IGNORED

Congratulations to FUZZIE and Ben!!

PEZGolf
Note: This thread is 5585 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Fuzzie Zoeller and Ben Crenshaw not only won the Senior Skins Game, but they set a record in the process. Congratulations to both of them! Fuzzie has always been a fan favorite, in spite of the controversy over his comments (done in a joking manner) over the menu that Tiger would choose for the Masters Champiosn Dinner. He lost his endorsement contract with K-Mart because he was not "politically correct" even though Tiger forgave him!

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

I liked Zoeller's outdoor show a lot, which he lost immediately after the incident. I think, although Tiger did the right thing publicly, it didn't really help Zoeller that much. I remember still watching the tape of his semi-drunken comments, and Fuzzy was way out of line, so I don't view it as just a difference of opinion or political correctness. Frank and Dean could have gotten away with it with Sammy back in the day (even though the remarks would have been inappropriate then), and we all probably heard worse in satire on All in the Family or Sanford and Son, but times have changed and as much as I like Fuzzy, and appreciate his talent, I got just a little glimpse to a part of him I didn't want to see, and was surprised to see, and it's part of how I view him whenever his name comes to mind.

909D3 (Voodoo, stiff)
King Cobra Comp 5w (YS 5.1 Stiff)
AP1 4,5; AP2 6-P; Vokey 252 08, SM56 14, SM60 08 (Nippon N.S. Pro 950GH Regular)
Newport 2 Mid Slant

We went to a Champions Tour event in Sonoma and saw Fuzzy. At the senior events, you can get a lot closer to the players. My friend's son, then about six, forgot his hat, so I let him wear my black cowboy-ish one...more like a riverboat gambler hat. It swallowed his little head but he looked cool/cute wearing it. Fuzzy saw him after teeing off and came over and said "I like your hat!" The kid goes up to him and says "Is your name really Fuzzy?" Old Fuzzy got a kick out of that and the two had a quick walking chat. After that, when he saw Zoeller on TV he lit up! Fuzzy was gracious and kind to a little kid. A little minority kid, let me just add...

As for his comments...they were unfortunate. He's an all-around cut-up, and people who are so outgoing will sometimes let go something they wish they could pull back. As for what he said specifically, I would bet that if he said that to Tiger, 1 on 1, Tiger would have laughed his butt off and would have taken zero offense. Once you put that out to the public over the media, though, your ass is grass. Even the most politically correct people will make un-PC jokes when they are in their circle of friends. Fuzzy forgot where he was for a minute and he's paying for it. I can't get too judgemental about it, though...considering the whole 'people who live in glass houses thing.' I just think it was really unfortunate and wish he didn't say it. I am sure he really wishes he didn't say it - at least not to the cameras. Sorry to derail - good win for him and Ben.

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

Fuzzy... yep, a funny guy. An old friend and I were playing in a pro am, and he got Fuzzy as his pro partner. On the fourth hole, Fuzzy says something like, "are you thirsty?" And he proceeds off the tee box over to a house on the course, knocks on the door, a lady opens it and he asked her for a couple of beers. He walks back and hands one to my friend, and they play on.

RC

Fuzzy... yep, a funny guy. An old friend and I were playing in a pro am, and he got Fuzzy as his pro partner. On the fourth hole, Fuzzy says something like, "are you thirsty?" And he proceeds off the tee box over to a house on the course, knocks on the door, a lady opens it and he asked her for a couple of beers. He walks back and hands one to my friend, and they play on.

LOL! thats hilarious!

I liked Zoeller's outdoor show a lot, which he lost immediately after the incident. I think, although Tiger did the right thing publicly, it didn't really help Zoeller that much. I remember still watching the tape of his semi-drunken comments, and Fuzzy was way out of line, so I don't view it as just a difference of opinion or political correctness. Frank and Dean could have gotten away with it with Sammy back in the day (even though the remarks would have been inappropriate then), and we all probably heard worse in satire on All in the Family or Sanford and Son, but times have changed and as much as I like Fuzzy, and appreciate his talent, I got just a little glimpse to a part of him I didn't want to see, and was surprised to see, and it's part of how I view him whenever his name comes to mind.

I never saw the tape. All I could rely on were his quoted words in print, and while they were not appropriate, they did not seem to be any different from statements that I hear all the time around here. You are correct in comparing them to "All in the Family" or "Sanford and Son" and saying Fuzzy's words were no worse than those TV shows.

We went to a Champions Tour event in Sonoma and saw Fuzzy. At the senior events, you can get a lot closer to the players. My friend's son, then about six, forgot his hat, so I let him wear my black cowboy-ish one...more like a riverboat gambler hat. It swallowed his little head but he looked cool/cute wearing it. Fuzzy saw him after teeing off and came over and said "I like your hat!" The kid goes up to him and says "Is your name really Fuzzy?" Old Fuzzy got a kick out of that and the two had a quick walking chat. After that, when he saw Zoeller on TV he lit up! Fuzzy was gracious and kind to a little kid. A little minority kid, let me just add...

It was OK to derail for a moment. It is still interesting to discuss what happened to Fuzzy and whether he was unfairly punished. I am outgoing, tell lots of jokes, including ethnic ones, and occasionally have a "beverage". Perhaps because of those characteristics, I tend to be sympathetic to him. Getting back to golf, I believe Fuzzy's attitude toward golf can be summarized by his departure from the University of Houston:

The U of H cougars had been the National Champions for NCAA Div. 1 golf a few times, and were one of the top programs in the US. Fuz went there, played on the golf team, but never graduated. I remember reading a story that he was called over by Coach Dave Williams after a match and asked, "What the hell were you doing out there?" "My opponent hit a nice shot and I congratulated him, Coach." "We do NOT congratulate our opponents. We are trying to beat our opponents." "Look, Coach, you are a great coach. I can play this game, and believe that I can make the Tour. If I cannot congratulate an opponent for a good shot or putt, then it is time for me to go on Tour." And, as they say, the rest---is -----history.

Note: This thread is 5585 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!