IGNORED

My Lessons

wannabe
Note: This thread is 5453 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My pro has pretty much determined the cause of my push is due to poor releasing of the club leading to a chicken-wing, as well as rushing the downswing. He gave me a drill which fixed both these problems almost instantly -- I was straight, draw, or draw-hook almost every time with this drill -- like a miracle or something.

I think Hank was using the same drill with Charles last week on the show. LOL...I am in no means saying your swing is as bad as his, but it does show that it works for a number of people. Have you tried swinging like that on the golf course or just the range? Might be something you could try bringing to the golf course and slowly eliminate the initial hitch.

|Callaway I-MIX FT-9  - Driver | Callaway Diablo Octane - 3 Wood | Callaway Diablo Edge Tour [3H & 4H] - Hybrids | Callaway X-forged 2009 - Irons | Callaway JAWS [52, 56, 60] - Wedges | SC Studio Style Newport 2 / Laguna 1.5 / Kombi-S - Putter |

• Administrator
I think Hank was using the same drill with Charles last week on the show.

I think Charles was lifting the club up in front of him (perpendicular to the target line, not parallel).

Similar idea, different application(s).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

oh yeah, I remember that drill Charles & Hank were doing. Since this is the only time in my life I'll ever likely get compared to him, I'll take that one in stride. :)

Funny, the week prior, my pro had me turn my shoulders at address without cocking my wrists, then cock them, which is also very similar. When I mentioned this to my pro, he told me that yeah, they were similar, but still quite different. From the differing results I've seen, I'd have to agree with him.

And yeah iacas, I think you're technically correct. Chuck's drill was a little different than mine.

Ping G2 Driver; Titleist 906F2 5W; TM Rescue Mid 3H; Adams Idea Pro 4H; Titleist DTR 3-SW; Callaway Bobby Jones Putter; Ping Hoofer lite

So after 4 lessons, things are really beginning to come together for me on the range, finally.

I was able to use the drill above along with a video on the thread on this forum about pronation to deliver some great shots. I'm starting to hit a lot of shots straight or drawing. I'm finally feeling what it's like to release properly! I knew I had this game in me -- just needed to dig it out, pun intended.

Signed up for 4 more lessons. Azaleas in bloom.

Ping G2 Driver; Titleist 906F2 5W; TM Rescue Mid 3H; Adams Idea Pro 4H; Titleist DTR 3-SW; Callaway Bobby Jones Putter; Ping Hoofer lite

So after 4 lessons, things are really beginning to come together for me on the range, finally.

Good to hear that everything is coming together. The hardest thing for you will be the ability to take your swing to the golf course. I hope your next 4 lessons will be as good as the first.

|Callaway I-MIX FT-9  - Driver | Callaway Diablo Octane - 3 Wood | Callaway Diablo Edge Tour [3H & 4H] - Hybrids | Callaway X-forged 2009 - Irons | Callaway JAWS [52, 56, 60] - Wedges | SC Studio Style Newport 2 / Laguna 1.5 / Kombi-S - Putter |

The first 15 balls I hit warming up with wedge & 7 iron were so awesome compared to my normal warmup routine I was actually giddy.

My pro came over, watched a few, and told me the mechanics were now all there and it was time to put away the 7-iron and pull out the driver --!!!

This lesson was a game changer. My confidence is increasing, and my pro had me trying some different things to try and get me more distance. Homework is no longer 7-iron based -- I'm now inculcating what I've put together and trying to add clubhead speed and distance into the equation, and getting used to implementing my newly found mechanics with the big club.

Went back to range the next day and had a field day whacking the long ball. Currently averaging 180-200 carry, a couple were probably 220 carry, with an unfitted TM 300 series lite shaft, from 10+ years ago.

Starting to think about what it's gonna be like to approach that first tee box with my new swing....:)

Also, way in the back of my mind, there are dreams of upgraded sticks, esp. driver, fairway/hybrids (have none right now), and add'l wedge (only have SW now).

I think Charles was lifting the club up in front of him (perpendicular to the target line, not parallel).

I watched a re-run of the charles show the other night and Hank actually has him lifting the club to a 2 o'clock position and turning his body. I guess this puts the club in a flatter position, as long as he keeps the shaft tilted to the 2 clock position and just turns his upper body.

I have only seen this drill done by hinging the wrist and turning the body...neat idea HANK!!

The hardest thing for you will be the ability to take your swing to the golf course.

I know. There's a par 3 executive course and a short course I'm comfortable with nearby -- think I'll try there first - may try to take a weekday off and go as a single just to see how I do and can focus. I'm not ready for that yet, though, still trying to put all the pieces together consistently on the range.

Funny that CB is intermingled in this thread -- I watched last night, and just plain felt sorry for the guy and his golf game -- for a split second. The difference between his time at the range and then reverting back to the old habits on the course is something I do not want to emulate, nor would I wish on anyone.

The difference between his time at the range and then reverting back to the old habits on the course is something I do not want to emulate, nor would I wish on anyone.

Agreed. You feel so bad for the guy when one minute he's ripping drivers 300 yds and when he gets to the course he can barely hit it. I don't wish that on anyone who is trying to make some changes.

I'm continuing my time at the range since my 5th lesson a couple of weeks ago. Had a chance to play at a local course today, but after my range time yesterday, decided against it. I'm still putting together all my different new mechanics from my lessons, and there's a grocery list of them for me to keep track of, and they're by no means automatic. When I get them all correct, which varies in consistency by club (shorter irons best @60+% acceptable, longer irons less so @30% acceptable, driver lesser so @20%acceptable), it's a thing of beauty for me to behold. Just don't have the confidence I want to have yet, and feel like another disastrous round would just set me back.

So far, I'm having to inculcate newly established:
1. grip (doing well here)
2. spine angle (still coming out of it during downswing, esp. for longer irons & driver)
3. timing (still have the tendency to rush the downswing & leave the ball right)
4. swing plane (much shallower now, much more powerful and stable, and pretty consistent, still working on arms & hands staying more connected to each other and to my body throughout the swing a la Hogan)
5. ball position (keeping wedges center, irons a ball or two off the instep, driver similar to forward)
6. weight shift (eliminate sway, eyes stay behind the ball, still have the occasional slipup with this)
7. tension (staying stable but tension free -- still a little tricky)
8. release/pronation (newest feeling, getting better)
9. clubhead speed (ensuring a good full a shoulder turn while keeping timing & everything else together and balanced)

Wow! After listing all that, no wonder I'm not feeling ready for the golf course yet. I've put a slew of new things into my swing, and it's actually amazing that I've come so far so quickly. Good on me!

Looks like you have your work cut out for ya. That's a lot of things to be working on. Sounds like you have a bit of a plan and hopefully it all works out.

Pro & Head Pro teamed up on me again today. Video showed me hitting all the right positions in swing plane, shoulder turn, lag, but still not athletic/powerful enough in downswing.

Couldn't believe it after this thread -- but get this -- the head pro even said I had a little Charles Barkley in me, though it was 'opposite'! I'm guessing it's because of the show, but my mind went straight to this forum thread!! LOL I just let it pass without too much comment.

The bottom line of my 6th lesson was "it's up to you now to put it all together". I agree. I know everything I need to know, just gotta groove it.

As far as the athleticism/power in my swing, I know starting the downswing has always been a bit of a mystery to me, so I'm gonna focus on that & working toward a powerful yet balanced finish, and the pro gave me a pre-set drill to give me something to to work toward just prior to impact & at follow-through.

This is where the real work begins.

Oh, and btw, my mishits/shanks are becoming less and less of an issue now!! It's more a matter of distance, trajectory, and slight direction issues now. Very cool place to be.

Funny how once you're past a certain point in this game, you always immediately begin focusing on the next level of achievement. I now am critical of my slightly fat or thin shots, wherease before, I would've been ecstatic.

• 2 weeks later...
so, I haven't been to the range in over a week, show up today, and it was great to see that the lessons and practice have really begun to pay dividends. I actually had some nice shots with a long iron today, something I used to never be able to do.

Not every shot was perfect, and since I'm still tinkering I have some real flubs, but all in all, it's great to see that I've gotten my push much more under control, my contact is much better, and I'm beginning to get the feel for what putting some power into my swing is like. I saw my pro and he and I agreed it's time for me to just grind it out, putting everything together & building consistency & confidence, and when I start to get stuck, it's time for another lesson to see what's happening.

I'm so, so glad I took these lessons. Getting real close to wanting to try things out at the course again.

It's encouraging to read your progress. I enjoy this game, but man I freakin' struggle with it! I've been playing for a couple of years and have taken probably 10 lessons or so, but I still push the ball to the right so much that it's bascially useless to try and play. Or at least I did. I just played last weekend for the first time this year and played better than I ever have in terms of ball striking. I didn't push the ball much, and hit some very nice shots and drives. I actually bogey'ed the first four holes, which for me is an AMAZING accomplishment.

Keep up the good work, and keep posting here with your updates to keep guys like me motivated! :D

thanks for the encouragement, dkbmusic.
i enjoy logging my progress here & seeing what others have to say.

Posting here is also keeping me motivated, as is the actual progress I'm seeing at the range. I've become quite the range rat -- I know all the workers by first name, they know me, they give me inside scoop on the place, even got a free bucket of balls the other day when I ran out of cash! The pro who teaches me sees me hitting balls, and sometimes just comes over without a scheduled lesson & watches me, gives me a tip or two. Really awesome. Just as, and in some ways more fun, than actually playing a round.

went to the range today and it's so funny how what just a few months have done to my swing & my self-critique. I always have the same routine on the range -- which after today I think I've realized I need to probably adjust. Sand wedge, short iron (6,7,8), long iron (3,4,5), driver. If I'm not satisfied with how I'm hitting the club I'm using, I keep hitting balls with it until I am. Today I was pure-ing my wedge and short iron (6), and getting some decent distance for me. My long iron and driver not so much. Funny how until I'm able to get probably 70+% good distance, direction, & trajectory from every club in the bag, I'm probably gonna be unsatisfied. At first, I just wanted to get rid of my stinking push/slice! :D

I've often heard people say that you should use the same swing with every club, but so far I haven't been able to smoothly make that transition to the longer clubs. Not sure exactly what it is yet. I know I have to adjust ball position and stance, but given all the other variables in my new swing, seems like adding those plus the psychological issue of looking for that longer ball flight (causing me to swing harder) -- I think it's still just a tad too much to handle. I am antsy, though, especially when I see good results in my short irons & wedges.

• 3 weeks later...
Five things to report:

1. Since beginning this series of lessons a few months ago & continuing to visit my "home range", I'm now considered a regular, on a first name basis with most of the staff, and that's just cool. Today they had a new mat they were demo-ing, and when I went to get my medium bucket of balls, the clerk told me about it and wanted to be sure I got a little time on it & give them feedback on it. Me? My little ole opinion? On a golf topic? How awesome is that? BTW, the mat was killer nice.

2. My swing and related confidence is really getting somewhere. My full wedge & shorter irons are actually becoming something I can trust -- so much more than I used to. The push is all but gone. Now it's about mostly about fat/thin (combination of full shoulder turn, maintaining spine angle, and getting back to that forward side). I'm much more controlled and comfortable with the different things I learned.

3. Today I spent a lot of time with the driver, and my teaching pro sauntered by to watch me hit a few. I told him a couple of problems I was noticing, he gave me a couple of tips with setup & a great downswing thought (think about getting that back knee to touch the front one), & SMACK! There went a beautiful draw that I didn't even see.

4. Today and the last few times at the range I got a feeling I've never had there before -- I was one of the 'good' players! How cool to be not the one splaying balls all over the driving range, not knowing how to fix anything. I never knew this would be a milestone for me, but it definitely is!

Lastly, my brother joined a private club, so now I have a great avenue to get some regular PT! I think I"m prolly (sic) a couple of weeks from joining him for a round to see how my new skillz translate to the course.

• 2 weeks later...
wow my range time is finally starting to get me excited to go play, enough so that I'm heading out for my 2nd round of the year this Sunday. In case you haven't been keeping up, my first round back in March was a dismal 136. Yeah, I know.

The cool thing about the range these days is that I haven't had a lesson in several weeks, yet my performance on the range is continuing to improve, as in a higher percentage of shots doing the right thing, throughout the bag. It's obvious that I've ingrained what I now know are great foundational techniques that I just have to continue to practice.

A few months ago I could only push/slice the ball. Now my normal shot is straight to drawing. Crazy. Crazy! I remember in the first month or so of my lessons & practice, I thought I might never be able to get the kind of swing & shot quality that I wanted to have. Now I see that not only is it possible, but I've actually done it, repetitively!

For a guy who have never excelled in sports, this is huge.

grass tees on the range today -- first time in a month or more off of the mats and onto the grass. I was delighted to see that there were no hidden faults in my swing due to being on the mats for several weeks in a row. It's a big confidence boost for sure to be able to hold one's own on the grass tees without feeling like you're gonna endanger the guys around you.

It's time to hit the course.

Note: This thread is 5453 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!