IGNORED

Wierd Rules Question

telrod11
Note: This thread is 5686 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

It's your fault. Once you are on the green you have to mark your ball.

It is correct that everyone mark their balls in the larger tournaments immediately, thought you are completely wrong about it being his fault.

The rules are 100% crystal clear on this matter, this is nothing to discuss. The one taking a shot is always responsible for anything he hit. If someone is watching the flag while someone is making a long put, then not being able to pull it out, ending in the ball hitting the flag, it's the one who shot the ball who gets the penalty. I always encourage people to mark their ball, maybe just to clean it a bit. Nothing is more devastating than a tiny corn of sand on the ball, making your put go 2 feet instead of 10. I've done it once, after that I always clean my ball when necessary. Also remember that your ball doesn't necessarily have to be in someones line. Especially within a couple of feet from the hole the ball can easily travel around the edge of the cup, pick up speed and launch of in another direction, hitting a ball. To summarize: Always mark your ball when there's a chance your oponent can hit it. It can be a bit off his line, but he can do a bad putt, pushing it to the right and maybe missing by many feet. When on the green, it's always the one taking the shot that is responsible for not hitting anything else on the green. It's that persons responsibility to ask the oponent to mark his ball if he's forgotten or doesn't have the habit of doing this. The mental aspect is also something to consider, having a second ball in your sight while putting can be disturbing. I always clear away leaves around my sight when putting, toss away old tees from the tee when it's my turn. Those small things is enough to let your mind wander.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

OK, messing around playing skins with a guy from work, and we

First like many others have said, you should not have taken a 2 stroke penalty, he should have for hitting your ball. This actually happened to me in a tournament, I was putting, didn't have a kid make his ball since it was 2 feet right of my line. I then proceed to push my ball right and hit his ball, end up with an 11 on the hole.

Also, no one has mentioned this but I thought I might. He cannot tell you that you cannot finish the hole. I mean look at the pros on tour. If they miss a putt and have a tap in, most of the time they will go finish the hole. Although you must be conscious about not stepping on anyone else's line, and if you don't have a way to do that while feeling comfortable over the putt then just mark the ball and wait to tap in once you can take your normal stance, after everyone else has finished.

Here's what I play:

Titleist 907 D2 10.5* UST ProForce V2 76-S | Titleist 906F4 18.5* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist 585H 21* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist ZB 4-PW TTDG S300 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 54.10 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60.08 | Scotty Cameron Red X5 33" |

Also, no one has mentioned this but I thought I might. He cannot tell you that you cannot finish the hole. I mean look at the pros on tour. If they miss a putt and have a tap in, most of the time they will go finish the hole.

That's in medal play. In match play, if you play out of turn, your opponent can require you to replay your shot.

In any case, the OP's coworker is an ass for not conceding the 6" putt and then trying to cheat him with some bogus ruling.

I think the ruling is in on this one. But I'd like to ditto the ass statement above and also that he won't pay. If he is this adament about being "Dr.No" to all of your questions, especially with such a twisted version of the rules, there is no way he will suddenly see the error of his ways even after being confronted with the facts. I have a better chance beating Tiger straight up than you getting your money back. Tough luck, but you know the best thing to do with a cheater......Never play with them again.

OK, messing around playing skins with a guy from work, and we

Thanks to all that commented. Thought I would follow up on what I did in the situation....

We were playing .50 / hole, and I did not give him the hole, and since I had no idea how the ruling should have gone, we wound up going in to 18 playing for three. I would like to blame me being pi**ed off with the guy as the reason I pulled my drive, but anyway, I went ahead and paid him 1.50 for the skins..... (We have played again since, and I took 5.50 from him, so I feel a bit better about the whole thing....)

--
Driver: R7 460 9.5 Stiff Shaft
Fairway Woods: Steelhead 3 and 5 Stiff Shaft
Irons: :: R7 CGB Stiff Shaft Steel
Wedges: Vokey 56 / 52 Stiff ShaftPutter: Oddysey White HotBag: R7 Stand bagRangeFinder: (Nikon) LR550Ball Prefer Pro-V1, but usually play what you just lostâ¦..

It's possible he was thinking of the old Stymie rule but even then I'm not sure that when Stymie was a legit tactic you could deliberately hit someone else's golf ball. Aside from the few bucks you lost I'd be more concerned since this is someone you work with. The old adage "Golf doesn't build character but reveals it" applies here. Watch your back....

Next time don't ask, just mark the ball. If a player tells you you don't need to mark, then you can put your ball back if he hits it.

What a jerk though.

G10 Driver
G10 4-wd
G15 7-wd
X-18 Proseries 3i-PW
X-Tour 52d gap wedge X-Tour 58d lob/sand wedge Dual-force Rossie II (mallet head) putter Pro-V1x only (baby!)Play at a private NJ g.c.

Note: This thread is 5686 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!