IGNORED

New Driver, Putter & Bag

Ogie
Note: This thread is 5729 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

New to the game and have a full set of clubs gifted to me by my father:

X-14 Callaway Irons
VFT Callaway 3 & 5 wood

Now I snapped ths shaft of the big bertha ERC so bought a new driver last night. I get the feeling I made the wrong choice. I bought a Taylormade R5 dual driver with a 9.5 degree and stiff shaft. Paid $100 new at Sports Authority. Feel like I should've bought a used club to see what I like first.

1st off, I have no idea what the differences in the degrees are.

Any advice on a driver for someone new to the game. Tere are too many to choose from. I don't want to spend more than $150 on a driver as even the most grandest driver in the world would still make no difference in my game.

2nd, the putter in the set given to me is older than me I think. I found a Ping Karsten B60 putter for $80 on craigslist yesterday and it caught my eye.

Lastly - The bag that I got with the set seems pretty heavy. I think it's a Callaway Hawkeye. Any advice for a lighter weight bag?

I play the R5 TP driver with 450cc and its a great driver! you can't blame the equipment anymore, any lightweight 3.5 lb bag are good, I happen to play the Mizuno aerolite bag.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

New to the game and have a full set of clubs gifted to me by my father:

The higher degree on teh driver the higher trojectory you will get, the lower the degree the lower trojectory. So if you find you hit your drives really high you should consider getting a lower degree driver like the 9.5 u just bought, and opposite for if you shoot a high ball. Being new to the game putter isn't to big of a deal, but if the putter is older then you then it definately wouldn't hurt to get a new one, this is probably the only club i would consider buying at a high price for a beginner as it does help and minimizes bounce etc. on the greens greatly. It helped me a ton. For a bag just anything light, with a decent amount of dividers so your clubs don't cling and clank. Having a big pocket or two as well helps greatly! If you find a bag just make sure you know you would be able to organize your stuff easily, otherwise don't bother with it.

In my Black'n'Red :

Driver: R7 TP 460cc 10.5* Reax 65 stiff shaft
3 Wood: Tour Impact 15*
Irons: Tour Impact 3-PWWedges: Vokey Oil Can Spin Milled 54.10, Golfco Baron 58* SWPutter: Tracy II 35"Balls: Prov 1Age:16

TM made a decent driver in the R5. Being a beginner, it is probably more a lack of consistency in your swing than the equipment. X-14's are very good and forgiving irons, the VFT fairway woods are also very good. I have a 5wood that i have really enjoyed for the past few years. (I took it out of the bag this year for a 2 iron hybrid, but it is due to the course that i play vs. the club). I would recommend spending the $150 on lessons which i think would serve you better in the long run.

Putter - you can find some very good ones on ebay. Odyssey 2ball is a very good putter that you should be able to find easily.

Light weight bags can be found most anywhere. Sun Mountain is a very good manufacturer and a brand i would highly recommend.

good luck

Cobra L5V - Just waiting for the ZL to have a lower price
Cobra F Speed 2006 3 wood - very underrated 3 wood
Adams Pro Idea 3H and 4H

Taylormade Burner XD 4-AW
Cleveland 48*, 52*, and 60*

Odyssey F7 2 Ball

An important thing to look at when getting a driver is the loft. Most tour players use 9.5* and lower i think. That is because their swing speeds are usually a lot higher than most people. The slower swing speed you have the more loft on a driver you need so that you can get the ball in the air higher and it will give you more distance. That is why senior and junior woods have more loft than other woods so that they can get the ball in the air with their slower swing speeds and get more distance.

More loft on the driver is helpful.

Try a bunch of different putters.....there may be no "right" putter....just the "right now".

Lightweight bags are easy to come by.....look at TGW sale items. I saw a very nice looking Callaway for $75 on there....your choice of colors. I've enjoyed the one I have. My Dad played a round with me and bought one just like it. He's really enjoyed his as well. Light....well organized....easy deploying legs......stands fully upright, too, even with 14 clubs, 3 dozen balls, two water bottles, sunscreen, 100 tees, etc, etc.

Good luck.

The best money to be spent, though, may be on a couple of lessons.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

More loft on the driver is helpful.

I would suggest trying out the Sun Mountain Superlight 3.5, it comes in a bunch of colors, it very light, and has lots of great features.

Here's what I play:

Titleist 907 D2 10.5* UST ProForce V2 76-S | Titleist 906F4 18.5* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist 585H 21* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist ZB 4-PW TTDG S300 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 54.10 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60.08 | Scotty Cameron Red X5 33" |

I also think you should spend most of your money on a putter that feels really comfortable. Putting will make or break your score. Remember to have FUN. That is what it's all about.

In My Limited Edition "Sir Isaac Newton Caricature" Big Bertha Tour Bag:
Driver: Big Bertha Fusion Ft-3
Hybrid: Big Bertha Heavenwood 3h
Irons And Wedges: Big Bertha X-12 3-Sw And
60* Vokey Spin Milled Oil-Can Lob-WedgePutter: White Hot Xg Sabertooth and a Futura Phantom Balls: Hx Hot Bite...

Note: This thread is 5729 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!