IGNORED

Which type of swing do you prefer ?

mm6840
Note: This thread is 5489 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I basically use a 1 plane swing for driver and a 2 plane swing for other clubs. Chips and short pitches also tend to be more of a one plane swing. I attempted to change everything to a one plane swing last year in effort to simplify my swing but found it just didn't work well for me for my irons. I lost a lot of distance with irons and my ball striking my less consistent with one plane. However, with my driver I've used a one plane swing for several years and it has really helped me hit consistently long, high, straight drives that are almost always in play.
Driver: SQ DYMO STR8-Fit
4 Wood: SQ DYMO
2H (17*), 4H (23*) & 5H (26*): Fli-Hi CLK
Irons (5-6): MX-900; (7-PW): MP-60
Wedges (51/6*): MP-T Chrome; (56/13): MP-R ChromePutter: White Hot XG 2-Ball CSPreferred Ball: e5+/e7+/B330-RXGPS Unit: NEOPush Cart: 2.0

Interesting ! More common aproach is 2 plane for longer clubs(driver) and 1 plane for shorter (5 wood, irons,...). Tiger (and more tour pros) are examples of that. Don't know why dough
Regarding your shorter distance ... it could be you dont swing enough/hard "left" (if i understand concepts of 1 plane).

regards,

I guess I'm just plain dumb, but I see very little difference between the two. Plus in my opinion the back swing is not 100 percent important(i.e. Furyk). I think all people should focus on is contact. But I am curious on what the difference is so please fill me in somebody.

Driver: Nike Sumo 5000 8.5 stiff V2 shaft
Woods: IDrive 3 & 5 square (Callaway Clone)
Irons: Callaway X Forged 3-PW w/Rifle 5.5
Wedge: Titleist Vokey 2009 spin milled 52 degree Adams 60 degree
Putter: Maxfli BlackMax TwoBag: Nike Sasquatch Tour Stand BagBall: Whatever is in my bag that day

I guess I'm just plain dumb, but I see very little difference between the two. Plus in my opinion the back swing is not 100 percent important(i.e. Furyk). I think all people should focus on is contact. But I am curious on what the difference is so please fill me in somebody.

Hi,

With a short irons they're not big differences visible... HowEver they exists ... in methodology in every part of the swing. I did not use 1 plane for "Other" ...because it's more hybrid type of swing. Differences which i see/know are : - posture (upright for 2 plane ... less for "Other") - backswing (lifting of the hands VS pivoting+rotating ) - downswing (droping and/or pulling with left for 2 plane VS pivot and more pronounced forearm rotation) - release (crossover for 2 plane, slap/push for "Other") - ... I agree with you (REPETITIVE!) contact is the most important.Question (for me .. i'm learning) is ... which method is less depending on timing and lot of practice. regards,

I have never like the idea of swinging "left". I have always believed you swing the club to your target. That is pretty much all I care about in my swing. I don't care what I do in the backswing. I figure if your club is pointing at the target when the club is parallel to the ground in the follow through, then not much can go wrong. If it does, it is pretty easy to find and fix.

My swing thoughts:

- Negative thinking hurts more than negative swinging.
- I let my swing balance me.
- Full extension back and through to the target. - I swing under not around my body. - My club must not twist in my swing. - Keep a soft left knee

In my humble opinion, both are 2 plane swings.
The guy on top has a better swing, and he is on plane at the top.
The guy on the bottom is laid off but does a good job of saving himself (and that's what ultimately matters).

Having experimented with the one plane swing I would like to say that it is quite a different biomechanically, although I guess for some people it comes naturally.
Generally the posture is different and the swing club and arms are in very different positions at the top of the backswing and at the end of the swing when compared to the two plane swing.

The guy on top has a better swing, and he is on plane at the top.
The guy on the bottom is laid off but does a good job of saving himself (and that's what ultimately matters).

Having experimented with the one plane swing I would like to say that it is quite a different biomechanically, although I guess for some people it comes naturally.
Generally the posture is different and the swing club and arms are in very different positions at the top of the backswing and at the end of the swing when compared to the two plane swing.

Hi,

Yes ! And Like I said before "other" is hybrid... but it's more rotational swing. The trick is that the first(2 planer) is not 100% 2 plane either Modern swings differ from "school" models. But basic moves are there regards,

I like the one on the bottom best. That guy releases later. His body is more synchronized (ams stay with torso stay with hips).

I agree. The top swing looks okay, if you like late loading, disconnect between the lead arm and chest, and dropping the club on top of the ball.

I'm not a big fan of the lines and angles on the second guy, but I like the stress on the shaft much more than the guy at the top. I can't see either of these swings staying on one plane. They both have a plane shift, like everybody else.

Agreed, it is strange how many "one-planers" have planeshifting going on. Personally, I think I am a multiplaner, somewhere between an heptoplaner and an octoplaner.

RC

Yes.. planes ( i already explain other significant differences). Distances (average drives around 280) for both guys are more or less the same. Maybe first guy is a bit longer.

cheers,

Mine is somewhat of a one-plane stack and tilt. my finish looks a lot like the guy's in the third video's

In my stand bag:
909D3 with 10.5 degrees of loft and a 45 inch Fujikura Rombax 6Z08, x-flex
909F3 15* with a stock Diamana Blue
FT 18* with an Aldila NV
X-forged ('07), 3-PW with Project X 6.0 CG12, 53/11, and 58* with DSG Red X2, 33"All with Lamkin Crossline Full Cord. (except the putter of...

The first one shown seems more natural. By natural I mean the player seems more comfortable with the action. The second one appears as though he is attempting to copy a swing. I would have to see them play to see how will they carry it onto the course. A seems simpler, and I'm not a fan of that laid off position the second player is in at the top.

The first one shown seems more natural. By natural I mean the player seems more comfortable with the action. The second one appears as though he is attempting to copy a swing. I would have to see them play to see how will they carry it onto the course. A seems simpler, and I'm not a fan of that laid off position the second player is in at the top.

Yes, you're right (about copy

). I saw them and play with them ... they're good, very good. The second is a bit better (due to a lot of practice and almost every day sessions/check up with a coach). The first had big potential a few yeras ago... but now he has other things to "do" (not enough time to practice like players should and do). regards,

To me there is only one correct golf swing. The fact some people are more flexible, shorter or taller and swing flatter or steeper or shorter or longer does not change the basic elements of the swing which is to turn back and through and a swinging of the arms up and down. The more the body controls the arms in the backswing the more correct the position will be at the top. If the body has properly coiled in the backswing the downward swing of the arms transfers the weight to front foot and the body turns through to a complete finish. Short shots can be made with no wrist hinge but the full shot needs the hinging to develop any real clubhead speed.

What some folks refer to as a two plane swing is really, nothing more than arm travel upwards which if too excessive results in a "false backswing" and necessitates a lot of compensating moves to reroute the club from the inside down through the ball. The goal is to work on ones flexibilty so the arms are taken back only so far as the torso turns back and and the arms have folded such and wrists hinged such that you are in a good "waiter's position" at the top; left wrist flat and right hand under the club with no regripping.

Note: This thread is 5489 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!