IGNORED

Slicing like crazy with Burner Driver..

Note: This thread is 5667 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The #1 on the golf team recently fixed my slice. Stand a little closer to the ball, and a little narrower together. Now move your hands in front of ball by about 1 or 2 inches. It works for me pefectly.

So, you are saying narrow the stance, stand closer to the ball, and move your hands 1 to 2 inches ahead of the ball. All things that conventionally don't fit with a driver setup. Whatever works.

My Clubs
Nicklaus Progressive XC Irons: 3H,4H, 5-GW
Ray Cook SW & Gyro 1 Putter
Taylor Made Burner Driver 10.5
Taylor Made V-Steel 3 & 5 MetalsMy Home Course: Indian RiverMy Blog: Rant-o-Rama-Ding-Dong

Yes, I need to get a video and/or friend. So far with all the friends advise and other golfers in general, the following is what has been told to me.

So are you saying all Burner drivers are longer than average? Just wondering because I have last years model, am also 5'-10", and have no problem with it. Good luck working on all of those issues.

My Clubs
Taylor Made V-Steel 3 & 5 MetalsMy Home Course: Indian RiverMy Blog: Rant-o-Rama-Ding-Dong

Yes, I need to get a video and/or friend. So far with all the friends advise and other golfers in general, the following is what has been told to me.

Sounds like you really don't have a good lead on the root problem, and you're going to end up taking golf aspirin until you overdose. Harvey Penick said "When you take an aspirin, don't take the whole bottle."

I'm going to add #9. Seek out a professional you can trust, then trust their instruction. It will be well worth your effort. That old saying, "It's not the arrow, it's the indian" also comes to mind. Don't blame your equipment so fast. Loosing your grip during the swing because the grip is old and worn out is one thing, but any pro can pick up almost any club and hit a decent shot. Good mechanics are not fully correlated to club design.
Favorite Practice Course:
Z Boaz Municipal, Fort Worth <<< Ben Hogan grew up playing here!
--------------------------------------------------

In the bag: 983E 9.5*, Fuji Speeder S RPM LP, 4W, Neutral Bias STAFF Ci6 irons, S (going up for sale soon) Tom Watson PVD 08 Wedges (G.S,L)... and a 4...

So are you saying all Burner drivers are longer than average? Just wondering because I have last years model, am also 5'-10", and have no problem with it. Good luck working on all of those issues.

yes it's about an inch longer. From my understanding, it's longer because the theory behind the burner is that it's a long bomber so the longer shaft "gives" more yardage (you just have to hit it right..lol).

In my Edge and Atlas bag:
driver: FT-iQ 9R and Taylormade R9 460 10.5 R
wood: 5 Wood FT-iQ Neutral
hybrid(s): 3 Burner
irons: x22 3-PWwedges: Black Nickel Vokey 52/8, 56/11 & Oil Can 60/7 and Callaway x-Forge 56putter: Studio Style Newport 2 33" and Sabretooth 33"GPS RangeFinder: uPRORangeFinder....

So, you are saying narrow the stance, stand closer to the ball, and move your hands 1 to 2 inches ahead of the ball. All things that conventionally don't fit with a driver setup. Whatever works.

I agree, I will try it out though...?

irons: x22 3-PWwedges: Black Nickel Vokey 52/8, 56/11 & Oil Can 60/7 and Callaway x-Forge 56putter: Studio Style Newport 2 33" and Sabretooth 33"GPS RangeFinder: uPRORangeFinder....

Sounds like you really don't have a good lead on the root problem, and you're going to end up taking golf aspirin until you overdose. Harvey Penick said "When you take an aspirin, don't take the whole bottle."

No I really don't think it's a gear. On the other hand, the only lead I currently have is the fact that choking up/down on the driver does help me control it, which leads me to believe the longer shaft is contributing to my slice, hence, I'm not giving it enough time to close. Tee'ng the ball up on my left toe as opposed to my inside foot, also helps (if I'm gripping it normal-not choking up on the club). This gives enough time as it face comes down to close. So, although I mentioned, equipment. I'm really thinking a shorter driver, in comparison to the burner may do wonders???? It's all theory...lol

1. Burner is not a good driver for me. Too long. - what is too long??
2. Grip is weak. - could be a problem, have to find a happy medium with your grip.
3. In-out swing. - that is good thing.
4. Release issues. - very well causes slice issues
5. Face too open. - see #4, if you don't release your face stays open
6. Tee issues (low/high). - half of ball should be above the top line of the face of the driver
7. Hip/Shoulder not sync (fast/slow). - don't know about that
8. Downswing not fast enough. - BS, you can have a slow downswing, doesn't equate to a slice.

Hope that helps. You have gotten a lot of advice here, some of which may hurt you and some of which may help you. Its up to you to figure out what works for you. I suggest lessons from a real teacher, not just a professional. Professional != good golf instructor.

1. Burner is not a good driver for me. Too long. - what is too long??

I'm taking everything with a grain of salt but it does help to hear people's opinion of what works for them or not. I can't copy everything down to a "tee" (no pun intended) but can try to work and pinpoint possiblities.

yes it's about an inch longer. From my understanding, it's longer because the theory behind the burner is that it's a long bomber so the longer shaft "gives" more yardage (you just have to hit it right..lol).

Interesting. I am hitting more fairways with it compared to my old club for sure. Hit 8 fairways last round. Too bad I only hit two greens. The grip on the burner is a little funky too. There is a ridge right on top of the grip where your thumbs normally lie. It's like it is forcing you to not put either thumb on top. Just thought of something else for you. I was having a lot of problems with my driver about 6 to 8 months ago so I googled every article and video I could just about hitting the driver. What emerged were certain fundamentals that apply only to the driver. I determined that the driver took a different approach than the other clubs especially the setup. The many articles and videos, many of which were professionally done, did a lot more good than trying to put together a bunch of comments from a forum.

My Clubs

When you start your downswing try to drop your right elbow straight down at the ground, keep your right elbow as close to your ribs as you can, and don't fire your wrists until the last second. At least that's what I do...

If winning isn't everything why do they keep score?
- Vince Lombardi

In my Ping Hoofer 08 camo bag :
Cobra 454 Comp 10.5* UST ProForce V2 stiffTaylormade R7 TP 15* UST ProForce V2 stiffTaylormade R7 TP 17.5* UST ProForce V2 stiffAdams A1 Pro Idea 4-PWTitleist Oil Can 52*Titleist Oil Can Spin...

Any advice on correcting this? From strong grip, swing plane, I can't figure it out! Aside from the advice that it's a long club I'm about to try another driver.

I'm also 5-10 and played the Burner for about 1 year before I upgraded to the R7 Limited. The guys are absolutely right that the Burner already has a closed face to help counter slices (since most people slice).

I would suggest the following checks when your at the range (sorry if some of this has been mentioned, but it's what I usually do). I usually draw the ball, but I have been fading and slicing lately (that's the game). I have been able to correct going right and now I'm straight again w/ a mild draw. I'm definitely a student of the game and read, listen and try to figure out this on my own. This will hopefully save you a lot of pain and effort. Try the following and I'm pretty confident you can fix it. It's DEFINITELY not the driver. 1) BODY SYNC a. Speed up your hands At the top of your backswing, are you pausing too long? When you come down on the swing, is your body leading and your hands lagging? b. Minimize your pause at the top of your swing Purposely try to hook the ball so you can get a feeling on finding the "in between." To do this, at soon as you get to the top of your backswing, don't pause and lead with your hands so they come across the ball before your body. This will promote a closed face at contact and should make you go left 2) GRIP a. Close Clubface at Address Ensure you have a strong grip by having the club face closed at address. With the clubface closed at setup, this will ensure you have a strong grip 3) STANCE & SETUP a. Bend your knees and ensure the sole of the club is flat with the ground Sometimes you might be standing up too straight making the heel of the club higher. b. Move further from the ball at setup If you are too close to the ball, you will promote an out-to-in swing thus giving you a slice. Ensure you have enough room between you and the ball so that you hit it coming from inside c. Keep your head down If you pick your head and body up at impact, your club face will be open as well. To reduce body movement, picture your body inside a barrel and limit your movement to only the space within that barrel 4) SWING PLANE a. Ties into 3B above. But visualize a CD or plastic glass around your body. Follow that glass plane with your club inside on the backswing to out on the forward swing. b. Ensure your left shoulder it pointing down on the ball . This ensures you are turning correctly. I think this is big because with the proper shoulder turn, your arms will naturally go back on an inside path. This really helped me a lot. 5) FINAL ADVICE: Take 2 weeks off golf to remove all the bad swing thoughts. Come back after the 2 weeks and quit! Just kidding. You should probably get lessons if all else fails or even the Medicus. Try to visualize what I said at each item on the checklist. If you can picture it, ie., opening your body and lifting your head up at impact, you will should also be able to think about the club opening at impact as a result. I'm no pro, but I've been in the same situation, so hopefully this list will help you check off what you are doing right and what you are doing wrong. Good luck and let us know how it goes

910 D3 9.5* Aldila RIP S "B2"
R7 CGB 3 Wood Fuji S
'11 Rescue 3 Hybrid Aldila RIP S
      710 AP2: 4-PW DG300 S
      Vokey Spin Milled Black Nickel 50/56/60*

Newport Beach: Ghosted

My driver stance just happens for me. It's a known fact that the closer you stand to the ball, the longer the club. And the longer the club, the more distance. I don't have a big swing speed, but I hit it perfect, and my average is around 230.

P.S. I'll set up with the ball at the toe, therefore promoting more of a draw.

My driver stance just happens for me.

??????????

My Clubs

My driver stance just happens for me. It's a known fact that the closer you stand to the ball, the longer the club. And the longer the club, the more distance. I don't have a big swing speed, but I hit it perfect, and my average is around 230.

Just to try and confirm:

From what I understand from a technical POV on the longer clubs and Driver, 1) If you put the ball at address further back, you will slice/fade/push or go right because your club face will be open on the way down. You hit the ball earlier and it goes right 2) If you put the ball at address further forward, you will hook/draw/pull or go left because your club face will be starting to close on the way up on the follow through 3) If you stand too close to the ball, you promote an "Out-to-In" Plane which causes you to go right. You have no room to make the club have an "Inside Swing Plane" so it's tough to not keep the ball from going right. 4) If you stand further from the ball, you promote more of a "In-to-Out" Plane which helps you go left. You're far from the ball so it's hard to get an "Out-to-In" swing so the ball goes left. This is just general observations for the most part, but of course, no swing is the same. I also setup at address the ball at the toe of my club and I end up hitting it in the center. e

910 D3 9.5* Aldila RIP S "B2"
R7 CGB 3 Wood Fuji S
'11 Rescue 3 Hybrid Aldila RIP S
      710 AP2: 4-PW DG300 S
      Vokey Spin Milled Black Nickel 50/56/60*

Newport Beach: Ghosted

Note: This thread is 5667 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!