IGNORED

College Golfers?

alexlax12
Note: This thread is 6574 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Being a senior I am looking forward to my last high school golf season. I only started playing for the school last year as a Junior but I managed to find myself as the 2nd seed and will be again this season (the #1 is a scratch player whos been playing on the team for 5 years, and has gone to states twice I believe). Anyway I've been looking into the golf programs at the schools I've gotten into, or waiting to hear from, and I was wondering for those of you out there who have played, or are playing college golf what is it like transitioning from High School??
Northeastern University Golf Team

In Play:
Driver - Titleist 905R 9.5*/Aldila NV 75sFairway Wood - Titleist 904f 14.5*Dynamic Gold S300Hybrid - Cleveland Halo 2Iron(19*)Irons - Titleist 735cm(stainless)/Dynamic Gold S300 (Bent +0.5 degrees upright, +1.0 degrees strong) Wedges - Callaway...

• Administrator

My story shouldn't discourage you...

I played golf three years on my team. I was 6 man, then 2, then 1. I went to states my senior year, was all-county, won the Junior championship for my county (Erie county, PA) that summer, etc.

I showed up to the golf meeting at my college. The coach said "we have two slots available because I lost two seniors this year." There were eight of us in the meeting...

I shot 74 in the tryout, easily the best of the eight people competing for the two spots. I was offered a spot on the team.

I turned him down. My 74 would have beaten all but one of the golfers from last year (and probably even that guy half the time).

I figured that I didn't want to play for a coach that cared so little about winning and being fair that he kept anyone who was on the team the previous year even if every incoming freshman was better (and about four of them shot in the 70s, which is better than half the team the year before).

I'd come off a team that won three straight county championships, something never done in 70 years in my league (and my team would win two more after I graduated), so I wasn't content to play for individual honors or "for the heck of it." If I was going to commit to missing as much school as it required, I wanted to at least have a competitive team.

This was a DIII school, so it's not like I went there to golf anyway... I'm sure it'd be different at a DI or DII school. But anyway, that's my story.

The one thing I have heard is that golf takes up a LOT of time in college. So if you're not a strong student capable of self-directed study and doing well on tests with a LOT less class time than most students, golf may not work for you in college.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Wow, I dont know what I would have done had I been in your shoes. For me, I think it would be the oposite. Ive always been a pretty good student. Ofcourse I have nothing to base this on, but I would imagine I would have to work harder for my golf "commitment" then I would for academics. Simply because I am much better academically than I am with my golf game.
Thanks for your response.

In Play:
Driver - Titleist 905R 9.5*/Aldila NV 75sFairway Wood - Titleist 904f 14.5*Dynamic Gold S300Hybrid - Cleveland Halo 2Iron(19*)Irons - Titleist 735cm(stainless)/Dynamic Gold S300 (Bent +0.5 degrees upright, +1.0 degrees strong) Wedges - Callaway...

I did not play golf in college I played Baseball but it is all relative. It depends on where you go, but for the most part it is a large step up to college athletics. Now in certain instances you will see programs at schools that are a joke and don't compete at all with their opponents. In a decent athletic department you will find all the athletes on the team were probably the best or close to the best players from their high schools. With few exceptions most of your competitive college athletes were high school studs. Very few just decent high school athletes make the step up to the college ranks. There are big differences to between the different levels of college athletics as well. Keep in mind the National Champion in NAIA last year average score in the tournament was 70.25. So just about 2 under for each of the 4 rounds. The Div III winner was 3 under for the tournament. At that level most of the competitive winning golfers are around scratch., but there are a lot of golfers that carry single digit handicaps. Now in Division I it’s a different story. The List of Division I Champions reads like a PGA Leader board with the likes of Phil Mickelson, Luke Donald and Tiger Woods. Division I programs are made up of the very best from High School Golf. With few exceptions, to play for a decent Division I program you would have to be at least a scratch golfer or likely even better. Winners of Div I tournaments are routinely 8 or more strokes under par for 4 rounds. So there, I don’t mean to discourage you or scare you but most people do not have an accurate picture of how college athletics work, or how good the athletes really are. If you want to play in college, work hard and practice a bunch.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

• Administrator
Wow, I dont know what I would have done had I been in your shoes. For me, I think it would be the oposite. Ive always been a pretty good student. Ofcourse I have nothing to base this on, but I would imagine I would have to work harder for my golf "commitment" then I would for academics. Simply because I am much better academically than I am with my golf game.

You've completely missed the point of my response if you think I struggled academically in the least.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

No no, thats not what I meant at all, maybe I phrased it wrong, sorry.

In Play:

I'll bite... but i'm not sure if my response will be helpful as my case is different than most since I never played golf in high school (nor was I playing golf in high school). I hear from people on my team that the transition is not difficult off the golf course as long as you manage your time effectively. This is pretty crucial because matches often are long distances away and on school days. On the course, however, freshmen have complained about having to play from the tips vs. the regular men's tee boxes, and the tournaments are longer. Overall, the play is a little more competitive from my understanding. Hope this helps...

Overall, the play is a little more competitive from my understanding

Somewhat of an understatement

I found a good article for you to read Overall college athletics are a lot of fun and a lot of work. I have nothing but good memories of my time as a college athlete. I got to be a part of a team, compete at a higher level, and someone else paid for my bachelor's degree. Can't beat that.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Alex, I'm in your same shoes. I'm focused on training hard this summer and if I make the team, great. If not I'm gonna try to manage or something. Just wanna be around the game.

Jeff Gladchun

In my bag:
Driver: TaylorMade R7 Quad, 9.5°, Aldila NV
3 Wood: Titleist 904F, 15°, YS-6+ StiffIrons: Titleist 695CB 3-PWWedges: Titleist Vokey 252.08, SM56.10 SM60.08Putter: Odyssey White Steel #5 Center-ShaftBall: TaylorMade TP Black / Titleist ProV1xHome Course: Oakland Hills...

Somewhat of an understatement

Thanks, I actually remember that article from Golfdigest, and it sounds like you had a great college experience. For me, it's just like Jeff put it...

Alex, I'm in your same shoes. I'm focused on training hard this summer and if I make the team, great. If not I'm gonna try to manage or something. Just wanna be around the game.

I'm going to work hard this season, both on the course, and in the gym, and try to make the team wherever I end up going. If not, theres club and inramural, but no matter what, I'll be playing golf!

In Play:

I'm going to work hard this season, both on the course, and in the gym, and try to make the team wherever I end up going. If not, theres club and inramural, but no matter what, I'll be playing golf!

My thoughts exactly. If we don't make our teams, we'll be a hell of a lot better at least.

Where are you thinking about going? I'm headed to Michigan State University

Jeff Gladchun

In my bag:
Driver: TaylorMade R7 Quad, 9.5°, Aldila NV
3 Wood: Titleist 904F, 15°, YS-6+ StiffIrons: Titleist 695CB 3-PWWedges: Titleist Vokey 252.08, SM56.10 SM60.08Putter: Odyssey White Steel #5 Center-ShaftBall: TaylorMade TP Black / Titleist ProV1xHome Course: Oakland Hills...

If you just started playing golf last year and really want to play college golf, go to a junior college. Doesn't cost as much, classes are easier than university allowing you more time on your golf game.

Seems like you need more experience more than anything, go to a local junior college, get good grades, play your but off your first year. Once you complete your first year start looking for universities that you want or believe you can play at than ask your coach to contact them about opening spots and get those coaches to come out and watch you play. With having good grades be alot easier for you to get into the university and shows them your more than a player.

Good luck
DBake
Titleist 909D3 10.5* Tour Green 89 Stiff
Titleist 906F2 15* v2 85 Stiff
Mizuno MP-30 2-PW S300
Mizuno MP-R 52* & 59*Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5Titleist Pro V1Leupold GX-1The Home Course (75.7/130)

I went to a small D-III school for four years. Let me try and sum up what my experiences were. First of all, it was a great experience and I'm glad I went through it and stuck with it for all four years. I made some great friends and still keep in contact with some of them.

On to the questions:
Was it a drag on my time? Yes... but ...I was fortunate (or unfortunate some people might think) to be able to live at home throughout college. I saved a ton of money and had the benefit of not worrying about roomates/food/laundry/etc. That being said, I still took all my classes in the morning and set aside as much time in the afternoon for practice and tournaments. It was a bitch to make up some tests and classes, but worth it. I still did other work through athletics (because our coach was the AD), serving on a student-athlete council...so it wasn't just golf. The thing is, at every interview I had when looking for a job, they all loved the fact I was not just sitting on my books and studying.

Was the competition hard? Not really, like Erik said, D-III wasn't really competitive. Everyone had to qualify for the team...including returining players. It only took high 70's/low 80's at the course we practiced at. I knew our team wasn't that great going in and I had to take a more individualistic approach to it. Our team got better as I went from Frosh to Senior, but we still were not a great team. I think we won only a couple of tournaments worth remembering.

What were the benefits? One, you can schedule your classes before anyone else. I got into every class I wanted at the time I wanted. My 'academic' friends weren't too happy with me. Two, you can get clubs dirt cheap. I bought a set of Titleist DCI's my sophomore year for $260....2-SW. Balls were basically free and we got to play some nice courses for free as well.

What sucked? Again, Erik is right...the school didn't care about winning that much in golf. They didn't recruit and didn't ever have a coach that was a 'golf' coach. First it was the AD, who was a wonderful man and unfortunately passed away while I was in school...but he was a soccer coach before he became AD. Then the job was given to the assistant basketball coach and remains there today. It was fun, but for a good part I felt like the coach was just there to take us from and to tournaments and set up practice. The old AD was better, but if I was serious about college golf...I'd want a coach that was dedicated to it.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. Again, I loved the time I had during college golf. I qualified for the ECAC championships my senior year and got to go to Delaware to play over three days in the championship. I won a couple of tournaments, had a hole-in-one during one of them and was the school's scholar-athelete of the year during my senior season. Things like that made it worth it to me. I still go back every year and talk to the athletic staff there that still remain there...

Good times.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

Note: This thread is 6574 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!