IGNORED

19 deg or 22 deg hybrid to replace my 20 deg 3-iron?

Danfix99
Note: This thread is 5618 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello everyone,

I decided on Taylormade Burner hybrid, but I am not sure which loft to get, 19 or 22 deg. I currently play a 18 deg 5-wood, which I really like from the tee and fairway, but not from the rough. I have heard that distance-wise, a 4-hybrid typically replaces a 3-iron. My 3-iron is 20 deg, 4-iron is 23 deg, and I don't hit either one very well. I am getting a hybrid mostly for shots out of the rough. Opinions? Thanks.

In my bag:

Driver: HiBore XL
3-Wood: Insight BUL
5-Wood: Insight BUL

4-Hybrid: Taylormade Burner Rescue

Irons: Big Bertha 2006, 5-PW

GW: CG11 50*

SW: CG11 54* (bent to 55*)

LW: CG11 60*

Putter: Odyssey D.A.R.T White Ice

JMHO...I think the 22 would be exactly the club you are looking for, as it would fit all the criteria listed above. I wouldn't worry about a gap between it and the 5 wood unless it is over 20-25 yards.

22* cuzz hybrids go further than a 22* iron
In my black carry bag
Driver- 909 D2 10.5* 76g Stiff UST Proforce V2
3-Wood 909 F3 14.5* 82g Stiff UST Proforce V2
Hybrid- 585-H 19* 85g Stiff Flex Adilla Proto
Irons- Z-B Forged 3iron-PW Project X 6.0Gap Wedge- Vokey Spin Milled 52|8Sand Wedge- Vokey Spin Milled 56|10Putter- Scotty Cameron...

go with the 22* hybrid. it will effectively replace a 3iron and maybe even your 4iron as well. there wont be much of a gap between that and the 5wood. if you replace the 3 and 4irons with the hybrid you can also look into adding another wedge or something to help out with your short game. that's just my take.

In my Diablo Edge Tour/ Titliest Stand Bag:
Driver: Nike VR Pro 8.5* w/ Myazaki 43g X
3 Wood: Nike VR Pro II 13.5* w/ Diamana Whiteboard 83g X
5 Wood: Cobra S9-1 Pro 18* w/ Diamana Whiteboard 83g X

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 21* w/ Prolaunch Red X
Irons: 4-7 Titleist 712 CB, 8-9 712 MB w/ TT Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: 46* Vokey SM4, 54* Vokey SM4, 60* TMade ATV

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Belly 43"

I use my 19* hybrid to replace my 5w and fill the gap between my 4i (not sure of it's loft) and my 3w. I don't hit the hybrid as far as I hit the 5w but there really wasn't much of a distinction between my 3W and 5w, so it made sense for me to drop the 5w and pick up a LW.

Nike Vapor Speed driver 12* stock regular shaft
Nike Machspeed 4W 17*, 7W 21* stock stiff shafts
Ping i10 irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW AWT stiff flex
Titleist SC Kombi 35"; Srixon Z Star XV tour yellow

Clicgear 3.0; Sun Mountain Four 5

I have a 23 degree 4H Nickent 4DX that I'm looking to unload if you're intersted. In overall good shape with the stock stiff SR3 shaft.

SLDR 430 TP Graphite Design DI-6s
SLDR Mini Driver TP Graphite Design DI-6s
SLDR 4h Matrix Black Tie 95s
Ping G25 4-PW
Ping Gorge 50, 54, 58

Ping Anser IWI

i would go with the 19 degree because with a hybrid you get a higher ball flight. Which would mean it could could come up shortof the green from 3 iron range

In my ozone bag:

905r 10.5 Graphite Design YS-6+ R
909 F2 15.5 Aldila VooDoo Fairway S
Benross VeloCT Resuce 21 Grafalloy ProLaunch Platinum R MX300s 4-PW KBS Tour S MP-T10 50/8 Chrome 54/11 and 60/7 Studio Select Newport II 35"

I bought a 16 and 19 hybrid last year. I have found there to be a gap between my 21 degree 3 iron and the 19 hybrid. The 19 degree was described as a 3 iron replacement, but it goes further with a more piercing flight. I am thinking of adding a 22 degree G5 to take the place of my 3 iron even though I like the 3 iron for low shots out of trouble. Good luck in finding the club that works best with your set! I would imagine it to be the 22 degree.

Driver: 4DX T 10.5 Evolver w/ Redboard
Hybrids: G5: 16*, 19*, 22*
Irons: Ping Eye 2 +no+ (5-PW)
Wedges: CG12: 52/10, 56/14, 60/10
Putter: C&L flowneckBall: Z-Star

i believe that a 19 deg replaces your 2 iron and a 22 replaces your 3 iron

Fairway Wood : F Speed 3 WoodHybrid : XLS 2i Irons : 3 - PW MP 29 Wedges : SW (56) + LW (60) MPT WedgesPutters : Itchy Bitchy Monza SpiderBall : NXT Tour

I have a 20* heavenwood and it goes farther than my 3 iron... but thats probably because I can hit better with the hybrid...
Driver: 3dx driver 10.5*
Irons: 3dx hybrid irons 5-P
Iron: X-14 3 iron
Wood: MT 4wood 16.5*
Wedge: Lob 60*Putter: White Hot 2-ballBag: Xtreme Sport Stand Bag

I don't know about you guys but I have a "3 hybrid" that I hit about 10-15 yards farther than my 3 iron

In my stand bag:
9* G10 driver
904F 15* 3 wood
3-PW MP-52 irons
Burner Rescue 19* HybridSpalding 60* lob wedge Tiffany 34"Leupold GX-I rangefinderTitleist Pro V1 ball

• 3 weeks later...
I've experimented with hybrids but have no real need for them.

I've only got, practically speaking, two fairway shots left in my bag after my 180 yard carry 5-iron shot

--a long fairway metal good for about 210 or so yards of carry

and either a high lofted metal or a hybrid to fill the gap between the long fairway metal and the 5-iron.

If I didn't already have all the short clubs that I'd need, I'd go with a hybrid and let it double as my scary-driving-hole driving iron.

Since I don't need another short club, I can go with the hi-loft metal, my preference, and the real driving iron both.

Overall, however, I find that if three types of clubs have the same loft, the fairway metal carries longest, the iron shortest, and the hybrid somewhere in the middle. Thus for me, a 20º iron is equivalent to a 22º hybrid or a 24º metal--roughly and thereabouts.

That's me. You'd have to try it for yourself.

Id get the 22 cause it would in essence be a 4and a half Iron

In My Hank Haney IJGA Bag
Driver: FT Tour 9.5 w/ Aldila Voodoo Stiff
3 Wood: i15 15.5 w/ avixcore red stiff
Hybrids: Rescue 09 19, 22 w/ fujikara fit on stiff
Irons: 4 & 5 MP-52, 6-PW MP-58 w/ KBS Tour Stiff Wedges: MP T-10 52*, 58* w/ KBS Tour StiifPutter: Fastback 1 34 inBall: : Pro...

Note: This thread is 5618 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!