IGNORED

I hate my coach with a passion.

RedRun411
Note: This thread is 6619 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

No one here really knows what happened or how things came about. All we see is one side. One side told to us by a tempermental 14-year old. Sorry, but I cannot automatically take sides based on that. Even if everything you say is true (or more likely your perception of things) you still have some growing up to do.

That said, based on what I remember of high school coaches they do seem to have an over inflated ego and are no where near as important as they think they are. If that is the case then you either have to live with it or walk away. There is no changing them.

It's ridiculous, he won't offer a speck of advice to me or other "bad," players, but he will give advice to all the good players. I was thinking of getting lessons from someone. So at least

Well thank your lucky stars for small miracles. Unless your coach is a PGA pro or at the very least a great golfer (few are) be happy that he doesn't give you any swing advice. Because I live at a golf course (figuratively speaking of course) I see the golf coaches working with the kids a lot. The best coaches know one thing. Leave the swings alone!!! My father coached golf for 15 years and he always said I leave the swing stuff to the pros. He was big on teaching his kids course management and smart golf, and he is a great golfer. I see it all the time these high school coaches who can't break 90 doing their best David Ledbetter impression spewing forth all the articles they read from this months Golf Digest.

Listen some coaches are good and some are bad thats just life. Unfortunately you will be unable to change that fact. Your parents are correct to not let you quit. If you quit every time you come in contact with someone you disagree with you will get nowhere in life. Suck it up, work hard, and it will work itself out in the end. Work on your game with someone who is qualified to help you, improve and you will get your turn to shine.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

No one here really knows what happened or how things came about. All we see is one side. One side told to us by a tempermental 14-year old. Sorry, but I cannot automatically take sides based on that. Even if everything you say is true (or more likely your perception of things) you still have some growing up to do.

My thoughts exactly. Also, like a lot of guys have said, your dad is a teaching pro. You should be asking him for advice, not your coach. You don't want someone who's not certified messing with your swing.

Jeff Gladchun

In my bag:
Driver: TaylorMade R7 Quad, 9.5°, Aldila NV
3 Wood: Titleist 904F, 15°, YS-6+ StiffIrons: Titleist 695CB 3-PWWedges: Titleist Vokey 252.08, SM56.10 SM60.08Putter: Odyssey White Steel #5 Center-ShaftBall: TaylorMade TP Black / Titleist ProV1xHome Course: Oakland Hills...

• Administrator
I disagree. A coach is suppose to be there to help you with your swing, and help you hit the ball better. What's the point in having a coach if they're not suppose to do that? It doesn't make any sence.

Well, as people here have said (though not in these words), most high school coaches are more like babysitters and chauffers. My old high school coach couldn't beat anyone on the team... He knew a bit about golf and how to help, but couldn't play very well. So don't over-estimate the teaching abilities of your coach. Especially since your dad IS a PGA pro.

WELL. Today, I just got back. Well, he told me when I was chipping that "You can do better than that" and also "Go get some help with your chipping."

"You can do better than that" shouldn't be offensive to you. Take it as encouragement. If you honestly can't do better (and I'm assuming you didn't hole the chip here), then go find another sport.

The other quote may make sense if we had context...
"GO GET HELP?" What the hell?

Look, kiddo, your dad is a PGA Pro. I'm not gonna get into discussing all of the dynamics, but have you considered he might be intimidated by your dad's abilities? Perhaps he's afraid of offending your dad by offering to help you. After all, you have ready access to someone who probably knows a 100x as much about the golf swing as your coach.

So lighten up. I told you to stick up to the guy at first, but if you're not going to do that, take the advice of everyone else and suck it up. Stop letting what he tells you bother you. Venting is fine and all, but this is coming across more like whining...
How can I have fun when I'm ranked last?

Why does what he thinks of you matter so much to you? Answer that question for yourself. Seriously.

All he does is critize me, and then it makes me feel like shit. I try really hard, I honestly do. It pissees me off so bad. I want him to eat his words, and prove myself that I am good, but how can I do that when he refuses to work with me, and most people know I am better than some people on the team, but he never watches the bad people, only the good. He's such a.. UGHHHHH. Dammit.

Girl, it's been like three days. You probably won't change his mind all season. But take what you can learn from this season, apply it to your summer, and kick butt next golf season. Set high goals, and work with your dad to achieve them.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator
Why do I care what he thinks? Because I want to play in some ****ing matches, dammit. If I'm ranked last, I'll only play like 1 match. That's freaking ridiculous.

Why is it ridiculous? At some schools, nobody outside the top 5 or 6 would ever play in a match. When I coached last year, the top 5 were stable throughout the year. We opened the sixth slot to "challenge matches" and whoever won that earned the spot.

But some kids never got the chance to earn their letter. If you're just starting out, and if you're near the bottom (even if you're not dead last, but certainly outside the top six) I think playing in any matches is a bonus. I wouldn't necessarily play anyone but the top six in any match.
Ohhhh, is there anyway to delete this whole god damn post. It's making me sick of all of your "ideas, opinions."

Next time, don't ask a bunch of adults what they think, then, and solicit their ideas and opinions.

I'm not deleting this thread. My hope is that you may come back to it in a week or a month or two and realize how silly you've been. I know it's tough to believe now, because I felt the same way at your age, but you have some maturing to do...

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 6619 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!