IGNORED

Legends Reno-Tahoe Open...Michelle Wie is playing!

underparnv
Note: This thread is 5756 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

It's a win-win situation for her. If she gets cut, she wasn't supposed to be able to compete anyway. If she makes it, then she will get even more publicity than ever.

I don't see it as a win win. If she misses the cut by a ton of strokes, people will just laugh or have pity on her. How is that a good thing? Now if she makes the cut, yes she will finally win. But what a long shot.

Oh well, our opinion really doesn't matter. Shes playing, like it or not.

Sub 70 849 9* driver

:callaway:  Rogue 3 & 5 woods, Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids

:tmade: SIM 2 6-gap irons

:cobra:  King snakebite grove wedges 52 & 58*

:ping: Heppler ZB3 putter

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We've already seen Wei do this over and over, it's no longer a novelty. I won't be watching because she doesn't have the game. I'm not going to try and understand what in the world she is thinking. She should be concentrating on getting her LPGA card, but at this point who really cares?

2009 Burner R
FT-I Fusion Squareway 3W 15* Fujikura Speeder Fit-On R
5W R7 R
FT Fusion Hybrids Draw 3/21*, 4/24*
G5 5-PW X-forged Vintage: 52.12, 56.14MDScotty Cameron: Newport 2 ProV1

We've already seen Wei do this over and over, it's no longer a novelty. I won't be watching because she doesn't have the game. I'm not going to try and understand what in the world she is thinking. She should be concentrating on getting her LPGA card, but at this point who really cares?

Exactly! What makes matters even worse is that seemingly nobody on the LPGA tour respects her... When I was watching her(Wie) hit balls on the range at the U.S. Womens Open, the body language of the other players warming up around her was tense(if not hostile) toward her... And can you blame them? Wie cannot even win(much less dominate) on the LPGA... She is insulting other(better) LPGA players by trying to play in mens events... It makes little or no sense. BTW: Wie is likely getting a hefty show up fee for the event, whether she makes the cut or not. (which doesn't do much to help her credibility)

X-460 9.5* tour Driver/Fujikura stiff
X-15* tour 3 wood/Fujikura stiff
3DX 18.5* Hybrid/Aldila stiff
681 3-PW/Project X 6.0 (now in bag)
X-16 Pro Series Irons/Dynamic Gold S300 54* and 58* wedges Anser Sn putter

• Administrator
BTW: Wie is likely getting a hefty show up fee for the event, whether she makes the cut or not. (which doesn't do much to help her credibility)

Uhm, no. Appearance fees are expressly forbidden on the PGA Tour. So no.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think that the more that she does this, the less of a "novelty" it will become. Eventually, we'll find someone who can compete on the men's tour. Whenever that woman gets to that level, the ground will already have been paved and she can get on with playing instead of dealing with the circus.

Let Wie be the circus so that she can open the door for whenever a real competitor comes along. It will happen one day. When? Who knows. But it will happen. And when it does, she won't have to struggle like previous women have.

10.5* Driver (don't really ever use it)
3w, 5w
23* hybrid
5i through PW, SW
60* Wedge.....................................................................mellojoe

But frequently players are paid in other ways as a way to incentivise their appearance-ie..shares, free flights, property interests etc.

Just when I thought she was going to tone it down, go to school, and play on the LPGA occasionally, she does this. Yet another mistake. I am tired of her thinking she can compete on the PGA when she can't even compete on the LPGA!

Given all that she's gone through, I wonder how much SHE really wants to do this, vs. her dad/caddie/manager/whatever... wanting her to.

To me, winning here seems to me a do or die situation for continuing on the tour next year, whereby she has to win enough money (about $80K) to finish in the top 80 LPGA players.

That's a lot of pressue. Too much, I think.
In my Grom bag...

Driver: 07 Burner
Woods: 07 Burner 3W, 5W
Irons: 3-PW R7 TPWedges: MP-56*, MP-60*Putter: White Hot XG #9GPS : SC3

Everyone here that knows she is only allowed to play a limited number of events on the LPGA Tour in 2008 please raise your hand. She is down to the last few events that she can play in that count towards earning a card for next year. Therefore, she needs to find other events that she can play in this year to help her improve her game and prepare her for competetive golf.

She will not win in Reno. She will not contend in Reno. She likely won't make the cut. That doesn't mean that it can't help her game. If I entered in the Syron, it's one of the bigger local tournaments, I would not win. I would not contend. I likely would have my ass handed to me, but it might make me a better player.

There is also the assumption that she is being forced to play in these events. Maybe Michelle wants to test her game. She was playing great before the of course blunder. Unfortunately, had she won or even finished second she would have status for the rest of the year on the LPGA Tour and would likely not be playing in Reno.
Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

Who says the PGA tour needs to know? I remember about two years ago, I was watching the golf channel and someone(seemingly in the know) slipped and said something about it... (they were refering to Wie playing in a mens events at the time about 2 years ago).

At any rate, I still feel that Wie making $4 million more than world #1 Ochoa is wrong.

Who says the PGA tour needs to know? I remember about two years ago, I was watching the golf channel and someone(seemingly in the know) slipped and said something about it... (they were refering to Wie playing in a mens events at the time about 2 years ago).

How many people outside of die hard golf fans know who Lorena Ochoa is? About $4 million per year less than Michelle Wie. Fair or not, Michelle Wie is still one of, if not, the most visible female athlete in the world. Companies pay big money for that. As a golf fan I may be more likely to buy something golf related that Ochoa endorses, but that is a small demographic. Michelle Wie can endorse clothes, watches, Sony, etc. She crosses over to the non-golf fan.

Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

How many people outside of die hard golf fans know who Lorena Ochoa is? About $4 million per year less than Michelle Wie. Fair or not, Michelle Wie is still one of, if not, the most visible female athlete in the world. Companies pay big money for that. As a golf fan I may be more likely to buy something golf related that Ochoa endorses, but that is a small demographic. Michelle Wie can endorse clothes, watches, Sony, etc. She crosses over to the non-golf fan.

Michelle Wie won't be able to endorse anything anymore when the companies paying her realize what a big waste of money she is. One of the most visible female athletes in the world? This doesn't say anything good about the world-wide state of female athletics does it?

That is just it... The only thing that is making Wie "visible" is hype... It certainly is NOT performance, and again... is why Wie gets little to no respect from the others on the LPGA.

And it might just be me... but I'd rather be bulldog marketed a Sony product by Jessica Alba than Wie... let's get Alba some clubs and a contract with Nike. (as in Wie's case Alba would not have to perform on the course and she would likely fit the crossover with non-golf fans better than Wie)

That is just it... The only thing that is making Wie "visible" is hype... It certainly is NOT performance, and again... is why Wie gets little to no respect from the others on the LPGA.

Marketing. Man, it can make you or break you. She's got great marketing and a great marketed image. Whether you like her or not, she's extremely marketable.

10.5* Driver (don't really ever use it)
3w, 5w
23* hybrid
5i through PW, SW
60* Wedge.....................................................................mellojoe

Marketing. Man, it can make you or break you. She's got great marketing and a great marketed image. Whether you like her or not, she's extremely marketable.

Have you heard an interview she's done...well...like...you know....have you????

Let's see...forget to sign a scorecard last week in a tournament you probably would have choked in anyway, and not have won. Reward???? Play against the boys in 2 weeks, and hope the lottery numbers come in. But as always, they win...I'll watch, just to see Wie and the soap opera.

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

I just dont understand that chick, I dont even see how she is a pro she just needs to quit. Wht makes her think that she can go out with the big dawgs and even contend, it is quite funny to me that she is gona make a fool out of her self again, but wait she is use to looking like a fool. Anyways its gona be funny I gota make sure to have plenty of depends cause i'll be laughing so hard that I'm gona piss my self.

If anyone knows the answer to this questin I would love to know. What is the PGA thinking letting her play? Did she go to Q school, is she anywhere on any money list besides a marketing stand point? I just dont get it the PGA is so strict on qualifying to the point where they wont let a player with tons of talent who misses the cut in Q school by a stroke but they will let a no talent, winey, washed up over-rated girl come out and play. Maybe the PGA should re-evaluate it's self in a whole, they say they are about tradition but I think there is a lack of tradition all toghether. Amazing.

Whooooooo cares??? Not me. I wish people would just leave it alone. She's gonna miss the cut by a mile. Eventually she will figure out what's up, and play with the girls...or she will fade away. She doesn't deserve all of the attention. From media coverage, to 8 pages of forums. If people stop caring, the subject will go away. Wait until she actually DOES something before you give her this many pages on a golf forum. That's my first and last post to a Wie forum topic, until she does something worthwhile.
Let's talk about Chez Reavie. He appears to be actually doing something.

Note: This thread is 5756 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!