IGNORED

Dress Codes: Good or Bad for the Game?

NM Golf
Note: This thread is 1394 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Dress Codes  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Dress Codes: Good or Bad for the Game

• Good for the game
    • Bad for the game

See? If you're not a diva you're not welcome.

In the bag:
Lady Tiger Shark 5 Hybrid
Lady Tiger Shark 9 Iron
Adams a70S Hybrid Gap Wedge
Adams Lady Fairway 1007 Putter

Originally Posted by Moxie Dawn

See? If you're not a diva you're not welcome.

There is a place for bums and a place for the better dressed - no need for them to mix for everyone to be happy.

I once got paired with 2 guys that were kicked out of 2 other courses that morning for wearing jeans - they obviously believed in what they were doing as I was happy when my friend finally showed so I did not have to play with them.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by meenman

wrong again - the guy in jeans can play his $10/round course in a cow pasture all day long - he doesnt belong with the normal public

Wow. What a disappointing response.  Anyone that feels the same way do, should certainly join a private club and avoid municipals; which is fine.  By no means, am I saying people should ignore dress code, and any course can choose any dress code they want, which is also fine by me,  but to say that a new golfer (or any) golfer does not belong with the normal public (course(s)) in jeans, is absurd.

I honestly think that opinions like yours are hurting the thread topic here, of encouraging new players to pursue the game.  The game is meant to be fun, relaxing and competitive (if you choose) and should not thought of in the terms of status or appearance in any way outside of the guidelines put out by the individual establishments.

Originally Posted by BWChuck

Wow. What a disappointing response.  Anyone that feels the same way do, should certainly join a private club and avoid municipals; which is fine.  By no means, am I saying people should ignore dress code, and any course can choose any dress code they want, which is also fine by me,  but to say that a new golfer (or any) golfer does not belong with the normal public (course(s)) in jeans, is absurd.

I honestly think that opinions like yours are hurting the thread topic here, of encouraging new players to pursue the game.  The game is meant to be fun, relaxing and competitive (if you choose) and should not thought of in the terms of status or appearance in any way outside of the guidelines put out by the individual establishments.

Do you go out on a first date in jeans and a t-shirt? If you do, does that woman have more than 3 teeth? Do you show up to a job interview in jeans? There is appropriate dress for everything and those that choose to dress like animals belong with them.

Follow me on twitter

People who wear jeans are animals and date toothless women? Remind me to just stick with fishing and avoid golf. Actually, you don't have to remind me.

As for a date, it depends on the date, don't you think? It might also depend on the job. My impression of you is extremely elitist. Do you need to wear a suit and take her to a fancy restaurant to impress her? If you do, you're shopping for women with the wrong priorities. And I guess you've never worked an ordinary person's job or a labor job. I'm glad, because those suck. You must have an awesome life.

In the bag:
Lady Tiger Shark 9 Iron

People who wear jeans are animals and date toothless women? Remind me to just stick with fishing and avoid golf. Actually, you don't have to remind me.

As for a date, it depends on the date, don't you think? It might also depend on the job. My impression of you is extremely elitist. Do you need to wear a suit and take her to a fancy restaurant to impress her? If you do, you're shopping for women with the wrong priorities. And I guess you've never worked an ordinary person's job or a labor job. I'm glad, because those suck. You must have an awesome life.

You wouldn't want to golf with him anyway. You'd spend 5 hours trudging through the underbrush tearing up your nice slacks helping him find his Pro V1x.

• Upvote 2

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

There is appropriate dress for everything and those that are determined to wear jeans on the golf course are nothing more than rebels without a cause. I do ordinary mans work and jeans are not acceptable there either.

Bottom line - there is a place for everything - welfare peeps and jean addicts are not welcome where I play,

Follow me on twitter

Welfare peeps. Did you say "peeps" so you can have street cred? It ain't working.

Has it occurred to you that maybe some people are just ignorant? Ignorance can be cured with instruction, example and encouragement. I understand that slacks and a collared shirt are the "uniform," and perhaps that's how you should sell it to the guys in jeans. In a friendly way, if that's possible for you, you could suggest they would get more respect on the course if they suit up. I only hope the presence of Levi's on the course doesn't affect your game.

In the bag:
Lady Tiger Shark 9 Iron

Welfare peeps. Did you say "peeps" so you can have street cred? It ain't working.

Has it occurred to you that maybe some people are just ignorant? Ignorance can be cured with instruction, example and encouragement. I understand that slacks and a collared shirt are the "uniform," and perhaps that's how you should sell it to the guys in jeans. In a friendly way, if that's possible for you, you could suggest they would get more respect on the course if they suit up. I only hope the presence of Levi's on the course doesn't affect your game.

I deal with enough ignorant peeps during the week, i am not going to instruct them during my weekend time.

People wearing Levi's will never affect my game - they are not allowed through the front gate even for a drink, never mind a round of golf.

There are courses that allow jeans, that is fine - it is my choice whether to play there or not. I have a few in-laws that I can only bring to certain courses because they dont get the normal dress code - such is life, i deal with it for the day.

Follow me on twitter

He's not wrong about  country clubs and jeans. I think in his "neck 'o the woods" though, there must be a lack of quality courses in between country clubs and cow $10 per day cow pastures. It's a regional thing.  I'd do a double take if I saw jeans at a local private course and I'd be surprised if I didn't see at least one person in jeans (including the owners) at Wolf Creek (long time home of the Alberta Open - a stop on the Canadian Tour).

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

There is appropriate dress for everything and those that are determined to wear jeans on the golf course are nothing more than rebels without a cause. I do ordinary mans work and jeans are not acceptable there either.

Bottom line - there is a place for everything - welfare peeps and jean addicts are not welcome where I play,

Do you go out on a first date in jeans and a t-shirt? If you do, does that woman have more than 3 teeth? Do you show up to a job interview in jeans? There is appropriate dress for everything and those that choose to dress like animals belong with them.

This all say a lot about your character.  I live and work in silicon valley, home of Google's headquarters (the F500 #1 company to work for, and #73 F500 total ranking), where jeans are the standard; including executives. Most other companies in the valley operate in similar manners.  Standards are constantly changing, and if you think that your work/CC atmosphere is or should be the universal standard for appropriateness, your perceptions are incredibly delusional.

Originally Posted by BWChuck

This all say a lot about your character.  I live and work in silicon valley, home of Google's headquarters (the F500 #1 company to work for, and #73 F500 total ranking), where jeans are the standard; including executives. Most other companies in the valley operate in similar manners.  Standards are constantly changing, and if you think that your work/CC atmosphere is or should be the universal standard for appropriateness, your perceptions are incredibly delusional.

Or that you are ghetto - I would tend to believe that normal standards would be right.

The next time I walk into a country club full of jeans wearing hippies will be the first time.

Remember california also thinks smoking the hippie lettuce is ok - so dont pretend that their *standards* are normal

Follow me on twitter

There seems to be a pattern emerging in meenman's posts.

Welfare peeps.

Bums.

Ghetto.

Hippies.

Toothless women.

Cow pastures.

It would have saved time if you just said POOR PEOPLE.

In the bag:
Lady Tiger Shark 9 Iron

There seems to be a pattern emerging in meenman's posts.

Welfare peeps.

Bums.

Ghetto.

Hippies.

Toothless women.

Cow pastures.

It would have saved time if you just said POOR PEOPLE.

You said it, not me - and if that is the case - golf should be the least of their problems since they probably cant afford a box of noodles. Maybe they should worry about bathing and feeding their kids before they take up a game that is not cheap.

Follow me on twitter

Originally Posted by The Recreational Golfer

Moxie, meeman, sean, everybody else -- what does all this have to do with finding ways to get more people interested in golf?

My initial foray into the concerns an average person might not be welcomed on the course is what led to this, so I'll back up and say it like this: If it is possible to do so, perhaps by lowering fees or establishing courses with a more everyman demeanor, more new people might give the game a try. Because golf has an image that we toothless commoners don't fit into. Or we feel that we don't. And you know what they say. Perception is reality.

In the bag:
Lady Tiger Shark 9 Iron

My initial foray into the concerns an average person might not be welcomed on the course is what led to this, so I'll back up and say it like this: If it is possible to do so, perhaps by lowering fees or establishing courses with a more everyman demeanor, more new people might give the game a try. Because golf has an image that we toothless commoners don't fit into. Or we feel that we don't. And you know what they say. Perception is reality.

Honestly, the poor do not fit in. The cost of building courses and the upkeep is insane. Fact of life - it costs to play and there is no need for non-profit golf courses. It is not necessarily a rich mans sport - but it is a luxury. I dont believe in feeding the homeless, there is no need to make golf a right of theirs.

Follow me on twitter

(Just so nobody is confused, these last several posts were moved to this thread from a different one, and the topic of that thread was how to get more people interested in playing golf. Basically I said that people with less means are intimidated to show up at a course not knowing how to play, pulling second-hand equipment and basically not fitting in. There's a concern you won't be welcomed that deters people from giving it a go. Feel free to correct me in that thread so we don't get scolded.)

Honestly, the poor do not fit in. The cost of building courses and the upkeep is insane. Fact of life - it costs to play and there is no need for non-profit golf courses. It is not necessarily a rich mans sport - but it is a luxury. I dont believe in feeding the homeless, there is no need to make golf a right of theirs.

Now you're just getting absurd. Of course a person who is literally poor shouldn't be out playing golf. But for you to sit here and equate allowing a more casual atmosphere on the golf course with feeding the homeless (and I'm not exactly sure what would be wrong with that either), is just silly. The contempt for people of lesser means with which your posts ooze is exactly what I'm talking about. You are the poster boy for the stereotypical country club snob. I pray you never fall on hard times because you won't be able to associate with yourself.

In the bag:
Lady Tiger Shark 9 Iron

(Just so nobody is confused, these last several posts were moved to this thread from a different one, and the topic of that thread was how to get more people interested in playing golf. Basically I said that people with less means are intimidated to show up at a course not knowing how to play, pulling second-hand equipment and basically not fitting in. There's a concern you won't be welcomed that deters people from giving it a go. Feel free to correct me in that thread so we don't get scolded.)

You are basically insane as is anybody else that wouldnt play for some of these reasons. No one cares what you play for clubs or balls. The only reason I know which ball my partner played in todays tourney was because 9 holes of it was alternate shot.

You should look respectable, know when to pick up your ball, hit when it is your turn and keep up pace of play. You would be amazed how many people would accept you for these few things.

Golf is not easy - many give up because they are not instantly good at it. No matter what technological advances there are in equipment, the average joe is not going to take the time to practice.

The only way to grow the game is to get kids involved at a young age and again, that is tough. I see a few psychotic parents watching over their *prodigy* during lessons (i know if I was that kid I would probably give up the game the minute they turned their back.)

It is a boring game to a lot of kids - todays's golfers are going to have to introduce their kids into it for it to grow. But let's be honest, many of us never thought anything our parents did was *cool.*

Follow me on twitter

Note: This thread is 1394 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!