IGNORED

Michelle Wie & Q-School

Q.Q.Quillume
Note: This thread is 5606 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

After the second round, a round in which Michelle Wie shot 65, currently the low round of the "tournament," and has vaulted into second place alone, three back of first and two ahead of two gals tied for third.

None

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's hope she can keep up the low scores. It's good to see her making a comeback.

I remember reading an article where they quoted Leadbetter. He said she had the most talent of almost any student he has ever taught, and he was saddened by the decisions her family and management had made for her career. He knew that she was capable of far, far more and thought it would be an absolutely shame to see her talent not come to fruition.

Give 'em hell Michelle.
Favorite Practice Course:
Z Boaz Municipal, Fort Worth <<< Ben Hogan grew up playing here!
--------------------------------------------------

In the bag: 983E 9.5*, Fuji Speeder S RPM LP, 4W, Neutral Bias STAFF Ci6 irons, S (going up for sale soon) Tom Watson PVD 08 Wedges (G.S,L)... and a 4...

Meanwhile, Christina took a nose dive with a 77 today, T-70, no big surprise there. Stacy Lewis is looking solid with a second round 71, for T-9, also not a surprise.

Nike Sumo 5000 V2 (9.5°) & SQ2 3W (15°) | TaylorMade Rescue Mid (19° & 22°) | Mizuno MX-23 4-PW | Callaway X-Tour (56-13°) & X-Tour MD (60-11°) | Bettinardi C-03

"I don't care how good your iron play is, if you can't drive it in the fairway you might as well break 'em up or use 'em...

Meanwhile, Christina took a nose dive with a 77 today, T-70, no big surprise there.

No, not a surprise. Christina Lecuyer is working on swing changes after so much viewer scrutiny during Big Break Kaanapali. Her scores are improved compared to her Duramed efforts early this year, but she still throws in the high round.

A few weeks ago I noticed this "Ask a Player" entry on the Duramed Futures Tour website: Eric from Woodbridge, VA asks Christina Lecuyer "Hi Christina, When are you going to play more events on the Duramed FUTURES Tour and what part of your game have you been working on lately?" "Hey Eric, Thanks for the question. As of right now I don't think I will be playing anymore Duramed FUTURES Tour events this year. It is a wonderful tour, but right now finances and other tours are keeping me away. I'm trying to stay close to the desert in preparation for Q-School. After my experience on the Big Break I realized I needed some work on my swing to try and get it more compact and less closed at the top. I am working with my swing coach, Jack O'keefe, who is helping a great deal. I have never been an extermely great ball striker, but I'm hoping that with the hard work I'm putting in it will improve. As always I'm grinding daily on my short game, you can never put too much work into that!! Thanks again for the question and hope you have a great rest of your season." Christina *** IMO, that's a great move. I was one of many posters on various sites who suggested swing changes would help, specifically that her swing was too long and complicated. A golf instructor on a major golf site posted that he'd given 40,000+ lessons and her clubface was as closed as he'd seen. Christina is naturally competitive and athletic with an excellent putting stroke. She might improve dramatically and be more consistent with better fundamentals. In mid summer I read an article indicating she was frustrated by the viewer critiques of her swing but apparently she has changed her mind. That article was at this link, under the title,"Big Break shattered Lecuyer's game": http://www.ottawasun.com/Sports/Othe...59181-sun.html It's no longer available, unless we're willing to spring $12 Canadian. No thank you. But I can summarize Christina's quotes from memory: "Everyone says she should do this, she should do that. I lost my confidence." Christina has played the Cactus Tour in the Phoenix area the past few weeks, getting ready for Q School. Very weak fields with not many competitors and her results have been mediocre, a 6th, tie for 5th, 6th and 10th: http://www.thecactustour.com/results.html * August 11-13 Lecuyer, Christina 73-75-72 -- 220 $600 * August 18-20 Lecuyer, Christina 73-74-75 -- 222 $433 * September 2-4 Lecuyer, Christina 72-70-75—217 $800 * September 8-10 Lecuyer, Christina 76-73-79—228

Bri Vega shot 3-under today and is now tied for 6th.

Bri quietly had a much improved season on the Duramed Futures Tour. In fact, she was only one slot behind Kim Welch in scoring average, 19th (72.94) and 20th (72.96).

But unlike Kim, who really took advantage of her three best tournaments -- playoff loss, 5th place and playoff victory-- and turned a 19th in scoring average into 10th on the money list, Bri had only one high finish and her money list standing mirrored her scoring average, at 21st. Bri has shown steady improvement, from 75.79 in 2006 to 74.80 in 2007 and 72.96 this year. Bri made 16 of 17 cuts, compared to 4 of 17 in '06 and 8 of 18 in '07. There was an interesting quote from Bri on the Duramed site a few weeks ago. I'll paraphrase from memory: "Girls come on our tour and say they'll give it two years to earn the LPGA card. They never come close. I'm going to stick it out as long as it takes."

It's become very fashionable for writers to pick on her - her problems are low hanging fruit in that regard. It's also easy to forget that she's just a kid, and a sheltered/manipulated one at that. I'm hoping she'll get out from under everyone's thumb and grow at her own pace.

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

I'm hoping she'll get out from under everyone's thumb and grow at her own pace.

Me too. And not for any other reason than because when she is on, she is incredible to watch. Gorgeous full swing, amazing short game, and (when she's on) a good putter.

I still have the Friday and Saturday rounds of the State Farm Classic saved on my DVR because she was so good, especially her short game. And she seemed genuinely happy - something we don't get to see from her very often or nearly enough.

No, not a surprise. Christina Lecuyer is working on swing changes after so much viewer scrutiny during Big Break Kaanapali. Her scores are improved compared to her Duramed efforts early this year, but she still throws in the high round.

Awsi, awesome. I can always count on you for a thorough analysis. Much appreciated.

Glad to hear Christina is working on the technical aspects of her swing. She is a natural athlete and has a lot of inborn potential. Hope she achieves it.

Nike Sumo 5000 V2 (9.5°) & SQ2 3W (15°) | TaylorMade Rescue Mid (19° & 22°) | Mizuno MX-23 4-PW | Callaway X-Tour (56-13°) & X-Tour MD (60-11°) | Bettinardi C-03

"I don't care how good your iron play is, if you can't drive it in the fairway you might as well break 'em up or use 'em...

I checked the early Q School results from today and Elizabeth Stuart and Adrienne Gautreaux McDonald of Big Break Kaanapali continue to play well to put themselves in position to advance to the final stage of Q School in December.

Liz shot a 3-under-par 69 and is -1 after 3 rounds, while Adrienne turned in a second straight sub par round, a 71 to complete 3 rounds at even par.

They were eliminated on the same episode of Big Break Kaanapali, the second and third players ousted after Cirbie Sheppard went first.

Many message board posters loved to rip the caliber of play on that version of Big Break, but I thought it was underrated, once you got past Cirbie.

I hope Liz puts together another solid round. That would be unusual for her, based on her Duramed results and the shaky confidence she displayed on Big Break. Liz and Kim were my two favorites on that show, from the opening episode. Somehow I didn't notice Christina immediately.

Awsi, awesome. I can always count on you for a thorough analysis. Much appreciated.

Thanks for the compliment, worst_shot_ever. I've heard it the other way. My friends complain that I like to give every detail.

Christina has no shot to advance, a 78 today and 12 over total. She made the cut on the number and was probably deflated after yesterday's round, knowing she needed two low scores. Once it doesn't happen to start today's round, there's a natural resignation and decline. She needs to work on that swing and put in a full year on the Duramed tour.

• Administrator
Many message board posters loved to rip the caliber of play on that version of Big Break, but I thought it was underrated, once you got past Cirbie.

I think the Futures Tour is full of pretty bad golfers, relatively speaking, as is the bottom half of the LPGA Tour. So someone who qualifies for the LPGA Tour, eh, no big deal. Top half of the money list is one thing, but the gap between the top 10 and the bottom 10 on the LPGA Tour is probably 5x larger than the gap between the top 10 on the PGA Tour and the top 10 on the Nationwide Tour, in terms of talent.

The talent is spread pretty thin on the LPGA Tour...

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think the Futures Tour is full of pretty bad golfers, relatively speaking, as is the bottom half of the LPGA Tour. So someone who qualifies for the LPGA Tour, eh, no big deal. Top half of the money list is one thing, but the gap between the top 10 and the bottom 10 on the LPGA Tour is probably 5x larger than the gap between the top 10 on the PGA Tour and the top 10 on the Nationwide Tour, in terms of talent.

The comments weren't focusing on LPGA caliber at all. You had posters claiming the women on Big Break Kaanapali had no business on a program like that, or pursuing a golf career. It was hardly relegated to Cirbie. I was reading several message boards and every time someone flubbed a shot there was blanket assessment following the program.

I completely agree, the depth of talent isn't close to men's standards. But that's what allows a player like Elizabeth Stuart to believe she can eventually make it. In most cases I don't like their chances, for instance someone like Courtney Erdman with the poor swing mechanics. If I went back several months and said Dana Bates, Elizabeth Stuart and Adrienne Gautreaux McDonald, three of the first players eliminated from the recent Big Break, would be capable of three consecutive rounds in the even par range under Q School pressure, I doubt the vast majority of Big Break viewers would have believed it. That's basically all I'm saying. *** Anyway, two Big Break winners went in opposite directions today, both finishing at +1. Ashley Prange shot 69 and Bri Vega fell apart to 77. They are tied for 20th. Right now the top 30 and ties is +3. Dana Bates had a 74 and is T17 at even par.

...If I went back several months and said Dana Bates, Elizabeth Stuart and Adrienne Gautreaux McDonald, three of the first players eliminated from the recent Big Break, would be capable of three consecutive rounds in the even par range under Q School pressure, I doubt the vast majority of Big Break viewers would have believed it...Dana Bates had a 74 and is T17 at even par.

Wow, 44 years old and out there grinding for a spot on the LPGA Tour. I'm impressed with Dana's determination.

Adrienne Gautreaux McDonald really blew it. She shot 78 today and looks certain to miss the cutoff number by one shot at +6. It is currently +5, with 32 players at that number or better.

Dana Bates and Ashley Prange will advance. Dana ended up +2 and Ashley +3.

Elizabeth Stuart also moves to the final stage. She shot 74 to complete four rounds at +1.

Note: This thread is 5606 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!