IGNORED

Hips/Lower Body

Note: This thread is 5754 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I just can't seem to get the rotations down. My swing is really coming along (I think), but I can feel that I start my downswing with my hands, which I've been told is incorrect.

I started trying to get my swing started with my hips, knees and what not, but it just doesn't seem to work out for me.

Is there a certain order i'm suppose to be "uncoiling" things in? My backswing feels nice, and I believe I stay on plane, but at the start of the downswing through follow through is where I'm having problems, Any tips?

Thanks.

It's tough to tell without seeing you swing. However the order of uncoiling as you may say starts with the hips, knee, shoulder, then the arms releasing. Don't get discouraged when you can't get this to work out. Keep practicing until you get the hang of it (and your body "remembers" it).

Hope this helps.

What's in the bag:
Driver: r7 SuperQuad 10.5° ~ UST Proforce V2 65g Regular
Wood: 906F4 18.5° ~ Aldila VS Proto 80g Stiff
Irons: MP-60 3-PW ~ True Temper Tour Concept S3
Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 252.08, SM56.10 & SM60.08Putter: Marxman Mallet 33"

The urge to use the hands/arms in the downswing is so strong that it takes me up to 10 practice swings before a shot to overcome it. Until I can, I am stuck playing solo. Four years and counting.

The urge to use the hands/arms in the downswing is so strong that it takes me up to 10 practice swings before a shot to overcome it.

But if I turn my hips first, the right hip and shoulder can be thrust toward the target line causing an over the top move.

So I have to first shift my weight to the left leg by pushing off of the right foot.

But that can cause a hip slide.

So I have to rotate my left knee back first, then shift weight, then turn my hips.

Easy game.

So I have to first shift my weight to the left leg by pushing off of the right foot.

the hip slide (asa opposed to turning on the spine) is taught as one way to hit the ball by the game's greatest ball strikes (moe norman and mike austin) and healthier for the spine and joints

They will beat their swords into golf clubs and their spears into putters. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore. Old Tom Morris 2:4

It is indeed a hard thing. Just simply bumping the hips forward does not quite work for me. The key is establishing the left leg as the pivot point for the forward swing. That is what weight shift is all about. You pivot around the right leg going back then pivot around the left leg going forward. Easier said than done for me at least. You have to do a small lateral move forward with the hips, feel your left foot grip the ground, and then start the turn. All this before you let loose with the arms. Jeff Ritter has some good thoughts about it on this video:

Sorry not able to post the video for some reason. It is called Jeff Ritter - Golf Swing Demo-Transition and is on YouTube.

Here is another video that talks about transition and points out some key errors in thinking that we often have about it:

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/tr...cy-/2178369885

My Clubs
Nicklaus Progressive XC Irons: 3H,4H, 5-GW
Ray Cook SW & Gyro 1 Putter
Taylor Made Burner Driver 10.5
Taylor Made V-Steel 3 & 5 MetalsMy Home Course: Indian RiverMy Blog: Rant-o-Rama-Ding-Dong

Ground up on the Downswing:

Try moving your left knee towards the target, but keep your right knee pretty still (think of squatting). All weight should be on insides of feet (mostly on left side). DON'T push off right side, this could lead to spinning the hips to fast (right hip will lunge forward = not good).

At this exact static position, hips should be square to target and right elbow should be tucked into right hip, and i believe shoulders should be slightly closed. Practice this position, and see how you can dynamically acheive it, and you should be on your way to impact pretty easily.

Best of luck to ya!!

Note: I'm am not a swing doctor, nor do I play one on TV, but these thoughts have helped me get to the next level in my own game.

Sumo 5000 10.5 Aldila NV 65-X Driver
PC-III 4-SW irons
Custom Putter
Pro-V1 Balls

Never mind, I got it now. Thanks. Here is that transition video folks:

My Clubs
Taylor Made V-Steel 3 & 5 MetalsMy Home Course: Indian RiverMy Blog: Rant-o-Rama-Ding-Dong

The Jeff Ritter Video for you:

My Clubs

This one may help too:

My Clubs

Note: This thread is 5754 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!