IGNORED

Ball question: ProV too good for me?

Note: This thread is 5712 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've really been struggling the last few weeks. It may be just coincidence but I traced the trouble back chronologically to the time that I started playing Pro V1 balls. A few weeks ago I found refurbished Pro Vs in like new condition for sale at Play It Again Sports for $17.99 a dozen. I bought all they had (5 dozen). Most of them are Pro V1 with a few Pro V1x balls mixed in. Anyway, my theory is that the Pro V may actually be too good for my game. My swing speed is average. Not sure exactly what it is but I'm not a real long ball hitter. A really long drive for me goes 250 total. Maybe I don't generate enough clubhead speed to fully compress a Pro V. Plus, the extra spin tends to exaggerate any swing flaws (slice, for example). Just for giggles and grins I went to Golf Galaxy yesterday and bought a dozen of my trusty NXT Tours, went out to the course and, voila, my game was back to normal. Played 27 holes and shot 45, 45, 46. The scores could have been much lower if it weren't for a few 3 putts after hitting greens in regulation. All in all I struck the ball much better, it went a little farther and straighter than it has in weeks. I played all 27 holes with the same ball. Didn't hit it OB even one time. Hence, my question. Do you guys think there might be anything to my theory or is it just a placebo effect? In other words, maybe I just expected to play better because I had convinced myself I would play better with an NXT Tour than I would with a Pro V1.

In the Bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher Ultralight XL 270

FW: Taylor Made 300 17 degree 
3-PW: Mizuno MX-23

AW: Mizuno TP-T11 52/07 (Bent to 50)
SW: Mizuno TP-T11 56/10

LW: Mizuno TP-T11 60/05

Putter: Original Ping Zing

Ball: Wilson Staff FG Tour

Like you, I like the lower-spin balls that result in more distance. Not a long hitter here, either.

However, if you were allowed to switch balls when you got on or around the green, the ProV is what I'd prefer to be hitting.

Truth be told, I'll take the straighter flight and longer distance of the NXT Tour, Callaway HX Hot or Taylormade TP Red balls over the ProV any day.

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

No ball or equipment should be considered "too good" for anyone. It's all about fit; that is, a comparison made between the products' specifications and design compared to yours (as well as financial situation in some cases).

Play to your ability...

If you are a 15 handicap and you played 27 holes without losing a single ball, that is definetly the ball for you!

I have noticed many of my friends will have Nike's, TM, ProV's, etc etc in their bag, and they play all of them, just reach in and grab one and play it. And they wonder why their game is so inconsistent. Balls are just like clubs, they all vary in small ways from each other and perform different. ProV's have a lot of spin in them, and if you can't control them, you don't need to play them. You have the right idea, if you are a straight hitter with the ball you are playing now, stay with it. Thats one less thing you have to focus on.
Next time they give you all that civic bullshit about voting, keep in mind that Hitler was elected in a full, free democratic election- George Carlin

In the Hoofer bag:
10.5* Redline RPM G5 16* G5 19* G5 22* MX 200, 4-6, MP-52 7-W Vokey 50*, Vokey SM 54*, 58* G5i flatstick IGNITE ball

I think I'm onto something. Played 18 today and shot 91 (45 & 46). My putting's still a little shaky but it's coming back around. At this rate I'll be back in the 80s in no time. I still didn't lose any balls but did have to retire one because it hit the cart path. Oh, one more thing. Had my first ever eagle! Woohoo!!! Par 5 hole. Hit a nice straight drive. Put my 3 wood 2nd shot short of the green about 20 feet. Chipped in with a 60* lob wedge. Eagle!! What a great day on the golf course.

How does a guy have an eagle and still shoot 91, you ask? That 4 putt triple bogey on #5 had a lot to do with it.

In the Bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher Ultralight XL 270

FW: Taylor Made 300 17 degree 
3-PW: Mizuno MX-23

AW: Mizuno TP-T11 52/07 (Bent to 50)
SW: Mizuno TP-T11 56/10

LW: Mizuno TP-T11 60/05

Putter: Original Ping Zing

Ball: Wilson Staff FG Tour

ProV1, just use them. you'll end up being a better golfer. I took the survey and it ended up suggesting Srixon soft/feel. they just go off or to the back. far is not good when trying to get near the hole.

golf is how many not how far

Taylormade Driver HT
Taylormade 3 HT

Mcgregor 7w
Vulcan irons 5-P
Solus 53 61

Vokey 56

Scotty Caneron Flange/ Ping Cushin

Srixon ZStar

71 gold tees

bring cash

Have you tried the Titleist "Tour Prestige" Balls at Costco. It's about $1/ball. About $27 for 24 balls. I played the NXTs and they feel exactly the same, but cheaper (especially nice in this economy). You don't get much spin, but on a clean hit, I can bomb it 300+. It's DEFINITELY worth it for the money and performance.

I'm "consistently inconsistent" and can shoot 80s to 100s easily. I told myself I won't use Pro-Vs until I'm a single digit handicapper because I will loose too many balls and probably not get the true benefit of what the ball was made for.

At the end of the day, I think it comes down to your budget. If my wallet was infinite, I would by ProVs all day!

Thanks,
e

What's In My Bag?

Driver: R7 Limited 9.5 Loft w/ Matrix Ozik Stiff Shaft
Woods: (3) R7 Ti
Hybrid: (3/4) Tour Burner Rescue
Irons : (5-PW) G5
Wedges: (Degree- 50, 56, 60) Spin Milled Vokey
Putter: Cameron Studio Select 2 Mid Slant
Ball : Tour Prestige
*Costco balls $1/each until I get consistent!

910 D3 9.5* Aldila RIP S "B2"
R7 CGB 3 Wood Fuji S
'11 Rescue 3 Hybrid Aldila RIP S
      710 AP2: 4-PW DG300 S
      Vokey Spin Milled Black Nickel 50/56/60*

Newport Beach: Ghosted

... I have noticed many of my friends will have Nike's, TM, ProV's, etc etc in their bag, and they play all of them, just reach in and grab one and play it. ...

Totally guilty, I like trying different balls and sometimes get pleasantly surprised like by the Nike PDSoft ball. Only two (current) balls I will not play are the NXT and the Nike Karma, distance control issues. I do try and stick to the same ball type through the round unless I totally run out.

However, if I played a "special" round on a nice course I would want the new One Platinum or new V1x.

Mike

According to the guy at a course I've been too. Pro V1s are too good for the average golfer. He says that you lose distance.

Interesting, I wonder exactly what and "average golfer" is and how much distance is lost and in what way? According to the USGA:

A male "bogey golfer" is a player who has a Course Handicap of approximately 20 on a course of standard difficulty. He can hit tee shots an average of 200 yards and reach a 370-yard hole in two shots at sea level.

As near as I can tell the "average" USGA index is around 14.5.

Mike

• Administrator
As near as I can tell the "average" USGA index is around 14.5.

Yes, but only 20% of golfers have a handicap index.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Yes, but only 20% of golfers have a handicap index.

I knew most golfers didn't carry an index but I had never heard an actual number. I tried to Google "average golfer" and "average golf score" but didn't come up with anything very substantial or convincing.

* NGF research shows that ... * The average 18-hole score on a full-size course is 97 for men and 114 for women. It`s an even 100 for all golfers.

Average score 100, have to wonder how that statistic was calculated? In any case I feel that anyone who can keep a ball in play reasonably well can effectively play the Pro V1, maybe not ideal but good enough for horse shoes and golf.

Mike

97? that kind of seems low. I guarantee you 2/3 of the guys that play pub courses can't shoot sub 100.. even on the links course.

Sumo 10.5*
R7 Draw 15* 3W
3dx 17* 2H
Pi5 3-PW
Spin Milled Vokey 54* CG11 60* C-01

if you feel like you're loosing distance with the prov1, why not try playing the prov1x? it's the ball that I play and my ss is around 105 - 110 for my driver. the ball flight is cool and you can still get it to check up on the greens.

BUT if you're shooting that well with another ball...just stick to that.
remember prov1 isn't the only premium ball out there. there are a lot of balls that are awesome that might fit you better than a prov1.
Bridgestone B330S. One Black. TM Burner w/ LDP, Call Tour series etc.

have you tried going for a proper ball fitting? If you roll to any golfsmith or a club fitter with a launch monitor...they can suggest balls for you depending on your spin rate, launch angle, etc. I did it and it had me switch from Nike One Plat to Prov1x & I'm not mad at all!
DJ Yoshi
Official DJ: Rutgers Football
Boost Mobile Tour
In My Bag
HiBoreXL 9.5 White Board D63 Stiff Exotics CB2 5 Wood, Exotics CB3 3 Wood MP-60 5.5 Flighted Shafts 54 & Cleveland CG-10 60 Newport 2

the score in golf is kept by how many strokes it takes to put a ball into a hole> there is no scoring for how far you hit it< just how many times> you"ll hit a pro v less often that the rocks that you have to hit short and hope they roll on the green and not over it into a trap or hazard> if you want to hit is farther

Taylormade Driver HT
Taylormade 3 HT

Mcgregor 7w
Vulcan irons 5-P
Solus 53 61

Vokey 56

Scotty Caneron Flange/ Ping Cushin

Srixon ZStar

71 gold tees

bring cash

If you can find them, try the Top Flite Gamer or the D2 Soft. Both are great balls at a fraction of the cost of ProVs (ProVs are sweet though)

Driver: 10.5* SuperQuad TP 1st Edition All Black V2 Stiff
5 Wood - 585.h 19* DG S300
Irons: 3-PW S59 Stiff
Wedges: Rac TP 52*, 60* MP-T 56*
Putter(s): Anser 3 TP Black ballGET TO SINGLE DIGITS!Goal: Beat a certain admin that lives in my town

...... Do you guys think there might be anything to my theory or is it just a placebo effect? In other words, maybe I just expected to play better because I had convinced myself I would play better with an NXT Tour than I would with a Pro V1.

Based on my own experience, I'll go with placebo effect.

If I suspect that there is anything wrong, it goes wrong. I had my best money season with an old Spalding Tour Edition in 1987. It went out of production after being reduced to store/range ball markets. The ball didn't go anywhere but I was convinced it flew straighter. I really played the ball because it was soft off the putter and spun well. I managed to convince myself the spin didn't apply to tee shots. I didn't miss many fairways that year.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

Note: This thread is 5712 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!