CM 4-PW - Cleveland wedges 52,56,60 deg.
Putter PING CRAZ-E G2i

Pinehurst No. 2 is right over in North Carolina only about 6 hours from K-Town. Sawgrass may be more reasonably priced though. Also, I don't think the PGA plays at Pinehurst in 2009, though they do regularly host the U.S. Open.

I just looked up the Pinehurst prices, for a three day two night stay it is $2,300 per person for double occupancy. Here is the link and check out the 'Buddy Trip of a Lifetime'.

http://www.pinehurst.com/golf_vacati...=#package_2616

Driver: MP-600 9.5 w/ Fujikura E360 Stiff Shaft
4 Wood: F-60 16.5 w/ Exsar FS3 Stiff Shaft
Irons:MP-57 3-PW w/ Dynamic Gold S300 Shafts
Wedges: MP-R Black-Ni 52, 56, & 60
Putter: Studio Select Newport 2Ball: ProV1/ProV1xGrips: Winn Xi7

We just played TPC - Deere Run the day after the PGA Tour stop. Still Had the Sunday tees. The did not however have the tips open for play. The starter said we would all have to show our handicap was under 5 if we wanted to play the tips.
I've spent most of my life golfing - the rest I've just wasted.

In my bag todayâ¦.
Driver: 2009 S9-1 10.5
19d Hybrid4-SW:2008 FP 58/10 Mizuno MP T-10Putter: White Hot XG Sabertooth

Pinehurst No. 2 is right over in North Carolina only about 6 hours from K-Town. Sawgrass may be more reasonably priced though. Also, I don't think the PGA plays at Pinehurst in 2009, though they do regularly host the U.S. Open.

Thanks, I will check it out.

The Sawgrass deals are pretty good. There was one that was for 3 nights and 3 rounds (1 on the tour course and 2 on the Pete Dye Valley course), 1 hr private lesson and some other stuff for about $850 per person.

Putter PING CRAZ-E G2i

We just played TPC - Deere Run the day after the PGA Tour stop. Still Had the Sunday tees. The did not however have the tips open for play. The starter said we would all have to show our handicap was under 5 if we wanted to play the tips.

Well that will not happen with our foursome! I have the best handicap and I am not quite there yet myself.

We may not get to play the week following the tourney anyway, so maybe the crowd won't be as crazy and they will open them up for us. I wouldn't be too upset if they were a bit up from the Sunday location!

Putter PING CRAZ-E G2i

Well that will not happen with our foursome! I have the best handicap and I am not quite there yet myself.

That should have read "still had Sunday Pins"....... Playing from the Blues was MORE than enough to humble me.........

I've spent most of my life golfing - the rest I've just wasted.

In my bag todayâ¦.
Driver: 2009 S9-1 10.5
19d Hybrid4-SW:2008 FP 58/10 Mizuno MP T-10Putter: White Hot XG Sabertooth

PGA TOur partners holds tournaments on the tpc courses. They hold one at Southwinds in Memphis which might work for you. THis year the fee was $228. Just another idea.

In my Bag

4LM 12 Degree

AP1 5-G Rosa putter

I love playing Deere Run! fun course to play, reasonably priced, and challenging yet not intimidating. i played it from the tips back in May and it still didn't play too bad... no Sunday pin locations though, but still had some tricky greens.
In The Bag
Tour Burner TP 9.5* Diamana Whiteboard 83 X-Stiff, tipped 2"
906 F2 13* Pro Force V2 95G Stiff
Idea Pro Gold 18* Aldila NV 105X
735.CM 3-PW Project X 6.5 Ordered Mizuno MP68 KBS Tour X Vokey Spin Milled 58* Vokey Spin Milled 64* Bettinardi BC-1 33" x77 stand bag Pro V1

keep in mind a lot of times the "tips" for the public and the actual tournament teeboxes used during competition are completely different, and often the tournament teeboxes are completely closed off for play by the public.

also, while it's fun to say you played where the pros play, the speed of the greens, pin positions, length of rough, width of fairways, etc. add a lot difference between the game "we" play and the game "they" play...

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Flickr pics from hacking it up at Pebble, Bandon, Pinehurst, Whistling Straits, the Black, Kiawah & more...

My suggestions:

TPC Sawgrass
Deere Run
TPC Sugarloaf (near Atlanta I believe)
PGA National Champion Course (in Palm Beach Gardens)
Bay Hill

Monster Tour 10.5* w/ Redboard 63
FP400f 14.5* w/ GD YSQ
Idea Pro 18* w/ VS Proto 80s
MP FLi-Hi 21 w/ S300
CG1 BP w/ PX 6.0 SM 54.11 SM 60.08 Sophia 33"

TPC Sawgrass is a beauty. I've walked the course and seen everything, but haven't gotten around to playing it yet.
What I Play:

Driver: Sasquatch SUMO² 9.5º Stiff
Hybrid: HiBore 16º (3W replacement)
Irons: Staff Ci6 3-PW StiffWedges: Vokey Spin Milled 54.10 60.04Putter: Newport Studio Style 35"Ball: Pro V1xAge: 15

I think it will end up being Sawgrass. Just have to wait and see what kind of deals they have going on about a year from now.

Putter PING CRAZ-E G2i

• 2 weeks later...
I'd love to play TPC Sawgrass.

Sugarloaf is only 2.5 hrs from here.

We're working up some dates and rates for a golf trip in Jan...Feb of '09.

I really want to play a PGA tourney course.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

Note: This thread is 5749 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!