IGNORED

2I Hybrid vs. 5 Wood

Note: This thread is 6711 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I realize that there are different strokes for different folks and that there is not substitute for trying something out myself, but I wanted to ask you all what you found to be the advantages/disadvantages/differences between a 2 iron hybrid versus a 5 wood. From the looks of things most people don’t seem to use a 5 wood, certainly not when you look in a pro’s bag.

But I ask because as a beginner I have struggled with an 18 degree hybrid but have done better with a similarly lofted 5 wood. That is mainly off the tee. From the fairway I can’t seem to hit a wood at all.

I am bringing this up as I went out today to possibly purchase a new 5 wood and when I was at Dicks the sales associate told me he would exchange a couple of head covers I had gotten a couple of weeks ago for the correct ones. When I went home to fetch the incorrect covers the phone rang, and it was Edwin Watts telling me they now had in stock an 18 degree Nike CPR2 that I had been looking for. So sight unseen I decided to get it, figuring what the hell, I have all the other CPRs and may as well finish off the hybrid ‘set’ (stupid reason, I know, but they look good in the bag).

Then, knowing I had to go back to Dicks to exchange head covers, I said what the hell and snagged a new Taylor Made 3 wood in lieu of a 5 wood (although I like the Taylor Made so much, I am now wondering if the 5 wood would have been better than the Nike 2I / 3I hybrid).

Anywho, enough rambling, what are your all’s experiences?

honestly i like using wood than a hybrid club...i hit better with a wood in the fairway than a hybrid...
Handicap Index: 16.4
Driver: Taylormade Burner 9.5 Degree
Wood: Nike Sasquatch 2 , Honshin Wood
Hybrid: Taylormade Rescue Dual 22 Degree
Iron: Macgregor Mactech M685 (4-PW)Wedge: Honshin Professional Wedge 56 Degree , Adam Golf Tom Watson 2007 Wedge 60 DegreePutter: Honshin PutterBall: Taylormade TP/Red

If that new hybrid plays anything like the Nickent hybrid I played this summer you'll not regret it. Hybrids (as a general rule) are great off the tee and stupid easy to hit off the deck. I don't think you'll mind the hybrid one bit IMHO.

Jeff

10.5° Callaway FT-iZ Tour

18°, 20°, 23° Adams Idea Pro Prototype Hybrid

4-9 Titleist 690.CB
48° Titleist Vokey Tour Nickel
54°, 58° Titleist Vokey Tour Oil Can

Scotty Cameron NP2, 33"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I really like to see that Titleist 503U the tour players are using, looks sweet!
DBake
Titleist 909D3 10.5* Tour Green 89 Stiff
Titleist 906F2 15* v2 85 Stiff
Mizuno MP-30 2-PW S300
Mizuno MP-R 52* & 59*Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5Titleist Pro V1Leupold GX-1The Home Course (75.7/130)

Most 5 woods are around 18 degrees and most 7 woods are around 21 so the 7 wood might be a better comparison.

Comparing a fairway wood with a hybrid of the same lofts the fairway wood should fly longer because the length of the shaft is longer.

Depending on the course I will switch between a 5 wood and hybrid

I realize the standard loft of the 5 wood is about 18 degrees (mine is 19 I believe, but its a beginners set) but I made the comparison because it seems to me that most people use the 5 wood to replace a 2 iron (or vise versa) and the Nike CPR I have is considered their 2I / 3I club.

Instead of starting a new thread, I will pose another question to you all:

I picked up a Taylor Made 3 wood that I liked after hitting it in the golf simulator. I liked it so much I looked online to see what else Taylor Made had to offer in the same line and I found they make a 13 degree wood called a 'Tour Spoon' that spec wise is exactly the same as the 15 degree 3 wood, except for the two degree difference.

So since I am still not able to come even close to hitting a driver and have been teeing off with a 3 wood I was thinking that I should return the 3 wood and get the 13 degree for some possible extra difference. But I cannot find anyone in town that has one for me to hit first so I would have to buy one online, not knowing if I will be able to hit the new club as well.

One potential advantage is I could later get a 4 wood to fill in the gap between my 'Tour spoon' and 2/3 hybrid. Of course a downside would be that once I finally got the hang of the big stick the 13 degree wood would probably be of little use and I may have to go back and get a 3 wood.

So... Stick with the 3 wood and patiently wait until I can use a real driver? Or swap it for a 2 wood to use off the tee? Keep in mind most high handicappers I know tell me they still can't hit their drivers consitently enough to use them.

I realize the standard loft of the 5 wood is about 18 degrees (mine is 19 I believe, but its a beginners set) but I made the comparison because it seems to me that most people use the 5 wood to replace a 2 iron (or vise versa) and the Nike CPR I have is considered their 2I / 3I club.

I have to ask you are you sure that club is spec wise like a regular 3 wood? I have a couple of Taylor Made tour spoons and they have significantly smaller heads than a regular 3 wood. Because of the head size they can be much more difficult to hit. I could be wrong but I think what you are actually looking for is a strong 3 wood or a 3+ not a tour spoon. I know Titliest and Callaway both produce a 3+ wood 13 degrees with the same size head as a normal 3 wood. Anyone else out there know anything about this?

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

I switched my 5 wood for a 19* hybrid and have been very happy with the results. I have a lot more control and hit much more straight shots with the hybrid. I did have graphite in my 5 wood and switched to Rifle Airlite in the hybrid, which could have a little to do with it.

Oddly enough, I hit the hybrid better of the deck than the tee.

Ah, I thought the Tour Spoon was like a 3+ or perhaps a 2 Wood; I was not used to that name, other than thinking that 'Spoon' was the old word for 3 Wood (and Brassie for a 2?). And I don't know exactly what the head specs are, I was just referring to the specs listed on the Taylor Made site.

But my goal is to have a club for off the tee that is not a driver. I did try a 14 degree ping that was smaller than the 15 degree Taylor Made I have now, but I liked feel of the Taylor Made better and in my brief time in the simulator hit it futher too.

So... Stick with the 3 wood and patiently wait until I can use a real driver? Or swap it for a 2 wood to use off the tee? Keep in mind most high handicappers I know tell me they still can't hit their drivers consitently enough to use them.

Stick with the 15 degree 3 wood, remember loft is your friend, 13 degree 2 woods are not very forgiving. Don't let people (yourself included) bully or pressure you into hitting a driver. There are some days that I will actually bag my driver because I'm not hitting it well but I'm hitting my 3 wood great.

Golf Galaxy, which I forgot to check yesterday, had the Tour Spoon so I decided to give it a couple of whacks and was surprised at how different it felt from the 3 wood. Perhaps it was the graphite shaft as opposed to the steel I wound up getting. I didn't really hit it any more or less straight, but I definitly don't think I hit it as far.

Being somewhat new to all this I am not sure why, but if my understanding of golf physics is correct then new/low speed hitters like me need backspin to get the ball up and out so perhaps the 2 degrees on the 3 wood gave me more spin.

Edwin Watts sent the wrong club :/ They sent me a Nike 18 degree but with the regular graphite shaft instead of the Irod (which I have on the other 3). So I decided to send it back and get my money back while I try to decide on what clubs, if any, I need inbetween my 3 wood and my 3/4 22 degree hybrid.

Note: This thread is 6711 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!