IGNORED

What would you do?

yeis20
Note: This thread is 5743 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Been bombing my driver to the point where most of my approaches after hitting it are under 100yds on par 4's.

So today, I decided to play a few holes that I would normally hit the driver long with a usual draw, and the draw can hurt on these holes. I tried changing my swing to produce a fade / slice out of a tree line shoot and I over did it and it cost me a double bogey on the hole. Even on the 500yd par 5, I kind of hooked it and it rolled into tall grass and we could not find the ball, took the drop in a fluffy wet rough area, hit a 3w dead nuts front of the green from about 260.

So for a goof, I pulled out my 5w off the tee on a 480 yd par 5 where hitting the driver with a draw is a challenging shot, had about 230 into the green and hitting the 5w again put me middle right of the green.
I am normal hitting my 25* hybrid into the hole from around 200 but further right of my tee off location from today ( the fairway fades off to the left after 250 yds)

Would you bag the driver for a few rounds?

There are 4 par 5 on the course I play and even with no driver, I have no distance issues reaching them in 2.

Hell, I hit 6 iron into the 475 yd par 5 2 weeks ago playing into a slight head on wind. Even playing from the blues it wont be an issue.

Taylormade TP 2010 9.5 Fubuki stiff
07 Burner 5W stiff

Adams F11 Ti 3W Adilia NVS Stiff
Bobby Jones 21* & 25* Hybrid
AP1 4-gw
CG14  60*::X forged Vintage 56* Ping b60 putter Balls: Bridgestone B330, ProV, Goals: Shot par over 18 holes, Best shot: Par 5 18th hole, Alling Memorial New haven CT; holed my 2nd shot for an Albatross! (June 20th, 2008)

I would learn to hit the driver with a different stroke. Try a punch shot or a slight fade.

have you tried hitting a ball without turning over the club face and simply keep the club face square throughout the entire shot.

Fade
If you want to play the fade with the above swing you need to slight open the club face

draw
keep the club face slightly open for the entire swing.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

I hit with a draw off the tee most times, but really have to use a pre-shot routine to get my set-up and release right.
I find a good way to hit a fade all the time is to weaken your grip but increase grip pressure. Gripping the club stronger helps stop your hands naturally turning over through impact and creates a fade.

I'm kind of in a similar situation, my controlled draw that I once had seems to be a borderline hook and sometimes a nasty hook these days. It can be playable on certain holes but a killer on others.

I've been bagging my driver more than ever and it has helped. It's a smart move anyways, especially on shorter par 4's that are well under 400 yards. Sounds like you have decent distance, so you could probably hit 3w/5w all day long and be fine.

Sure, certain holes play into my draw/hook so I'll take out driver and bomb away. But until I can get that driver situation straightened out (literally) I'll just use other clubs. Scores haven't suffered either, they have actually gotten a little better.

Good luck.

Note: This thread is 5743 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!