IGNORED

What part of the ball do you focus on?

mdouet
Note: This thread is 5712 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What I do off the tee is put either the name of the ball or number at the back, just a little on the inside. This is a reminder to me that I want to hit the back of the ball from just a little inside. I've used this for years, and it's mainly because I want to make solid contact each time. I may not hit it exactly where I want to, but I'm going to hit it solid.

I've taught my children to do this, just to try and help them to make solid contact on each shot. The one danger in this is that some people get to thinking of just hitting at the ball. What I try to do and teach others to do is to finish the swing. It's amazing how many people will have a nice practice swing, but once they get over the ball, their swing changes. And most of the time it's because they are hitting at the ball instead of just making their swing. What I tell my kids is that the ball just gets in the way. It's hard for them at first to truly get this. I tell them to think of a high finish in balance.
play4him

Driver: Titleist 905R
3-Wood: Titleist 904F
Hybrid: Titleist 585 19 DegreeIrons: TitleistWedges (PW,Gap,SW,Lob): TitleistPutter: Bettinardi C04

I was at the range the other day with my brother. He is the most annoying person... thats another story though... I was at the range and I told my brother that i could hit further than he could with my eyes closed. Granted, he cannot hit that far. I was expecting to top it or even miss the ball. Like another man said earlier in the thread you focus on your swing and not the ball, and thats what I did. I hit it further than I hit my drives with my eyes open... any ways most of the time i look through the ball and not even think its even there..

So if you guys don't look at the ball, where are you looking when you swing?

I see the ball...I don't focus on any one part of it. If I stared at it...most likely it would be at the writing on the top that I have pre-aligned with my target.

Tools of my game:
Burner 09' Driver 10.5 Reg flex
5-pw G10's/ plus Taylormade R7 4 iron
Burner 08' 4 Hybrid
A70S 3 Hybrid Burner 09' 3 wood "Zing" SW 56 degree Fastback Laser range finder / plus Skycaddie SG5...also a great ball retriever!!

There is a great book called "Golf in the Kingdom" by Michael Murphy. Highly, highly recommended. In it he describes imagining the ball and the sweet spot as already connected. When you aim the club at the ball, aim the sweet spot at the back of the ball. I think it is really easy to get distracted by the overall shape of the head of the club and not focus on exactly what you want hitting the ball (the sweet spot). I have been testing this out, and so far the results are good. I normally focus on the back of the ball, and the line of the clubhead, but I think focusing on the sweet spot makes for better strikes (more precise).
Favorite Practice Course:
Z Boaz Municipal, Fort Worth <<< Ben Hogan grew up playing here!
--------------------------------------------------

In the bag: 983E 9.5*, Fuji Speeder S RPM LP, 4W, Neutral Bias STAFF Ci6 irons, S (going up for sale soon) Tom Watson PVD 08 Wedges (G.S,L)... and a 4...

I never really gave alot of thought focusing on a specific part of the ball on full swings other than when I'm pitching and putting backspin on the ball, then I focus on the back of the ball, but I think it's really more of a focus on coming in steep and pinching.

As for the rest, once i'm set up and aligned, my ball is in it's proper position for the club, I see the ball, but i dont focus on it. It's like I'm looking at the ball, but my mind is going thru the swing triggers- low takeaway, feel the thigh tighten, hips, shoulders, downswing. I don't think about the actual swing parts, just my body registers the checkpoints.

in my EDGE bag:

10.5* XLS HiBore Driver, Fuji stiff VP70
15* XLS HiBore 3 Wood Gold stiff
22*, 25* XLS HiBore 3H, 4H, Gold stiff MP-57 5-PW, DG S300 MP-R 52 gap, MP-R 56 sandwedge SM Vokey 60 Lob Newport 2 Detour Pro-V1X, NXT Tour, Callaway Tour iXIgolf NEO GPS

Note: This thread is 5712 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!