IGNORED

"PLUS" Handicap Index

TommyD69
Note: This thread is 5735 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
If I've been playing courses where the slope rating is significantly higher, my handicap would only increase as the slope decreases. Example, I'm a 9.8 on the courses I have been playing. However, at my brother's course, using the course handicap calculator, I'm a 12.

You're not a + handicap golfer. Though it's confusing, a + handicap is someone who has to give shots back to the course - someone better than scratch.

If you're a 9.8, you get 10 strokes on a course with a slope of 120 and 12 strokes on a course with a slope of 135. If you were a +3.0 index, you'd give three strokes to the course on the 120 rated course and 4 strokes to the 135-rated course. That's where it seemingly "flips," and the PDF I linked to earlier explains why - tougher courses allow better players to "separate" themselves more easily. P.S. Don't confuse your handicap index with your course handicap, either. Your course handicap is always in whole strokes. Your handicap index is always to one decimal place (even if it is .0).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You're not a + handicap golfer. Though it's confusing, a + handicap is someone who has to give shots back to the course - someone better than scratch.

Yes, I realize I'm not a + handicap. I thought a + handicap would actually get better as the slope decreases. Based upon your statement on giving back shots, 3 strokes on the 120 and 4 on the 135, that's not the case.

Thanks for clarifying.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

Note: This thread is 5735 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!