IGNORED

Fortress Wie---what went wrong.

PEZGolf
Note: This thread is 5757 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have posted that I like Michelle, and know that she has talent, which has been shown in the last month or so. HOWEVER-----------------I believe that she and her parents have gone down the WRONG PATH. They made these mistakes:

1. Showed disrespect to the LPGA Tour, the women players, and the nature of men vs. women on their respective Tours. To this day, she has not joined the LPGA Tour, I believe. She showed great disrepect to Annika last year by withdrawing from the Ginn tournament due to "injury" and then went right out and practiced!! Annika was very blunt in her comments about "disrespect", and Michelle lamely tried to defend herself.

2. Formed unrealistic expectations of Michelle's abilities. She cannot compete with the men, period. It is one thing to post decent scores on courses that are 6,400 yards long. It is another to think that you can go to courses that are 7,200 yards long and be competitive with men, who are stronger, and play those courses all the time. Michelle was quoted a few years ago of hoping to be invited to the Masters and MAKE THE RYDER CUP team!! If she was 7 years old, and said that, we could brush those comments off as coming from a young, immature child. She was 16.

3. Decision making: when her parents and Michelle have been asked "Who makes the major decisions?", the answer has been, "Michelle does". How can a 16 year old girl with limited knowledge, experience, and respect for the difficulty of the game of the golf have that power? Her parents are not "golf knowledgeable". Neither one was a professional golfer, and to the best of my knowledge, no one in her immediate family has been. They needed to rely on good advisors, and do WHAT THEY TOLD THEM. Instead, they erected a Fortress Wie and made their own decisions.

Contrast this with Earl and Tiger Woods. Earl had Tiger on the right path---play the Junior Amateur, the US Amateur, and college golf at Stanford, and then, WHEN READY, try the PGA Tour. Tiger was brought along the right way, and look at the results. When he was an amateur, he did play in the Nissan and other PGA tournaments on sponsor's exemptions and shot in the mid to high 70's, as I recall. He was not yet ready, and he and his Dad knew that. They did it FOR THE EXPERIENCE.

Now, Michelle is passing up on the Women's Briitsh Open to play in Reno against the men. Just another poor decision made inside Fortress Wie, and Annika said that she is disappointed and not happy that Michelle is doing that. The Women's British Open is a MAJOR, and the last one for the year.

Because of the bad decisions made in Fortress Wie, Michelle will probably have to go to Q School, which she was hoping to avoid. Her Dad has admitted that they have "run out of options" except to go to Q School. Imagine the embarrassment if she fails to earn her card!!

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

The bottom line is Michelle has a lot of growing up to do. She still has the potential and she's still young. I wouldn't count her out yet.

There is no doubt she would have won her first LPGA event if she didnt get DQed for the stupidest reason ever.

Brandon Sweet
Handicap: 11.6
I play on the Hop Brook Server

Inventory:Driver- Burner 9.5 degree3 Wood- BurnerHybrid 3 Iron- R7 Rescue DrawIrons (4-PW)- RAC MBWedges- Vokey Design 56 and 60 degreePutter- Teardrop Roll-Face

• Administrator
I have posted that I like Michelle, and know that she has talent, which has been shown in the last month or so. HOWEVER-----------------I believe that she and her parents have gone down the WRONG PATH. They made these mistakes:

She's 18. Talk to me in ten years.

To this day, she has not joined the LPGA Tour, I believe.

She's not eligible at this point.

She cannot compete with the men, period.

You're assuming she's trying to "compete."

Neither one was a professional golfer, and to the best of my knowledge, no one in her immediate family has been.

And Tiger's dad, he was a pro golfer?

And to your last point, I think Tiger might have succeeded regardless of the path he took. Others have taken a similar path and done both well and poorly. Look at all the "next Jack Nicklaus"es that have ended up not winning more than once or twice on Tour. To each their own. She's 18. Again, get back to me when she's 28.
Now, Michelle is passing up on the Women's Briitsh Open to play in Reno against the men.

She's not exempt into the Women's British. So... she should twiddle her thumbs for a week?

I'm not super positive on Michelle Wie, nor am I super negative. But cut the girl some slack. She's 18, she has OBVIOUS talent for the game, and the next 10 years will tell the story of Michelle Wie. I'm fully on "sit back and wait" mode. If she wins the Canadian Open or places highly enough to earn her LPGA Tour card after playing in the Reno-Tahoe, are you going to eat your words? Unlikely, and I wouldn't ask you to, but why not just sit back and watch?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think the major thing that went wrong is that she was injured last year and tried to play through the injury instead of properly rehabilitating. That lead to a dismal 2007 season. If she would have won an event or two last year and made a cut or two on the PGA tour last year she would have much more support this year.

Although her goals and expectations may or may not be unrealisitic, they are what they are. Actually most people who really do accomplish something in life have goals that are not readily accepted by the general public. They think outside of peoples expectations.

I think one thing that should be commended is the composure that she keeps on and off the course. This teenage girl has taken lots of criticism on and off the course, but I cannot recall one time that she has blamed anyone but herself. She could have numerous times criticized other players, the LPGA, rules etc. She has always been gracious in her disappiontments and defeat. She has never blammed her handlers, parent, LPGA, PGA, sponsors, rules comittee, conditions etc. She has always taken full responsibilty for her actions. I really cannot think of many other teenagers or even adults who show the composure and graciousness she does.

On top of that she values her education. At this point in her life she really does not need to go to college. She has made her millions and is financially set for life. It would be much easier for her career to concentrate on golf, but she decided to go to college. As far as I can see, the only reason she could be attending college is for the education. She cannot compete on the golf team.

In this day and age I usually hear of people skipping college or attending college to compete at the collegiate level. In this case we have a pro attending college for education.

So although her goals and decisions seem to be unpopular, I think there is a lot that should be commended about Fortress Wie. She puts herself out there on and off the course and handles herself with great dignity.

I just wonder how much longer she can deal with this kind of pressure. She does seem to have her head on straight though, so I think she will be okay.
In my bag:

Driver: R7 SuperQuad
Woods: RPM LP 3W & 5W
Irons: MX-25 4-SWPutter: Detour

first off i wish people would stop blaming her parents. this is all on her. plus she lived in hawaii. costs a lot of money to travel from hawaii to here and play the major amateur tournies. if she lived in the continental us then maybe she could have remained a amateur till she was ready to play on the lpga tour. her goal should be to win as many majors on the lpga tour. all this ryder cup and masters talk is nonsense. that is her speaking not her parents. nike and the media deserve some of the blame for overhyping her and feeding that massive ego of hers. she can go 2 two ways. she could the female ty tryon or jenny capriati who everyone said was a bust and came back to win three majors and a gold medal in the olympics.

Instead, they erected a Fortress Wie and made their own decisions.

Given that her goals are to compete regularly on the PGA tour and eventaully play in the Masters, are the decisions really that bad?

In my bag:

Driver: R7 SuperQuad
Woods: RPM LP 3W & 5W
Irons: MX-25 4-SWPutter: Detour

ditto, just what i was going to write, we must have some kind of vulcan mind-veld going on

They will beat their swords into golf clubs and their spears into putters. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore. Old Tom Morris 2:4

Wie is just about making $$ and sensationalism at it's finest. I no longer see her/it as a professional golfer but a professional golf business. She attracts viewers and sponsors. They get their name out there and she gets $$..that simple. I no longer care if when she wins/loses anything. I see doing what she does is to make a buck (and lots of it..of course)..and so should you. She is no longer a mystery..the novelty has worn off..good bye..and hopefully good riddance.

Jesus!, I have just been reading another site and read that the womens British Open is on this week, Michelle Wie has decided to play in a low level PGA event than the womens British Open, stating that she would have more fun in the PGA event, disgusting imo, what on earth is that girl thinking!

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

I'm actually with iacas on this (not many times I do agree with him )

but people need to lighten up on the girl, she is doing nothing differently then anyone on here wouldn't do if given the chance/chances she has been given.

nothing beats a quitter but a try right? so what, she's playing in a Men's event (not the 1st time either) oh well, don't blame her, blame the powers that be...just like other athletes who get the huge contracts, why hate on them, it's not their faults, it's the owners who are willing to pay them the huge deals....so it is with Wie imho

• Administrator
Jesus!, I have just been reading another site and read that the womens British Open is on this week, Michelle Wie has decided to play in a low level PGA event than the womens British Open, stating that she would have more fun in the PGA event, disgusting imo, what on earth is that girl thinking!

Where ya been?

She is not eligible for the Women's British Open. That's been stated in this very thread . Oy.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I have posted that I like Michelle, and know that she has talent, which has been shown in the last month or so. HOWEVER-----------------

I could not agree more... It is sad to watch

Where ya been?

Could Wie not have qualified for the British... like the others that were not eligible? If nothing else it would be good "practice".

X-460 9.5* tour Driver/Fujikura stiff
X-15* tour 3 wood/Fujikura stiff
3DX 18.5* Hybrid/Aldila stiff
681 3-PW/Project X 6.0 (now in bag)
X-16 Pro Series Irons/Dynamic Gold S300 54* and 58* wedges Anser Sn putter

• Administrator
Could Wie not have qualified for the British... like the others that were not eligible? If nothing else it would be good "practice".

She could have, but "Very few Americans made the attempt. Only about a half-dozen were entered in the final qualifier."

http://www.waggleroom.com/2008/7/28/...ish-open-final And I think it would be the opposite of "good practice" since the British Open conditions are quite likely to be anything but "Canadian Open-like" conditions.

I wish Michelle the best, but she and the Team Wie have made more mistakes in two years than most players on the LPGA Tour make in their entire careers. She would have shot higher than 88 last year until her agent ran out and told her the consequences of that. So, she withdrew, and did not post a score.

If she and her parents have learned their lessons, then maybe she can fulfill the great potential she has. If they have not, Michelle will become a footnote in the era that saw the transition from the Annika period to the Lorena period. As to Michelle and the Women's British Open, I do not know all the details, but here is the quotation from Annika in today's "USA Today": Michelle Wie will be in the field this week at a PGA Tour event and not in the Women's British Open, and Annika Sorenstam wonders why. Wie PULLED OUT and instead has a sponsor's exemption for the Legends Reno-Tahoe Open at Reno. It is her eighth PGA Tour event. "I really don't know why Michelle continues to do this,"Annika said Tuesday. "We have a Major this week and, if you can't qualify for a Major, I don't see any reason why you play with the men."

• Administrator
I wish Michelle the best, but she and the Team Wie have made more mistakes in two years than most players on the LPGA Tour make in their entire careers.

How many LPGA Tour events have you won? Why do you feel you're entitled to decide that she's made mistakes? Have you even ever met Michelle Wie?

I think you're in no position to say whether she's made mistakes or not (nor am I). If in 15 years she ends up in the LPGA Hall of Fame with more career majors than Lorena Ochoa, comments like yours above are going to sound awfully bad in hindsight.
She would have shot higher than 88 last year until her agent ran out and told her the consequences of that. So, she withdrew, and did not post a score.

Yawn. No kidding. We know this already. You're not enlightening me or, I'd bet, anyone else here. She was injured last year. Can we get over it? The only "mistakes" Wie made last year were playing when she shouldn't have. It's a mistake a LOT of players have made.

Withdrawing was not a mistake. It made sense. You'd have to be a moron to post an 88+ knowing the Rule 88.
As to Michelle and the Women's British Open, I do not know all the details

That's a clue to stop talking for most people. I know what Annika said (a few days ago).

I'm done with the Wie threads for now , so reply to me all you want, but I'm done. There's no point. I don't know what she's looking to get out of this week, I wish her well at the Canadian Open, and I hope she turns into the player she's obviously capable of becoming.

Wie is just about making $$ and sensationalism at it's finest. I no longer see her/it as a professional golfer but a professional golf business. She attracts viewers and sponsors. They get their name out there and she gets $$..that simple. I no longer care if when she wins/loses anything. I see doing what she does is to make a buck (and lots of it..of course)..and so should you. She is no longer a mystery..the novelty has worn off..good bye..and hopefully good riddance.

You are right--it is about money. BUT---if she fails to make the LPGA Tour, goes to Q School and fails to earn her card, the sponsors' exemptions and endorsement contracts will dry up very quickly. People want to see someone who can play, not someone who has the potential, but fails to come through. The road to stardom is littered with players who had potential but never fulfilled it.

How many LPGA Tour events have you won? Why do you feel you're entitled to decide that she's made mistakes? Have you even ever met Michelle Wie?

Based on your statement, no one is entitled to state an opinion unless you have won an LPGA event or PGA event. If that is a rule for posting here you might as well shut the board down because I doubt if you have many tour players participating on the board.

Sub 70 849 9* driver

:callaway:  Rogue 3 & 5 woods, Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids

:tmade: SIM 2 6-gap irons

:cobra:  King snakebite grove wedges 52 & 58*

:ping: Heppler ZB3 putter

Some of you guys are really touchy over Wie. What's up with that?

When she first showed up on the radar several years ago I thought, "wow, she could be really great for the LPGA" (I like the ladies tour). Granted, she is still young and still could be good for their tour. But it doesn't take a rocket scientist or even self-proclaimed golf expert to see that her logical progression toward being a part of professional golf is not going the way that most would have thought and I would hazard a guess not how she or her family would have liked. I have yet to read or hear any good reason why playing in a PGA tour event is good for her, the tournament or golf in general, other than it simply helps her by playing the game just one (or rather two) more days. If she's not getting appearance money then why? Since there's so many who disagree with how she's being handled can they really be that far off base? I think that's what bothers me most about the whole situation is that I'm a believer in seeing potential fulfilled and when it's not it seems like such a waste. But I guess that's just me. A pet peeve of mine.

Note: This thread is 5757 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!