IGNORED

Grand Slam Odds For Tiger In 2006

jeffgladchun
Note: This thread is 6587 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been reading up on the odds for the masters on GolfOdds.com and found a link to the odds of how many majors Tiger will win on '06. They have the Grand Slam listed as 30-1 odds. That seems like ridiculously likely odds to me. I mean: Jim Furyk, Davis Love III, and Chris DiMarco are all listed at 30:1 to win the Masters! How does this strike you?

Jeff Gladchun

In my bag:
Driver: TaylorMade R7 Quad, 9.5°, Aldila NV
3 Wood: Titleist 904F, 15°, YS-6+ StiffIrons: Titleist 695CB 3-PWWedges: Titleist Vokey 252.08, SM56.10 SM60.08Putter: Odyssey White Steel #5 Center-ShaftBall: TaylorMade TP Black / Titleist ProV1xHome Course: Oakland Hills...

• Administrator
How does this strike you?

As a good investment.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think it's crazy. Having only 30-1 odds is not enough, I think it should be in the ballpark of around 100-1. Personally I feel he's capable of pulling it off, but a calendar grand slam, thats just insane!
Northeastern University Golf Team

In Play:
Driver - Titleist 905R 9.5*/Aldila NV 75sFairway Wood - Titleist 904f 14.5*Dynamic Gold S300Hybrid - Cleveland Halo 2Iron(19*)Irons - Titleist 735cm(stainless)/Dynamic Gold S300 (Bent +0.5 degrees upright, +1.0 degrees strong) Wedges - Callaway...

• Administrator
I think it's crazy. Having only 30-1 odds is not enough, I think it should be in the ballpark of around 100-1. Personally I feel he's capable of pulling it off, but a calendar grand slam, thats just insane!

You seem to forget that he's already DONE a grand slam... just not in the same year. He won four consecutive majors, and as far as I'm concerned, that IS a grand slam.

100-1? I'd put down $100 or maybe even $1,000 on that in a heartbeat, and I'd do it every year until he's 40!

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

You seem to forget that he's already DONE a grand slam... just not in the same year. He won four consecutive majors, and as far as I'm concerned, that IS a grand slam.

I don't really think the Tiger Slam counts as a grand slam. Bobby Jones did it in one year, so that should be the standard. Its obviously a tremendous feat, but I don't think Tiger will be happy until he does it in one year.

But yeah, put me down for a $1K on it.

Jeff Gladchun

In my bag:
3 Wood: Titleist 904F, 15°, YS-6+ StiffIrons: Titleist 695CB 3-PWWedges: Titleist Vokey 252.08, SM56.10 SM60.08Putter: Odyssey White Steel #5 Center-ShaftBall: TaylorMade TP Black / Titleist ProV1xHome Course: Oakland Hills...

Tiger certainly has a better chance than anyone else does, but he won't ever win the calendar grand slam. The odds should definitely be 100:1 at least.

In fact, I don't think Tiger will even win The Masters this year, so the grand slam talk will be over in a month or so. Then again, I said Tiger wouldn't win last year either.

Tiger certainly has a better chance than anyone else does, but he won't ever win the calendar grand slam. The odds should definitely be 100:1 at least.

If you'll give me 5:2 odds, I'll take that bet.

Jeff Gladchun

In my bag:

• Administrator
I don't really think the Tiger Slam counts as a grand slam. Bobby Jones did it in one year, so that should be the standard. Its obviously a tremendous feat, but I don't think Tiger will be happy until he does it in one year.

Bobby Jones also didn't win the same tournaments, so whoopty doo? We can argue all we want about whether Bobby had stiffer competition back then (he didn't), you can't say "he did it in the same year, so that's the standard" while ignoring that the standard has quite clearly changed.

Bobby excluded, nobody else ever held all four major championships at the same time. Tiger did. That's a Grand Slam in my book, and not one diminished with any "yeah, but"s.

I agree that Tiger's four majors in a row is just as good as a grand slam, at least in my eyes. That's even more reason for me to believe he won't do it again. It's a once in a lifetime achievement for Tiger. I don't think there is any chance he could win four in a row twice in a career.

Jeff, I'll pay up at The Newport Cup if Tiger wins all four this year. But I'm only betting with you. If Tiger did somehow pull it off, I'm definitely no money bags.

In a major (especially the US Open), one funny bounce or one lie in a divot can cost the victory. Multiply that by 4 and you have astronomical odds AGAINST anyone winning 4 in a row, especially in the same year. I think the odds should be much higher than 100-1, even for Tiger.

• Administrator
In a major (especially the US Open), one funny bounce or one lie in a divot can cost the victory. Multiply that by 4 and you have astronomical odds AGAINST anyone winning 4 in a row, especially in the same year. I think the odds should be much higher than 100-1, even for Tiger.

Tiger met those astronomical odds, though, of winning four in a row.

Note: This thread is 6587 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!