IGNORED

Do you conciously try to add lag at impact?

Dub
Note: This thread is 5623 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I just try to make good contact, and take a divot after the ball.

In My Callaway Warbird Stand Bag

Driver: Burner 9.5#
Fairway Wood: Burner 15*
Hybrid: Sumo 18*Hybrid: 22*Irons: :AP1 4-PW Rifle 5.5Wedges: G12 52,56,60Putter: C 67

I've been feeling like my shots are being robbed of distance and trajectory...to some degree.

If you look at any of the really good players, you will see that they actually initiate the downswing by "pulling" the club down with their arms. They do NOT start the downswing by twisting the chest towards the target. That is a very important distinction to make.

Honestly, I hardly ever have a 'conscious' thought regardging my golf swing, especially for something as specific as adding lag. I try to make sure my swing is always the same and leave it at that. Then I'm just trying to decide where I want the ball to go, whether or not I'm gonna find it when it doesn't go where I wanted and whether or not the hot cart girl will be back around soon.
Driver: SQ DYMO STR8-Fit
4 Wood: SQ DYMO
2H (17*), 4H (23*) & 5H (26*): Fli-Hi CLK
Irons (5-6): MX-900; (7-PW): MP-60
Wedges (51/6*): MP-T Chrome; (56/13): MP-R ChromePutter: White Hot XG 2-Ball CSPreferred Ball: e5+/e7+/B330-RXGPS Unit: NEOPush Cart: 2.0

If you look at any of the really good players, you will see that they actually initiate the downswing by "pulling" the club down with their arms. They do NOT start the downswing by twisting the chest towards the target. That is a very important distinction to make.

WOW - there is a huge body of information out there that contradicts that point. Two that come quicly to mine are:

1) http://tinyurl.com/6y7zep from Ben Hogan 2) Dr. Ralph Mann did a huge amount of work in studying the golf swings of a large number of professional golfer, trying to find the commonalities among them. One of his key findings was the transition where, almost without exception (according to Dr. Mann) highly skilled golfers started the downswing with their bodies BEFORE their arms had completed their backswing. This work was documented in his book "Swing Like a Pro" and his Model Golf Swing. dave

In The Bag:
- Wishon 949MC 10.5* Driver
- Wishon 525 F/D 3W
- Wishon 515 949MC 5W
- Wishon 60* Cx Micro LW- Wishon 550M SW (55*)- Wishon 550M GW bent to 50* - Wishon 550C 6i - 9i (9i bent to 45*)- Wishon 321Li 3i/4i/5i hybrids- Odyssey Two Ball Putter

Yep, all natural swings and throws begin with the body moving before the arms -- I'm not sure why holding a golf club in one's hands can cause a person to try to start a swing with the arms first... I like Kim's comment about trying to drive his legs into the ground to start his down swing, but that idea would need a good swing to start with. Most golfers would probably benefit from throwing a bucket of balls three-quarters underhand like a baseball infielder throwing to first base. Throw a ball and think about what your lower body started doing before your arm began its throw -- it starts opening up. The other good thing is the throwing motion does not result in getting the right hip trapped too far around behind you. You coil against it rather than letting it collapse around -- it that makes sense. I had an old teacher that made me throw two large buckets of balls before he thought I understood what he meant, and I was a baseball player to boot. He kept telling me I was swinging the golf club differently than when throwing, and he was right. I finally got the feel down and gained a lot of distance. It is a good exercise.

RC

WOW - there is a huge body of information out there that contradicts that point. Two that come quicly to mine are:

You are right, and really good golfers develop a feel for doing that in the transition. If you concentrate on starting the downswing with the lower body, you should start with lower body, and the shoulders, arms and hands will follow the lead, and your hands will go down the "slot".

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

Note: This thread is 5623 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!