IGNORED

Mid Handicappers

Note: This thread is 5673 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

i like the chart all except for the part that tells you how much you have to improve.....it hurts my feelings too much!

increasing GIR from 3 to 8 (267% increase)
increasing Iron Accuracy from 20 to 53% (265% increase)

thanks for the reference!

in my cart bag

Hi-Bore XL 9.5* stiff flex
Sport Series 19* 5 wood
Sport Series 15* 3 wood HBT Irons PW-3H Reg. 588 64*

I hope this isn't off topic, but here is a link with some interesting information on stats. I'm not sure how accurate it is. There is a chart about half way down the page that shows average stats based on average scores for a 71 to 99 shooter. I think it's worth a click to compare your stats. It has helped me know what to work on in the past.

Fantastic Chart! The "relationship" column kind of hits the nail on the head. MHers are going to have a high correlation between GIR and Pars per round because it takes double or worse out of the equation for the most part. Most of us MHers will post a good number when we avoid the big numbers. The question for most of us is how to make more pars than bogeys consistently. Ralph Maltby http://www.ralphmaltby.com/348 has a great template that he uses for club fitting by keeping stats on very specific things based around what clubs you use for each shot in a round. Anyone who is golf obsessed (guilty) can use it to identify strengths and areas needing improvement in their game. Avg for my 5 best this year (home course par 71/71.6/132) FIR 7/16 GIR 8/18 Putts 32 I would say that my "strength" in those rounds was consistent shot shape. Somedays was the fade and others were straight but it was consistent for that round.

I play to a 15.0

For my last 20 rounds:

Fairways: 47%
Greens: 32%
Putts/Hole: 2.14
Best Round: 83
Worst Round: 106

And yes, I know I need to work on putting.

Driver: 909 D3 10.5 degree Aldila Voodoo S Shaft
3 Wood: MP 001
Irons: MP-67 3-PW
Wedges: 52, 56, 60
Putter: Karsten B60

The link for the stats compared to the avg golfer was pretty interesting.

My stats:

18.2 handicap
1.87 putts per hole
2.06 putts after GIR
45.8% driving accuracy
15.7% of greens in regulation

I think the above analysis should be the official definition of bogey golfer.

Im happy considering I only played 2 or 3 times a year for the past 10 years prior to this march... then I went on a mission to become a better player. It will be interesting to see these stats compared to my stats next march.

13 Wedges
1 Putter

Another interesting stat that I started keeping was from Golf Digest on "Strokes lost to bad drives". The idea is that just because you didn't hit a fairway doesn't mean you hit a bad drive. The way it works is you score each drive as 0 = either hit the fairway or land in the rough be still have a good chance of hitting the green; 1 = hit into the rough and a small chance of hitting the green; 2 = no shot of hitting the green after your drive (like when you hit it behind a tree), 3 = hitting into a hazard; 4 = hitting OB. Total your score and divide it by two. This is the average amount of strokes you are losing per round due to bad drives.

Kevin

-------
In the Bag
Driver: G15 9.0*3 & 5 Wood: BurnerHybrid: Pro Gold 20*; 23*Irons: MP-58 (5-PW)Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled 52*8; 56*14Putter: Newport 2.0 33"Balls: NXT

Fairways: 44
GIR: 29
Putts: 1.97

My Clubs
Nicklaus Progressive XC Irons: 3H,4H, 5-GW
Ray Cook SW & Gyro 1 Putter
Taylor Made Burner Driver 10.5
Taylor Made V-Steel 3 & 5 MetalsMy Home Course: Indian RiverMy Blog: Rant-o-Rama-Ding-Dong

Another interesting stat that I started keeping was from Golf Digest on "Strokes lost to bad drives". The idea is that just because you didn't hit a fairway doesn't mean you hit a bad drive. The way it works is you score each drive as 0 = either hit the fairway or land in the rough be still have a good chance of hitting the green; 1 = hit into the rough and a small chance of hitting the green; 2 = no shot of hitting the green after your drive (like when you hit it behind a tree), 3 = hitting into a hazard; 4 = hitting OB. Total your score and divide it by two. This is the average amount of strokes you are losing per round due to bad drives.

Very interesting! I think I'll try to keep this stat for a few rounds.

I'll recap where my game is and where improvement COULD be made. I'm probably at the high end of what you might term a mid-handicap player. Took stock of game and figured out that:

1) Driving the ball in play and as far out as possible was a must

2) Getting better around and on the greens was a matter of time and effort

This year, I've gotten way better at these two facets of the game and the scores definitely came down overall.

Next year, it's at least a half dozen lessons in hope of finding a more repeatable swing that leads to more solid ball striking from the fairway. I hit fewer than 20% of GIR.

I can hit fairways consistently, (probably 70%) with my driver and I can get up and down from AROUND the green in 3 or fewer stokes MOST of the time. The complete meltdown part of my game continues to be everything between driver and the wedges.

Yep. Definitely time for some lessons!

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I am not sure what a Mid Handicapper is but I am a 12.8 as of the last update

For 2008 my stats are as follows

Fairways: 32.6 %
GIR: 32.26 %
Putts: 1.90/hole (34.2/round)

This is a great thread. I like to see how I compare to other handicaps. I actually know that the tee shot is really hurting my score. The fairways I miss are often unplayable (woods/very short/etc) and I started hitting a punch 3 wood on way to many holes

G10
SteelHead III
I3
Vockey
588 BC-2

I am not sure what a Mid Handicapper is but I am a 12.8 as of the last update

My tee shots suffer the same fate but until I fix my driver I think of it as practice for when I will need those shots.

« Keith »

I've never kept track, and also I'm pretty sure I'm not a correct 13.2 (probably around 16.5ish). But I played twice this weekend (42,45)

Saturday:
Fairways - 43%
Greens - 44% (counting putts off fringe)
Putts - 2.0 (counting putts off fringe)

Sunday:
Fairways - 71%
Greens - 33%
Putts - 2.1

Altogether:
Fairways - 64%
Greens - 39%
Putts - 2.06

I need to work on my putting and my approach.

I noticed posts of both season averages and posts of a single or best round. Maybe it would be beneficial to look at both and see what made the biggest scoring difference.

2008 Average
Score: 88
Fairways: 32.6%
GIR: 32.26%
Putts: 34.2
Birdies: .7/round

Best Round
Score: 77
Fairways: 57% (8/14)
GIR: 50% (9/18)
Putts: 29
Birdies: 3

I think the Fairways stat really set everything else up for me. I was able to have a comfortable shot into a green and I am confident with my irons. Because of the good lie I was able to aim for the right quadrant of the green instead of the middle of the green leaving shorter putts which equals more one putts. That also equals more birdies :)

G10
SteelHead III
I3
Vockey
588 BC-2

My index is 13.5

Fairways: 64% (accurate off the tee but average drive is only 220 yds)
GIR: 29%
Putts: 1.88 per hole or 33.8 per round

My short game needs to improve if I'm going to reach my goal of becoming a single digit handicap by next year.

Cleveland Classic XL 10.5 Rombax 6X07
Titleist 904F Aldila NV
Nickent 3DX hybrid

MX-25 irons & MP-R wedges

Odyssey #5

Leopold GX1/Skycaddie SG5

Sun Mountain Hybrid Bag

i don't really keep the stats, but I know everytime I play, my fairway % is only 50%..GIR is worse, where normally I get into green on 3 (par 4) and 4 (par 5)...most of the time, I have 1 putt, max 2 putts...

Only started using keepmygolfscore.com the other week and my last two rounds are :-

2008-10-11
Par 70
Score 79
Fairways 3/13
GIR 9
Putts 33
Birdies 3
Pars 6
Bogeys 6
Doubles 3

2008-10-17
Par 70
Score 76
Fairways 8/13
GIR 8
Putts 31
Birdies 1
Pars 11
Bogeys 5
Doubles 1

Current Index is 11.6 and am working on hitting more fairways, taking 3 wood on tighter holes and learning more control with my driver

Note: This thread is 5673 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!