IGNORED

I Am Not A Club Ho

TinCupTampa
Note: This thread is 4014 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Honestly, most people who have just started, and that state they are <20, simply aren't playing by the rules. They just don't know any better.

So you are saying that when I broke 90 consistently, and immediately pulling out a rule book when I need to know how to asses penalty strokes when I didn't know the rule that I wasn't a sub-20 handicap when I was first starting to play? Okay, then could you explain this to me, because I am not seeing how your logic works.

Here's what I play:

Titleist 907 D2 10.5* UST ProForce V2 76-S | Titleist 906F4 18.5* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist 585H 21* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist ZB 4-PW TTDG S300 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 54.10 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60.08 | Scotty Cameron Red X5 33" |

But this was way too tempting to pass up. My MP57's are only 2 weeks old and I love them... but ... I just aquired a set of MP32's for only $265 in mint condition.

You have a problem, and I have the cure - send me those MP 32's immediately, it is your only hope!!! Seriously, it is a slippery slope, fun to try out new clubs all the time, but it may be better to stick to one set.

In the Titleist bag on the ClicGear 2.0:

PILOT: Titleist 910 D2 Axivore Tour Red

3 WOOD: Callaway 3-Deep 13*

Hybrid: TaylorMade RBZ 22*

IRONS 3-PW: Mizuno MP-32

WEDGES: Vokey TVD 54* SM5 58*K

PUTTER: Rife 2-Bar Blade

BALL: Penta 5

So you are saying that when I broke 90 consistently, and immediately pulling out a rule book when I need to know how to asses penalty strokes when I didn't know the rule that I wasn't a sub-20 handicap when I was first starting to play? Okay, then could you explain this to me, because I am not seeing how your logic works.

907-

How long did it take you to start shooting below 100 legitimately (i.e., you knew the rules, and played by all of them?) (<--- actual question, not sarcasm.) I think HX is just saying that there are a lot of people out there with vanity handicaps. That, taking up the game and breaking 100 within 6 months is the exception, not the rule. I would tend to agree. I'm certainly not saying some people don't pick up the game and get good quick. Because some do. Just not as many people as claim (or think) they do. (Especially on the internet where people can't verify.) But I also think that like everything else in life, if you start when you are younger, the learning curve is faster. So youngsters seem to get better quicker. For whatever reason, the mind and body seem to pick things up quickly. (of course, that could be my old arse making excuses for why I can't seem to learn things quickly anymore.)

907-

It took me like 2-3 weeks, but that was being at the golf course everyday just about.

Here's what I play:

Titleist 907 D2 10.5* UST ProForce V2 76-S | Titleist 906F4 18.5* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist 585H 21* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist ZB 4-PW TTDG S300 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 54.10 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60.08 | Scotty Cameron Red X5 33" |

907-

That's very much what I was talking about. Also, allow me to elaborate on what I was saying regarding the rules and the beginner. I know, as well as many of you guys out there, that the majority of beginner scores are not what they would be under the rules of the USGA. Picking up putts, not following proper out of bounds/hazard procedures, etc. I'm not saying this to be a hard-ass, and I'm not saying it's intentional. Pure beginners just don't know alot of the rules throughout their round of golf. There are alot of little things that can help keep a score lower than it should too (I'm not talking mulligans)....picking up a ball when the score on a hole is high, improving your lie etc. These things aren't bad, neccessarily, if they help keep up the pace of play (which is very important for a beginner). However, the score ends up not being a direct reflection of what a score actually would be. This isn't a knock- I think beginners should do some of these things, some of the time. It's just a reality. I also think many beginners don't put in EVERY score they shoot (which is where the vanity handicap comes in). Clubs I've played at all over the country have had so many golfers that fall into this group. It's all about vanity, and it's a tangible way to see improvement...even if it's not legit. When you add up these things... selective entering scoring, and not playing 100% by the rules, there are many handicaps that just aren't legit. Which is fine, I suppose.... if you have a vanity handicap, I'd love to a nassau with you

I don't want this stuff to be taken the wrong way. I feel like some of the stuff I said in a previous post was taken as an attack. It's not. Just like with what I said about the blades. If you learned on a blade, kudos. You can get even MORE out of the benefits of a player's cavity back. A 20-hdc. should not be playing a blade, it's that simple. Believe me, I understand what is sexy about playing a blade. However, the vast majority of golfers (and I'm talking 90% here) would benefit more from a cavity back than a blade. Golf is a game of mis-hits, especially amateur golf. And to the guy who attacked me, saying I'm essentially just mad that I suck, and that I don't want anyone to be better than me.... Yes, you guessed right. My scratch handicap does suck. The course record I had also sucked. As do my collegiate victories. I'm not trying to throw this in your face, just don't come on here and insult me when you have no idea about my abilities. I was just offering my opinion on the topic- which is what these forums are for. It has nothing to do with my playing ability, or my personal agenda. Your comments were unwarranted. Hopefully, this clears up where I stand on these issues. I didn't expect this board to get so defensive.

"Keep it in the short grass."

Driver: Titleist 905R 9.5 deg., w/ ProForce V2 shaft
3W: Callaway X-Hot 15 deg., Grafalloy Blue stiff
Hybrid/Util: Callaway Heavenwood 2H, 17 deg., Grafalloy Blue stiff Hybrid/Util: Hogan 3H 21 deg., TT Dyn.Gld stiffIrons: Callaway X-18 Pro Series, 3-PW, TT Dyn. Gld...

That's very much what I was talking about. Also, allow me to elaborate on what I was saying regarding the rules and the beginner. I know, as well as many of you guys out there, that the majority of beginner scores are not what they would be under the rules of the USGA. Picking up putts, not following proper out of bounds/hazard procedures, etc. I'm not saying this to be a hard-ass, and I'm not saying it's intentional. Pure beginners just don't know alot of the rules throughout their round of golf. There are alot of little things that can help keep a score lower than it should too (I'm not talking mulligans)....picking up a ball when the score on a hole is high, improving your lie etc. These things aren't bad, neccessarily, if they help keep up the pace of play (which is very important for a beginner). However, the score ends up not being a direct reflection of what a score actually would be. This isn't a knock- I think beginners should do some of these things, some of the time. It's just a reality. I also think many beginners don't put in EVERY score they shoot (which is where the vanity handicap comes in). Clubs I've played at all over the country have had so many golfers that fall into this group. It's all about vanity, and it's a tangible way to see improvement...even if it's not legit. When you add up these things... selective entering scoring, and not playing 100% by the rules, there are many handicaps that just aren't legit. Which is fine, I suppose.... if you have a vanity handicap, I'd love to a nassau with you

So with your logic, an amateur would be better off never hitting a blade? Because most are never going to "get where you are handicap wise" and they would hit far too many mishits.

Now I agree with you with some of your delivery here about scoring, but then why should we believe your handicap that you point out or your "collegiate wins"? Are you rolling the ball? Im not disputing your handicap at all of course, but just pointing out the obvious. Having a plus handicap is quite glamourous in the world of golf, so I am not sure that "breaking a few rules" is just dedicated to the newer player or high handicapper.

HX-

Haha, fair enough bud. I hope it lightens up, I plan on using this site to helo me get through the winter!

Hybrid/Util: Callaway Heavenwood 2H, 17 deg., Grafalloy Blue stiff Hybrid/Util: Hogan 3H 21 deg., TT Dyn.Gld stiffIrons: Callaway X-18 Pro Series, 3-PW, TT Dyn. Gld...

So with your logic, an amateur would be better off never hitting a blade? Because most are never going to "get where you are handicap wise" and they would hit far too many mishits.

I think the majority of amateurs would be better off playing with cavity backs. Like I said, I do believe blades have their purpose. I've played them, used forged wedges to great success, and may go back to them as my game improves. As you stated, I'm a "plus hdcp", and even so, I'll be the first to admit that I benefit daily from the construction of a cavity back club. I think the vanity playing a blade may even be similar that of having a vanity handicap (not always, obv., just a comparison for discussion's sake).

You don't have to believe my credentials. My guess is that there are a few guys on here that are full of it. I will say, as a guy who plays in plenty of tournaments, qualifying rounds etc....that the opportunity to fudge scores and post vanity numbers just isn't there. I am also not a fan of losing money to the sandbagger, lol, so a hdcp too low can be costly If it were up to me, I'd love to get my game back to the +2.5 I was on college. In due time, I suppose... Still trying to find a way to amp up the intensity like it was a few years ago. I think the lower hdcp golfers have generally played more golf over time, and in higher stakes tourneys, so they have a better handle on the intricacies of the rules, etc. You are right though... I've been witness to cheating attempts at very high level events. I only hope those are the vast minority. I guess it all comes back to the fact that golf is a gentleman's game, and honor is valued quite highly. Like I said, I don't think those things done by the lower hdcp golfers to speed up play, improve their shots etc., are a bad thing....It just "is what it is".

Gentlemen, I am sorry to have to do this ...

To whomever gave me negative feedback saying, "That my comments in this thread wouldn't help the average golfer" please PM me and elaborate on your thought process ...

P.S. BTW - please MAN-UP and sign your name when you give negative feedback ...
In my Bag:

Driver: Burner 10.5* Stiff shaft
3 WoodBurner 15* stiff shaft
5 WoodBurner 18* stiff ShaftHybrid3DX (18.5*)Irons: (4-LW):Putter: Rossa Indy SportBalls: Reds

How can people who just started playing be <20 handicap?

Don't worry about it. They generally play nearly every day. The way to do this is to work out a schedule (helps to be on a golf team, etc.) and to sign up for a membership. I certainly

hope people aren't paying full green fees when playing every day. Even if you are already playing every day and you aren't progressing as fast as someone else, again, don't sweat it. Practice and learning are organic things. Sometimes they can go faster for other people, but that doesn't mean your ceiling isn't as high as theirs. The sky is the limit, regardless of how you stack up to Joe Golf. The only golfer besides yourself that you should focus on is Tiger. The good news is that even if you don't have a way to play every day, you probably have access to some grass (back yard, etc.). You don't need to hit balls to get better at swinging the club. Use the tools you've been given.

Don't worry about it. They generally play nearly every day. The way to do this is to work out a schedule (helps to be on a golf team, etc.) and to sign up for a membership. I certainly

This is great advice. A good friend of mine was a VERY slow starter. As some of us were progressing much faster, he was frustrated...but stuck to the process. He's now a former club champ, where a few of his friends play...and they don't come close to him anymore. When the fast-learners hit plateaus, they got frustrated and it slowed down their progress a bit. He, however, had built quite a solid foundation by working at his game regularly, over time.

Good luck bud.

Honestly, most people who have just started, and that state they are

Even a player who has been at it a while may not know the rules. Early this season I ran across a decision that stated a local rule at our club is not legal (a free drop from a drainage ditch crossing the fairway on the drive only). Seems like every season I come across a rule or decision that I have been interpreting or applying incorrectly. In my experience so far, golf is a learning process on many different fronts.

TinCupTampa, I also have a set of MP-32s with DG-S300 shafts which I picked up for $250 (nowhere near mint though) because I simply couldn't pass them up for that price. Not using them at the moment though as I never managed to establish a mutually respectful relationship with them ... and you think you may have a problem? HA!

Mike

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

TinCupTampa, I also have a set of MP-32s with DG-S300 shafts which I picked up for $250 (nowhere near mint though) because I simply couldn't pass them up for that price. Not using them at the moment though as I never managed to establish a mutually respectful relationship with them ... and you think you may have a problem? HA!

I have always liked the 32's. I bought them so I can use them on the range and learn better ball striking. I am assuming they will give me more feedback than my 57's.

As for the people that say beginners shouldnt hit blades... my gf is high handicaper and she hits blades better than cavity backs.

13 Wedges
1 Putter

Even a player who has been at it a while may not know the rules. Early this season I ran across a decision that stated a local rule at our club is not legal (a free drop from a drainage ditch crossing the fairway on the drive only). Seems like every season I come across a rule or decision that I have been interpreting or applying incorrectly. In my experience so far, golf is a learning process on many different fronts.

You're right on man. I think what you stated is one of the beauties of golf. You really do continue to learn more, if you allow yourself, for your entire life. Rules, shotmaking, and otherwise. LOVE IT!

I think golfers sometimes take for granted how special "the process" really is.

Note: This thread is 4014 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!