IGNORED

Camillo Villegas (You kidding me?)

nike_golf
Note: This thread is 4433 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Some want to assume I'm an older over-weight guy who is jealous of this character. (Villegas) You couldn't be more wrong.

you're guilty of being close-minded and unnecessarily condescending

honestly camilo is nowhere near alone with his slim (in my opinion very great) sense of style. as many people have pointed out already, even tiger wears tight fitted stuff. I was reading something about how he changed his shirt size from xl to medium over the years. I'm making a huge assumption but I'm 99% sure I'm right because of the way you're ripping camilo's style: you have no sense of style. By "comfortable golf shirt" and "nice fitting pants" I think you meant baggy and sloppy looking. honestly... "what he wears isn't needed"....?!?!?! you keep emphasizing your "traditionalist" mindset yet you never responded to what I said about your club choice.

XTD Pro - 9.5* - GD YSQ
GS Tour - 15* -GD Red Ice
Rescue TP - 17* - Fujikura TP
Idea Pro Gold - 20* - Mitsubishi JavlnFX
MP-30, 4-PW - Standard Lofts / 2* flat - TT DG RAC Z TP (54*/10*) X-Forged (60*/10*)Scotty Cameron TeI3 - 35"

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really? Are we arguing about this? Wow. I mean, its not like he's wearing assless chaps. He's wearing what likely are designer golf clothes that fit his body. And he's in shape and built, its not like we have John Daly out there in skin tight clothing with a beer gut hanging out. And whats the big deal if his tastes in clothing are different than yours? Is everybody supposed to dress like you? Camillo is an individual, and there's noting wrong with that.

As I said in my 2nd post on this matter that I'm not bragging and I have no jealousy towards Villegas. None, what so ever. And I'm sure no one cares about me and women, and I never made that an issue. I just wanted to make sure people knew that I wasn't some 30 year old fat guy that had an itch to scratch. Cause that couldn't be farther from the truth.

But, even though most here back this character up, I still have a bit of an issue w/ him. I do, on occasion, wear somewhat tight clothing but not to the extent of what Villegas does. I just think he can wear somewhat "normal" fitting clothing and be just fine, and comfortable. Some of you want to tell me that TIGHT fitting shirts and pants are comfortable? Really? Read that again and try to nod your head, cause I dare you.............. And could we please stop w/ the "oh, if it helps getting down like spider man to read a putt then why not do it? If it helps why not? why not why not why not?" People, give me a break............... It's for show............ I hate to break it to you.............. do you see Tiger doing the "spider man" or kj? or sergio? or phil? or anyone else for gods sake?????????? no................... you don't.......... I rest my case...... Sure, you can make the argument that he has his own style and wears "crazy" type colors but I think his main reason for this is for attention........ plain and simple...............

TM R11/Titleist 910F 15*/ Nike SQ2 20* & 23*/ Nike CCi 5-PW/ Nike SV 52* & 56*/ SC Newport 2 Studio Style 32.5"
Nike 20XIx/Pro V1x

You have a fair response and I will respond to some of it as I have responded to most of it in the earlier post.

Yes, I consider myself a bit of a "tradionalist" but yet I shoot Nike clubs. Are you saying that my "tradionalist" point of view is invalid because of my choice of club? Thats an interesting topic you raised.......... what say you? I'm not a "true tradionalist" because of my club choice? Just curious.......................

TM R11/Titleist 910F 15*/ Nike SQ2 20* & 23*/ Nike CCi 5-PW/ Nike SV 52* & 56*/ SC Newport 2 Studio Style 32.5"
Nike 20XIx/Pro V1x

As I said in my 2nd post on this matter that I'm not bragging and I have no jealousy towards Villegas. None, what so ever. And I'm sure no one cares about me and women, and I never made that an issue. I just wanted to make sure people knew that I wasn't some 30 year old fat guy that had an itch to scratch. Cause that couldn't be farther from the truth.

I read that you weren't bragging but just because you said something doesn't mean its true. Your "I'm a 24 year old budding and in-shape young man, who has never had a problem getting the ladies. (I'm not bragging, but honestly, its true)" speech is just an attention seeking statement, just like how you say Camillo is seeking attention. Much like how your statements like "I rest my case", "plain and simple", and "why not why not why not" are also you seeking attention. Not to mentions your over usage of periods and questions marks. One question mark will work and three periods are all that's necessary to have an effective ellipsis... (see, wasn't that nice?)

One question though? Why do you care so much about what Camillo wears? Honestly, they are just clothes. And so what if he isn't as comfortable as he possibly can be, they are the clothes he chose and they look sharp and do not contain any profanity or disturbing images so there really isn't anything morally wrong with them. Overall, why does everybody have to be like you? Can't there be people who are different and do things like read putts differently and dress in a different manner than you would? Sure, his way of reading putts may be a little over the top but its his way and its not like he is offending people. If it disturbs you so much that he does it, then close your eyes, it'll go away.
My Clubs
Driver: HiBore XL 10.5*
3-Wood: SS-01
Hybrid: 503H 22*
Irons: Deep Red II TourSand Wedge: CG10 56*Lob Wedge: CG10 60*Putter: V Foil GT M6.4KBall: ProV1

Oh, I'm sorry. I forgot another thing. You say I have no sense of style? Why? Because I'm calling out Villegas for wearing too tight of fitting clothes? So, with that, I have no style? Interesting..........

So, are you w/ Camillo and wearing of the super tight stuff? Is that in good "style" to you? Today I wore khacki shorts w/ no showing nike socks w/ nike golf shoes, w/ a baby blue polo nike golf shirt w/ a collar. I looked like a golfer............. not a show-boater........

Nike 20XIx/Pro V1x

I read that you weren't bragging but just because you said something doesn't mean its true. Your "I'm a 24 year old budding and in-shape young man, who has never had a problem getting the ladies. (I'm not bragging, but honestly, its true)" speech is just an attention seeking statement, just like how you say Camillo is seeking attention. Much like how your statements like "I rest my case", "plain and simple", and "why not why not why not" are also you seeking attention. Not to mentions your over usage of periods and questions marks. One question mark will work and three periods are all that's necessary to have an effective ellipsis... (see, wasn't that nice?)

haha..... first off I guess that I can't expect you to believe everything that I write, I just ask that you do. (Everything that I wrote is true, though)

Other than that, it just has been a style of mine to drop all the .......... after a point of mine. I'm sorry, but thats just me............ And w/ Villegas, I just think he does his "show" for show......... thats what bothers me about him. He doesn't have to be like me, (the "tradionalist)" but c'mon..... don't tell me the guy isn't a show-boat!!!!! "Oh, it's what works for him" My as$..... its all about showing off............. And hey, if it works for him and the ladies, more power to him............ I can't diss him for that.............

Nike 20XIx/Pro V1x

But, even though most here back this character up, I still have a bit of an issue w/ him. I do, on occasion, wear somewhat tight clothing but not to the extent of what Villegas does. I just think he can wear somewhat "normal" fitting clothing and be just fine, and comfortable. Some of you want to tell me that TIGHT fitting shirts and pants are comfortable? Really? Read that again and try to nod your head, cause I dare you..............

Tight fitting shirts aren't comfortable? Really. There's a little company you might have heard of called "Under Armour." The company was started in a college dorm and has grown into a billion dollar corporation, mainly, by selling tight, compression athletic gear worn by millions of athletes. So yeah, I'm nodding my head that tight can be comfortable.

Two, Camilo is not wearing tight pants. They are J. Lindebergh pants that many players, wear. He's not the only one and when you have a 28 inch waist, how big do you think the pants are going to look? As for his "Spiderman" style of reading putts, he's been doing this since he was in college. Furthermore, if you can't or don't do it, how would you know if it's beneficial? Again, all you've been doing is criticizing a guy about things you don't do or won't wear. You then question the masculinity of those that have no problem with it on two separate threads. You then defend yourself by mentioning how you never have problems with the ladies. I'll say what others are probably thinking. "If it quacks like a duck...."

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

Tight fitting shirts aren't comfortable? Really. There's a little company you might have heard of called "Under Armour." The company was started in a college dorm and has grown into a billion dollar corporation, mainly, by selling tight, compression athletic gear worn by millions of athletes. So yeah, I'm nodding my head that tight can be comfortable.

haha.... I love it. First off, does Villegas use Under Armour? No, he doesn't. Throw that out. Two, yes he is wearing tight pants. Look at him! Three, since he has been reading putts like that since college it only means he has been showing off since college.

I could read putts like he does, and as a matter of fact, next time I go out I might try it. And if it does work I will retract everything I said on this topic. (Don't count on me liking it, I will probably feel like an idiot) And I had to laugh out loud about the closet statement. That was funny. Props to you. But after my initial post some questioned the type of guy that I was. And I just had to come out and describe my physic and my sexual orientation. Nothing more. sorry............. not in any closet........

Nike 20XIx/Pro V1x

haha.... I love it. First off, does Villegas use Under Armour? No, he doesn't. Throw that out. Two, yes he is wearing tight pants. Look at him!

The point was you made the statement that tight isn't comfortable. That was easily refuted. The apparel maker is irrelevant.

Secondly, there is a difference between tight and restrictive. It's obvious that his clothes aren't restrictive. Otherwise, he would not be able to hit it 300 plus yards. Moreover, I've seen enough of Villegas and others who wear those pants to know that they are not "tight." You want to see tight? Look at waif type body men who wear skinny jeans. That's tight.

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

haha..... first off I guess that I can't expect you to believe everything that I write, I just ask that you do. (Everything that I wrote is true, though)

Sure, he may do some of it for show, but would that make him unlike the rest of us? Earlier you detailed an outfit that you wore golfing and it seemed very nice. It probably looked very sharp but like most nice golf outfits it was probably very expensive and probably looked like it costs a lot, not to mention all of the Nike symbols you probably had on you. So you too were "showboating" your expensive clothes, but that's just how golf is. Its a high maintenance sport that often has people dress up in expensive clothes that draw attention to themselves. Like it or not, you do it too and it has become a part of the sport. Golf is a rich man's and showboater's game.

Also, have you ever gotten a really close view to the surface of the green? Breaks are a lot more visible when you get down real close, at least in my opinion. So it probably does help him to get down lower when viewing the putt. I mean, the guy is a pro golfer, and a pretty successful one at that, so don't you think its a little odd that he would have a such a physically demanding move that he does a lot and it would be ALL for show? Sure, it may be somewhat for show, because it does look cool, but still its ridiculous to say that he is all about show.
My Clubs
Driver: HiBore XL 10.5*
3-Wood: SS-01
Hybrid: 503H 22*
Irons: Deep Red II TourSand Wedge: CG10 56*Lob Wedge: CG10 60*Putter: V Foil GT M6.4KBall: ProV1

Sure, he may do some of it for show, but would that make him unlike the rest of us? Earlier you detailed an outfit that you wore golfing and it seemed very nice. It probably looked very sharp but like most nice golf outfits it was probably very expensive and probably looked like it costs a lot, not to mention all of the Nike symbols you probably had on you. So you too were "showboating" your expensive clothes, but that's just how golf is. Its a high maintenance sport that often has people dress up in expensive clothes that draw attention to themselves. Like it or not, you do it too and it has become a part of the sport. Golf is a rich man's and showboater's game.

True, you have me dead to rights w/ the way I usually dress for golf. I usually dress in nice "golf" type clothes that cost a thing or two. That is true. However...............

There IS a DIFFERENCE.......... I'm willing to put this debate to rest...... I want to let the others decide about this guy (Villegas)............ How is this guy (Villegas) putting on tour? How is his "technique" doing? Why does the fit, sexy, columbian tan guy sprawl himself out like he does? To "read" a putt? and he's -- (I'll let you look it up) in putting avg. on tour? hummmmmm...................... I rest my case..............

Nike 20XIx/Pro V1x

Seriously?

Get out of your little hole in Iowa and travel the world a little. Mostly everywhere BUT here in the US men wear tighter clothing. That's just the way it is.

As far as his putt reading, it's his technique. And if it works for him, that's great. Golf doesn't have to be so cookie cutter like. Some flare is GOOD.
R7 Superquad 10.5* REAX regular flex shaft
FT 5 wood
675XC forged irons 3-PW, True Temper DG SL stiff(S300) shafts
55* BeCu sandwedge
e6+ balls or ProV1
Cougar X-cat putter (odyssey 2-ball rip-off)

How is this guy (Villegas) putting on tour? How is his "technique" doing?

He's 29th in scoring on the PGA Tour, averaging a 70 per round, one stroke behind the Tour leader: Kenny Perry.

He's averaging 29 putts per round, 1.3 strokes behind the Tour Leader: Luke Donald. He's also made $1.2 million this year. So what does your point prove?

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

Seriously?

I thought it was a matter of time before me being from Iowa would be brought up............ but what does that have to do w/ anything? As far as "flare".... I agree, it can be good, and an attention getter, look at the driver that I play!

But my argument is that its just a bit too much...... it just seems to be too much to stand out and be recognized....... like he's going out of his way to achieve this..... and thats what bothers me........ Someone wanted to "quote" his putting stats but take a good look at them...... cause they're not that good..................

Nike 20XIx/Pro V1x

I could care less what a golfer is wearing if they have game, and Camilo has serious game. He hasn't won anything yet, but he is starting to put himself in contention more often in bigger tournaments. That's all that matters to me.

I would never wear the kind of clothes he wears because my belly is a lot bigger, but I don't hate him for it. Also, if the Spiderman position helps him read putts better, then good for him. These guys are playing for millions of dollars each week, and anything that helps can only be a good thing.

Camilo Villegas has become one of my favorites in the past 6 months or so. I enjoy seeing the flare he possesses on a weekly basis. It's good for the game.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I find this thread and thread starter's opinion very funny. First of all this is golf, an individual game. If you want other players to look the same you can look elsewhere, basketball perhaps? One team wears the same clothing called jerseys. But wait, some guys in the team can do flashy dunks but I guess the thread starter would think that's an attention getter too.

Difference brings in the flavor.
What's in the bag:
Driver: r7 SuperQuad 10.5° ~ UST Proforce V2 65g Regular
Wood: 906F4 18.5° ~ Aldila VS Proto 80g Stiff
Irons: MP-60 3-PW ~ True Temper Tour Concept S3
Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 252.08, SM56.10 & SM60.08Putter: Marxman Mallet 33"

Note: This thread is 4433 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!