IGNORED

How Can We Go Low Under These Circumstances?

rubbery
Note: This thread is 5749 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm playing in an outing tomorrow morning, a 4 man scramble with 3 people who don't play golf. They have played a few times so they can elevate the ball and hit it well rarely, but all-in-all, they're unreliable. I know we'll shoot well over par, I really couldn't care less though. I'm playing with my brothers and good friend so I'm just looking forward to the obscene amounts of fun we'll have, but I would like to enjoy it to its fullest as far as golf is concerned so my question is this:

What is the best strategy to shoot low with a foursome such as this?

Driver: Nike VRS Covert 

3 Wood: Taylormade Rocketballz

Hybrid: Nike Sumo 18*

Irons: Titleist AP1 4-PW

Wedges: Cleveland CG12 60* 56* & 52* 

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 1.5

I'm playing in an outing tomorrow morning, a 4 man scramble with 3 people who don't play golf. They have played a few times so they can elevate the ball and hit it well rarely, but all-in-all, they're unreliable. I know we'll shoot well over par, I really couldn't care less though. I'm playing with my brothers and good friend so I'm just looking forward to the obscene amounts of fun we'll have, but I would like to enjoy it to its fullest as far as golf is concerned so my question is this:

The best way? Cheat

Next best way - lots and lots of mulligans Finally, if you are already playing best ball, maybe shoot from the ladies tees?

• Administrator
I know we'll shoot well over par, I really couldn't care less though.

You don't.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Having played LOTS of scrambles with LOTS of 30+ handicaps, rule #1 is to not take it seriously at all. When in doubt, refer back to rule #1.

That said, if there is a minimum drive per player rule, be very smart about your use of these. You may be 250 down the middle, but if there is a usable drive at 150, get it out of the way.

If you drink, make sure the beer is flowing.

Try to arrange the order of play so that you minimize the pressure on the worst players. Have a short hitter who might be straight hit first and just get something "usable" out there. Your best player (sounds like you) should hit last.

Did I mention the beer thing?

Have fun!

Driver: FT-5 9* Neutral
3 & 5 Wood: SuperSteel
Irons: ISI Beryllium Copper
Sand Wedge: Ben Hogan piece of
Putter: White Hot

Luck or cheat. Totally up to you.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

Having played LOTS of scrambles with LOTS of 30+ handicaps, rule #1 is to not take it seriously at all. When in doubt, refer back to rule #1.

Great advice.

909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

I agree with the others...have fun!! Playing in scrambles I've found that even with good players and shooting maybe 6 or 7 under, we still don't come close to winning, especially when the tourney is for a charity and they sell all the extras such as ladies tees, tosses, kicks, mulligans, string, etc. People usually turn in outrageous scores such as 30 under, so the best bet is to relax, have fun, drink a few, and hopefully win something cool in the raffle or near pin/long drive.....

I appreciate the (serious) responses. Unfortunately, as a 17 year old, I probably won't be having too much beer, but rest assured, I will enjoy myself. Perhaps asking how to go low wasn't the proper phrasing rather than asking how to score as well as possible all things considered. Right now I'm thinking of it as a normal round (a lot less serious though) except with three chances to see the line of my putt.

My only goal is to win the long drive.

Driver: Nike VRS Covert 

3 Wood: Taylormade Rocketballz

Hybrid: Nike Sumo 18*

Irons: Titleist AP1 4-PW

Wedges: Cleveland CG12 60* 56* & 52* 

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 1.5

Note: This thread is 5749 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!