IGNORED

Dress Codes: Good or Bad for the Game?

NM Golf
Note: This thread is 1335 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Dress Codes  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Dress Codes: Good or Bad for the Game

• Good for the game
    • Bad for the game

Looked for a thread on this and nothing hit on it exactly so here goes. What do you think, are dress codes good or bad for the game of golf.

I voted good for the game and below I explain why.

As I drove into the golf course today I saw some jackass with a tank top and basketball shorts on walking into the proshop and I thought to myself I wish we had some type of dress code.

The course where I work and play (and live almost) does not have a dress code of any sort. So what we get are a bunch of idiots that would look just as at home standing on a street corner. Its pathetic, I have even had them say that they play there because they can where whatever thay want.

The big problem with those people is if you do not have enough sense to dress somewhat appropriately to go to the course, then you certainly don't have enough sense to have any sort of etiquette while on it.

I guess my rambling point is be happy if you play somewhere that has a strict dress code. From someone who sees it everyday, dress codes are good for the game.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I like dress codes. I just don't know if I like the strict ones that basically tell you what you can wear.

For the most part I agree with the following:

No tank tops
No jeans
No cargo shorts (although I have seen some decent looking ones that I would think could be ok)

A tank top on a golf course? Basketball shorts? I mean, seriously, do you even need a dress code to realize that it's just inappropriate?

I just think people lack common sense and dignity. There are plenty of nice clothing that does not adhere to the collared shirt policy. Example, Burberry makes beautiful crew neck, microfiber shirts. Nautica does the same with their v-neck line. Neither one is more than $30.

Some people are either just lazy or disrespectful. Most of the places I play don't have a dress code. At those places, I dress the way I would if I were going to the office. For me, it's about respect for myself and others.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

Its good for the game,i saw a guy playing in a wife beater shirt once.Its not hard to put on a collared shirt e.t.c

aeroburner tp 10.5 stiff
superfast tp 2.0 3 wood stiff
Halo 25 and taylormade tp 19 degree hybrids
miura cb 202 and wedge
tp 52* wedge, tp 56* taylormade spider mallet putter

I voted bad for the game. I'll explain.

First of all, I agree that a beater or torn ripped up stuff is unappropriate. BUT....... I think it's very unnecessary to force people to wear colored shirts and ban jeans at most courses. When I golf I wear jean shorts and a tshirt. And I see many people doing the same. Really...at does there need to be a ban on this kinda stuff for a course the is $13 for 9 holes?

I think if you're going to a course that requires a dress code you will know it. But really does it really harm you're game to see someone wearing jeans on the golf course? I personally hate the face that everyone thinks they have to wear colored shirts and plaid shorts/pants. Wear what's comfortable.

Good for the game.

I agree with you. Dress and etiquette go hand in hand.

Our club has undergone a change in dress code. We now allow jeans into the club. Of course, they are supposed to be nice jeans; however, a wife of a well-heeled member was told she couldn't come into the club with the jeans she had on and it got bad. The jeans were the designer, $250+ ripped and frayed kind that did make her look "pricy" - OK, she looked like a hooker. Anyway, you can see where this is leading.

No more coat and tie in the main dinning room because people are dressing casual all the time now, frayed cargo pants on the course with un-tucked shirts and the ocassional pants down below the hips. It's going to get worse before it gets better now that the bar has been lowered. And, who wants to police the dress codes anymore? With all the the self-righteousness of "entitled" members, the potential litigation and hassel... is it worth it? Most right thinking members are throwing up their hands in resignation.

I have noticed that the fashion elites are designing golf apparel that goes right of the edge of style and appropriate dress for golf. With the number of courses and clubs vying for dollars and the economy slipping, I can see clubs and courses trying to get "golfers" on the courses and paying dues any way they can.

The next year or two will be interesting.

iQuestGolfer
It's not about what's in your bag; it's about what you do with the clubs in your hand. Play iQuest Golf.
SQ 460 9.5*, ProForce V2, FlexS
3W Offset SZ, MR-SL60, FlexR
SlingShot 20*, hDiamana Mitsu Rayon, FlexSMaltby Recoil Irons, 4-PW, SW FlexR RAC Wedge Black TP, 60*, 12*bounce XG...

good for the game. most other sports have a uniform.
golf's uniform is hardly a uniform. I just don't ever want to see people wearing wife beaters playing golf. I'm okay with t-shirts and any other collared shirts and mock golf shirts. I hate cargo shorts and jeans don't really belong on the golf course (unless its really cold and you're wearing multiple layers I think it's somewhat acceptable).

XTD Pro - 9.5* - GD YSQ
GS Tour - 15* -GD Red Ice
Rescue TP - 17* - Fujikura TP
Idea Pro Gold - 20* - Mitsubishi JavlnFX
MP-30, 4-PW - Standard Lofts / 2* flat - TT DG RAC Z TP (54*/10*) X-Forged (60*/10*)Scotty Cameron TeI3 - 35"

I'll leave the cargo shorts part alone, as this is getting beaten to death in another thread, but I have no problem with a no jeans/ t shirt policy. I don't think it is an unreasonable request, and I hate that players on tour get to these "mock" turtleneck shirts. I think they look like like fancy tshirts...

in my grom stand bag:

Driver: HiBore 9.5* fujikura stiff
3w: HiBore 15* fujikura stiff
2i hybrid: HiBore fujikura stiff3-sw: MP-57 +1/2 2* up stiff steelPutter: 2ball SRT 36"GPS: SG3 Sky caddieCart:Clicgear 2.0Home Course: Lake Spanaway http://www.lakespanawaygc.com

I think a reasonable dress code is certainly in the good of the game. No jeans, no t-shirts, everything neat and tidy. If you don't like the dress code at a certain course you can always go elsewhere.

To me the way a person is attired for a round of golf says a bit about them, if a person can't respect a dress code then they are perhaps going to be lacking in other areas of their demeanour.

Bad for the game.

People who are bothered by what others wear on the course are even worse for the game.

The whole, "other sports have uniforms" argument is idiotic.

You can show up at your local basketball court wearing jeans a heals if you want. No one will stop you, will you preform? No, but you can wear them if you want.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with wearing a t-shirt, or cargo shorts, or a soccer jersey while playing golf. If you're comfortable in it, be free to wear it.
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

I would say it is good for the game, however, I know several munis that don't have a strict dress code and I know when I play there I will see some guys in jeans and an occasional tee shirt and I am fine with that. I normal play at courses that do require you to adhere to a strict code, and not for that reason, I just like the courses.
My Bag

Driver: Sumo 460 10.5º Stiff
4 & 7 Woods: T-40 Stiff
Irons: Tight Lies GT 3-PWWedges: Tom Watson SignaturePutter: Daiwa DG-245Ball: One PlatinumGone Golfin'

I personally hate the face that everyone thinks they have to wear colored shirts and plaid shorts/pants. Wear what's comfortable.

Hate the face? You can wear comfortable and it doesn't have to be expensive. It just has to be presentable... for the love of the game.

My observation is that those that dress down on the golf course generally don't fix the tees, tend to divots, repair ball marks... Is there a connection? I wouldn't like to think so, but...
iQuestGolfer
It's not about what's in your bag; it's about what you do with the clubs in your hand. Play iQuest Golf.
SQ 460 9.5*, ProForce V2, FlexS
3W Offset SZ, MR-SL60, FlexR
SlingShot 20*, hDiamana Mitsu Rayon, FlexSMaltby Recoil Irons, 4-PW, SW FlexR RAC Wedge Black TP, 60*, 12*bounce XG...

Saying that "a persons clothing on the golf course says a lot about their persona" in a condescending way is absolutely disgusting.

A person wearing a ****ing t-shirt is in no way inferior or less mentally prepared to play golf than someone wearing a polo.
  • Upvote 1

Hate the face? You can wear comfortable and it doesn't have to be expensive. It just has to be presentable... for the love of the game.

Presentable? I can wear a t-shirt to university, to see my grandmother, walking down the street, but not at a golf course?

Having dress codes just brings back the ugly past of golf.

absolutely no t-shirts or home made jean shorts(cut off) should be allowed. what's wrong with old fashioned? oh yeah, and a good shave and shower before the round should be mandatory too.
  • Like 1

My Blog

Saying that "a persons clothing on the golf course says a lot about their persona" in a condescending way is absolutely disgusting.

See, this is the grey area. Personally, it does not have to be a collared shirt . It just has to be neat.

Let me ask you a general question. I'm not being argumentative, just curious. Let's say you work for a major entertainment company. You're a mid level manager, you're pretty popular within the company. This company does not have a dress code. Nothing written. Do you go to work in basketball shorts? Ripped tee shirt? Tank top? Do you go in not looking neat?

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

See, this is the grey area. Personally, it does not have to be a collared shirt . It just has to be neat.

No, but that doesn't mean that I wouldn't want to.

Also, if I did, I wouldn't get fired. This is golf. Its a game. Its enjoyment. Its fun. Its to get away. Its for "everyone". Its not about advancing your career or trying to impress co-workers, customers, or potential contacts. I have nothing against dress codes in the PGA tour or at the work place. Dress codes on the golf course only shun more people away from the game.

Finally, don't get me wrong. I have nothing against dressing up on the golf course. I'm all for it, I think its fun. But if someone else doesn't want to wear something, I don't give a crap, let them wear what they want.

Note: This thread is 1335 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!