IGNORED

sandy lyle ryder cup captain

extremeld
Note: This thread is 5711 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Out of the great quintet of players who put European golf back on the map and were all born within a year of each other (Ballesteros, Langer, Faldo, Woosnam, and Lyle), Sandy's the only one yet to captain a Ryder Cup team. He deserves the captaincy, and the only reason I would imagine him not being the European captain in 2010 is if the European PGA are obliged to make Ian Woosnam captain again, since the matches being played in Wales.

Colin Montgomerie will obviously be the European Ryder Cup captain at someday. He'll most likely be offered the position for the 2012 matches, and I'd say there's a 50-50 chance he lets Jose Maria Olazabal leapfrog ahead of him in the pecking order; that way, Monty can be captain when the matches are held at Gleneagles in 2014.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Sandy,s walk in at the Open will leave him open to ridicual from all quarters .The American team will feed off the fact that he is a Quitter
Sandy dissqualified himself the day he gave up.

In The Bag
Mizuno MX 560 Driver
Taylor made 3 wood
Mizuno HIFLI 21*
Mizuno MX 25's 4-pwMizuno MX series wedges 50, 56*/11 & 60*Bettinardi C02 putter4 bottles of pilsner,2 packs cigars

Sandy definitely deserves it, and is the only one of the Faldo, Seve era that hasn't received the honour of Ryder Cup captain.

For the record Monty hasn't actually been 'considered' ahead of Lyle, his name was simply brought up in the media before Lyle's was.

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

well by that measure monty couldnt be considered - ian woosnam either - they have all thrown wobblies Lyle just happens to be the most recent.

Throwing a wobbly is one thing. What Lyle did at the Open was a discrace.How do you think the reserve players felt (one of whom had travelled from NZ) who were desperate to play and ended up watching someone who should have known better "walk in" after 9 . A leader of men? dont make me laugh

In The Bag
Mizuno MX 560 Driver
Taylor made 3 wood
Mizuno HIFLI 21*
Mizuno MX 25's 4-pwMizuno MX series wedges 50, 56*/11 & 60*Bettinardi C02 putter4 bottles of pilsner,2 packs cigars

the reserve players feelings are hardly a concern.

as a reserve you make the choice to travel and hope to get in or you make the decision to play elsewhere - i dont think i will be feeling sorry for anyone who plays pro golf for a living.

A leader of men dont make me laugh?

Are you kidding me Lyle is one of the most respected golfers from the UK ever, former world number 1 beat faldo to the open and the masters hitting one of the most well known shots in golf,

Lyle and Faldo used to be the big guns from Britain and in that popularity contest (well it was never a contest)

If you judge people so harshly that 1 bad day defines their career then everyone would have a bad reputation.

Make Sandy captain!

Being captian is not about the players past ability as a golfer but about character and leadership qualities. Lyle is known as a nice guy ,he is also now known as the guy that quit.
If Sandy is picked I will back him 100%, just dont ask me to vote for him

In The Bag
Mizuno MX 560 Driver
Taylor made 3 wood
Mizuno HIFLI 21*

Note: This thread is 5711 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!