IGNORED

Hybrid Clubs

Note: This thread is 5752 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

If you can hit a 3 and 4 iron, why would you need to go to a hybrid? Just curious, most of my playing partners are using hybrids and I haven't made the plunge yet....not sure I need to.
What's in my bag:

G5 10.5 degree Driver
G5 3 wood
G5 3-PWTour 52, 56 & 60 degree wedgesPro V1 weapons of mass destructionPinseeker 1500 Rangefinder

I was thinking about getting one for the par 5's. I mean I can hit my 5W great off the tee, about 200 yards, but on the fairway i'm useless with it. I usually don't get my full distance with a 3I because I hold back on the swing to opt for control.

Cleveland Hibore xls tour w/ fujikura gold, stiff
flex
Northwestern - 5 wood
3-9 silverback 845cm
48, 54, 60 (silver scot) DetourBalls WarbirdBag Warbird Hot I want a 1 and 2 hybrid.....any recommendations?

I was thinking about getting one for the par 5's. I mean I can hit my 5W great off the tee, about 200 yards, but on the fairway i'm useless with it. I usually don't get my full distance with a 3I because I hold back on the swing to opt for control.

See this is where the hybrid comes in 100%. I can't hit my woods off the tee either. However i can hit a 3h about 210(which absolutely blows my mind). I was playing one of the worst rounds of golf the other day and my uncle let me use his rapture hybrid. Hit it off the tee then again after that and made all the par 4's and short par 5's in 2.

I can swing faster with a hybrid than my 3 and 4 iron. However, I didn't really want to replace my 4 iron as i can still jack the hell out of that club. But my set comes standard with a 3h and 4h. I might just buy a 4 iron. Plus I'm only going to have about 10 clubs in my bag!

In my Extreme Sport Stand Bag
Driver: 4DX D-Spec Driver 10.5* Stiff UST SR3
3W: F-60 15* Regular Fujikura E150 Fit-On
Hybrids: 4DX Ironwoods 20* 23* Regular UST SR3
Irons: 4DX CB 5-PW Stiff True Temper ST-90Wedges: Vokey 50* 56*Putter: SabertoothBall: DT Roll

i've owned 4 different hybrids and the Adams A3OS is by FAR the best i've ever used. i use the #5 version, and it hits 190-200(choke down for less yardage too) with the sweetest metal "ting" noise you've ever heard. it's strength is when you're just off the fairway in the longer grass. the grass doesn't seem to affect the club very much at all, like it would to an iron. highly recommended if you go the hybrid route.

you would figure that when you go for a green with this kind of club that the ball will just release when you hit the green and roll off, not so! the ball seems to land softly,and stay. hell of a club.

My Blog

So do you think I should try out the hybrid for the long fairway shots, or just stick to my current setup?

Hey, I'm giving you permission to try a hybrid.

Good luck!
iQuestGolfer
It's not about what's in your bag; it's about what you do with the clubs in your hand. Play iQuest Golf.
SQ 460 9.5*, ProForce V2, FlexS
3W Offset SZ, MR-SL60, FlexR
SlingShot 20*, hDiamana Mitsu Rayon, FlexSMaltby Recoil Irons, 4-PW, SW FlexR RAC Wedge Black TP, 60*, 12*bounce XG...

Yeah, Id say go demo a hybrid and just see how you like it. Im personally not a hybrid fan. I tried 'em and just dont care for them. Im so much more comfortable and confident with a long iron.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

If you can hit a 3 and 4 iron, why would you need to go to a hybrid? Just curious, most of my playing partners are using hybrids and I haven't made the plunge yet....not sure I need to.

Same reason as most players don't use hickory shafts and persimmon-headed woods any more, no matter how well they hit them: the performance of the modern clubs is better, they're more forgiving of off-centre shots, they make the game more fun for the amateur and more competitive for the pros - there are going to be fewer catastrophic results of mis-hits.

but i never could hit a two-iron to save my life.

I'm not that great of a golfer, but I'm quickly improving. One of the things that let me do that was a hybrid club. I LOVE them.

For me, they have become a true utility club... I can tee off with it to get 200 to 215 yards and still maintain control (which I can't do with a wedge or driver at the moment). Great for hitting off of long fairways (which I have trouble doing with a fairway wood), and great for getting distance when hitting out of the rough.

Definitely try one. If there's a shop near you, some of them will let you try a "store" club before you buy.

i've owned 4 different hybrids and the Adams A3OS is by FAR the best i've ever used. i use the #5 version, and it hits 190-200(choke down for less yardage too) with the sweetest metal "ting" noise you've ever heard. it's strength is when you're just off the fairway in the longer grass. the grass doesn't seem to affect the club very much at all, like it would to an iron. highly recommended if you go the hybrid route.

I agree, I hit my neighbors Adams A3OS for the first time the other day. I was hitting his #3 250 yards with ease. I recently purchased a Clevland Halo which i do like. If it would have been a week sooner w/out ? I would have grabed the A3OS. And it def does have the SWEETEST ping sound ever ! Think I may still grab one anyway !

I recently bought into the hybrid trend and got a Ping G10 21*. It did take a while getting used to swinging the club because you need to swing it easy like a wood, but it's short like an iron. Also, I found that most hybrids promote a draw flight tendency, so that's something else you need to take into consideration. However, after getting used to it, it is quite a useful little tool on the course. I get a consistent 215 out of the club, and it is easy to hit out of different lies.

Driver:  R11S 10.5°, Fairway Woods:  909 F2 15.5°, Hybrid:  G10 21°

Irons:  Tour Preferred MC 4-P, Wedges:  Vokey SM 52.08, 56.10, 60.04

Putter:  Tei3 Newport II / Circa 62 #3, Ball:  Pro V1X / NXT Tour

my grandpa just got a new hybrid, 3 iron, the club is awesome, they can hit really far and are very comfortable.

Its not always how you drive the ball, but how it arrives.

Note: This thread is 5752 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!