IGNORED

So I started taking lessons...I think I'm happy?

Note: This thread is 5625 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I always have this thought in my mind

Good post. Ben Hogan agreed with you. When he was asked to help a Tour pro, he looked at him and said, "Dig it out of the dirt." That is what Hogan did. In the early part of his career, he had a tendency to duck hook the ball (especially with the driver). He knew that if he kept that up, he would go broke being a professional golfer, so he went out and worked at it, changed his swing, and learned to hit a controlled fade (it is written that his ball moved only 2 or 3 yards left to right, but it was completely dependable, at all times, including high pressure).

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

Thing about golf if you might read, or be told the same tip 10 times just worded different, or see a different drill thats supposed to solve the same problem. I mean honestly everytime I pick up a golf digest I see a new quick fix tip for a slice off the tee. But then one day you will read, or someone will tell you the very same basic information but worded with a different analogy and it will click for you.

To me thats what makes a good pro, its finding out how to put a lesson to each particular student in a way that will make them understand.

The first lesson I took early on I was having trouble with my stance, and where to put my weight. Me and the Pro had been working on it for a few minutes and I just couldnt get into a comfortable position. Then he said to me "You play basketball?" I tell him I played 3 years of varsity ball. He says "Good, play defense." Never had a problem with my stance since.

Clubs I havent thrown in a lake yet

Driver: R7 CGB max 9.5*
Woods: R5 3, and 5 woods
Hybrids: Rescue Burner 22*, 25*Irons: CG Red 6 - PWWedges: CG12 52*, 56*, 60*Putter: 1 of 100 handmade pebble beach http://scottycameronblog.com/2007/09...pebble-beach/#Vegas golf sucks!!

Thing about golf if you might read, or be told the same tip 10 times just worded different, or see a different drill thats supposed to solve the same problem. I mean honestly everytime I pick up a golf digest I see a new quick fix tip for a slice off the tee. But then one day you will read, or someone will tell you the very same basic information but worded with a different analogy and it will click for you.

Your pro put you "on the right track". When I give a beginning golf student golf lessons, lesson #1 consists of posture, the grip, and the basketball drill. On posture, I use the basketball analogy or the posture of a shortstop in baseball or a quarterback in football when he gets behind the center to take the snap. It is called the "athletic posture", and it puts you in good balance to do the body turn (that is what the golf swing is----a body turn, primarily a shoulder turn, underneath a relatively steady head). I explain to my students that you start out with 50% of your weight on each foot, and then turn your body so that 85% of your weight is transferred to your back foot, and then you make a downswing so that 100% of your weight ends up on your front foot. You cannot accomplish that kind of weight transfer effectively without athletic posture. That then leads to the basketball drill where the sudent assumes athletic posture, holds the basketball in front of them, makes a shoulder turn and weight transfer and throws the ball to another student. Athletic posture makes it easy for people to start doing this right, so that the ball goes to the target. Your pro gave you very good advice.

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

...I mean honestly everytime I pick up a golf digest I see a new quick fix tip for a slice off the tee...

You can pick up a little tip now and then that helps, but golf magazines are the sports equivalent of a lot of women's magazines. Rather than articles like "Do Those Pants Make You Look Fat?", "How to Know If He Really Loves You" or "Lose 20 Pounds in Three Days", the stories are "Split The Fairway Every Time", "Never Miss A Short Putt Again" or "Five Tips Guaranteed To Cure Your Slice Forever".

They prey on the weakness and insecurity of their readers. A woman's golf magazine could have stories like, "Does Your 9-iron Make you Look Fat?" or "How A New Driver Will Spice Up Your Sex Life" - money in the bank! SubPar

Note: This thread is 5625 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!