IGNORED

What is your #1 golf tip for golf improvement

Rounders
Note: This thread is 3922 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Not to beat a dead horse but - that's not true if you turn your shoulder down.

A swing thought in that regard that my pro gave me was to think ferris wheel as opposed to merry-go-round. Works for me.

Bill M

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by skywaterbanjo

My one tip - memorize this:

PERFECT.........................

this is all you need.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Originally Posted by skywaterbanjo

My one tip - memorize this:

This is exactly what I have been working on. It really smooths out my tempo.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Originally Posted by ace3g

For me it is keeping your lower body as quiet as possible.

To each his own I guess, if I do that I end up coming way OTT and cutting across the ball possibly a little fat too. Personally, I find I need a lot of lower body speed or I never get my weight forward enough.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

For me it is keeping your lower body as quiet as possible.

How can you rotate your hips on the correct plane if you keep your lower body "quiet"?

Colin P.

I said as quiet as possible not completely frozen, I have long skinny legs so I try to keep my lower body quiet to stay in balance and create a better base.  I have a home made swing, no lessons, so I try to keep everything simple.  I've had bad results when I rotate my hips a lot in the swing.  For me it helps that I have long arms so I can make a large arc with just rotating my upper body.

I do transfer the weight to my front foot (right handed) and clear my hips. I'm a rhythm/feel player (most sports) so I try to not think mechanically and keep things simple.

I said as quiet as possible not completely frozen, I have long skinny legs so I try to keep my lower body quiet to stay in balance and create a better base.  I have a home made swing, no lessons, so I try to keep everything simple.  I've had bad results when I rotate my hips a lot in the swing.  For me it helps that I have long arms so I can make a large arc with just rotating my upper body.

I do transfer the weight to my front foot (right handed) and clear my hips. I'm a rhythm/feel player (most sports) so I try to not think mechanically and keep things simple.

exactly verbatim as I would have said I play/swing

I put Adams and PING in my OGIO Recoil bag. I'm shooting for the low 90's by summer 13'

i wasn't suggesting you were wrong. A favorite saying around here is "feel isn't real", so in all likelihood we are doing the same or similar things just "feeling them differently". Most likely you need to feel a quiet lower body to counter a tendency to be over active down there whereas I need to feel a dramatic lower body action as my tendency is to stall my hips and hit from the outside and fat. As I said, "to each is own".

This is also why golf tips in general tend to suck, it's too hit or miss as not everyone has the same issues, tendencies or interpretations of feels.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

^

I agree each golfer has a unique trigger in their swing to focus on.

Since I started playing golf 5 years ago I've always practiced (when I have time) on hitting the ball straight or with a little draw.  Now while I've had some decent rounds in that 5 year span, shot 81 and 82 and probably 4-5 rounds in the mid 80s (all within the last 2 years) I never had a consistent 18 of hitting the ball solid.  A lot of those numbers were saved by my short game and putting.  Even in those rounds I still had my most annoying/consistent type of mishit; topping/low rollers with slice.

The last round I played, things weren't going that great (except for a comfortable/repeatable grip, which I discovered a week ago just messing around in the backyard with my PW.  Took it to the range and still making good contact hitting range balls).  On that note another golf tip, work with various grips until you find something you are comfortable with, I use a 10 finger grip; with the club a little more in the palms of my left hand, and more fingers in my right hand (right handed).  Back to the last round as I mentioned earlier I try to hit the ball straight or a draw, well the final 3 holes I decided try hitting with a fade.  The results were great.  My point is maybe use your mishit ball path to your adv.  Instead of fighting a slice and hitting a draw/straight shot I reworked my set up for a fade.

Now this could have been an anomaly on the final 3 holes.  My next round I'm going to hit a majority of my shots with a fade and see how my score is.

My best tip is you need to play a lot of golf.   Being a "Ranger Rick" is not enough.................. you need to get out there and play!  A lot..........

There is no short cut..............

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Originally Posted by BuckeyeNut

My best tip is you need to play a lot of golf.   Being a "Ranger Rick" is not enough.................. you need to get out there and play!  A lot..........

There is no short cut..............

Absolutely.

And LOL at "Ranger Rick"

• Upvote 1

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Found this picture today online:

The last picture caption states: right hand pressure applied by middle 2 fingers.  Now I've read varied descriptions on where to apply grip pressure and again it varies on comfort for each golfer.  Now after reading this, visualizing how to hold the club and finding a good comfort level I've had some good results so far.

Also with this I have moved to a overlapping grip, typically used a "baseball" grip.  I had tried a overlap grip before but it never felt comfortable, now after visualizing and feeling more pressure with my middle 2 fingers, I found a overlapping grip that feels comfortable.  It sort of looks like Spiderman shooting his web when I grip the club with my right hand.  Plus with a varied overlap grip my hands are more in sync now than with the baseball grip.

If you never tried gripping the club with grip pressure in the middle 2 fingers of your right hand (for right handers) give it a try.

Not saying it was the cause of all my bad shots but by using a baseball grip I might have been gripping the club too tightly (although it didn't really feel like that) at impact position.

Number one problem with golf is the grip. Number one problem is the grip size. Number one problem is the stance. Number one problem is the wrong shaft.  I have come to the conclusion that the number one problem with golf is that it has to many damn problems.

In my  bag:

Driver, Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 9.5 stiff

3, 5 woods: Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15,18 degrees Stiff

2 hybrid: Callaway Diable Edge Tour 18 degrees R (out when the 5 wood is in)

3,6 hybrids: Callaway Diablo Edge 21 S and 30 degrees R

4,5 hybrids: Callaway Razr X HL 24 and 27 degrees Stiff

7-AW irons: Callaway Razr HL graphite R shafts 

SW 54 Callaway X Series Jaws CC Slate Fujikura Graphite Stiff

Putter: Odessey White Ice 1 Blade Putter. 

Ball...looking for any ball that hates water, sand, long grass, and getting lost in the woods. 

I can't find any, so forced to use ones that seem to love all the above. 

Originally Posted by Derrick Parker

Number one problem with golf is the grip. Number one problem is the grip size. Number one problem is the stance. I have come to the conclusion that the number one problem with golf is that it has to many damn problems.

Yeah because when you make an alteration/adjustment to your swing, you have to than adjust the rest of your swing to compensate for that change; bad habits die old.

Note: This thread is 3922 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!