IGNORED

The Haney Project: Can Haney Fix Barkley’s Swing?

Uber$winG
Note: This thread is 5331 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Can Haney Fix Barkley’s Swing?

• YES
    • NO
    • MAYBE
    • WHO CARES?

I agree the production quality has been poor. Too many unnecessary gimmicks like quick flashes from one image to another. Trying to do too much, like action movies where it's mandated something is blowing up in all quadrants of the screen. I wish the producers would relax and provide a few basic substantive themes in the limited half hour they have.

The problem is this show is not aimed exclusively at a golf audience. Therefore in some ways it's an insult to pure golf fans. Golf Channel advertised this program heavily, trying to get crossover. On the night of the first episode I saw numerous commercials hyping it on MSNBC. That's why they aren't going to devote too much time to technical stuff like clubfitting.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great post above me.

Really, I'm sad its a bit rushed because I really enjoy it. The faster the pace, the sooner it'll all be over.... but that I can live with.

The only thing about the show I absolutely to do not like or understand are those random really weird 3-d scenes. ive seen at least two. one of barkley falling asleep as the psyologist is talking and another of haney and barkley practicing... Thats the only issue I take with the show.

Driver: Tour Burner 9.5° Stock Stiff
Wood: Tour Burner TS 13° Stock Stiff
Hybrid: Tour Burner T2 18° Stock Stiff
Irons: Tour Preferred 3-PW Rifle Project X 6.0
Wedges: 54.10|58.08 Z TP Rifle Spinner 5.5 Putter: VP Mills VP2 Ball: TP/Red.LDP Bag: Warbird Hot Stand Bag 2.0Started playing...

I agree the production quality has been poor. Too many unnecessary gimmicks like quick flashes from one image to another. Trying to do too much, like action movies where it's mandated something is blowing up in all quadrants of the screen. I wish the producers would relax and provide a few basic substantive themes in the limited half hour they have.

There does seem to be too many "entertainment" parts. But hey that's what it is.

If they want something that might crossover to a non-golf audience, I have an idea. Create a show called "Golf Virgins". Get a dozen or so adults that have never played golf (they can be b-list celebs or regular people) and teach them to play. At the end have them play in a tournament for a prize (a car, money, whatever.) If they used celebs it would sort of be a golf version of "Dancing With The Stars". The point is the avg non-golfer might relate to this. It also might show some non-golfers it isn't as hard as people make it out to be.

Instight XTD A30S Driver 10.5° ($69 new ebay)
Instight XTD A3OS Fairway Wood 15° ($45 new ebay)
Fybrid 19.5° ($35 new ebay)
Ci7 4-GW ($175 new Rock Bottom Golf via ebay)
53° & 58° 8620 DD wedges ($75 each new PGA Superstore) C2-DF ($35 new Rock Bottom Golf) Riley TT stand bag ($7 n...

There does seem to be too many "entertainment" parts. But hey that's what it is.

make a gameshow out of legit 20+ hcps... have leadbetter/haney/harmon coach 3 ppl for a week... then let them battle it out for a prize... or have skins consisting of prizes... appliances... cars... etc etc... hahaha

RUSS's avg drive - 230yrds and climbing

I thought this week's show was well done. Well, the last 10 minutes were very good, the best since the opening episode. From the launch monitor forth they kept it simple with very human experiences and emotions.

Earlier I thought one aspect stood out. Notice how reserved Barkley is around Dr. J. There seemed to be a legend/pecking order/respect situation kicking in. Barkley was anything but his over the top self.

MJ was a contemporary of Charles so the two of them battled and ribbed each other on equal ground, other than titles. But Charles got drafted by Philly when Dr. J had already been an established legend for more than a decade. It hinted of some big brother/little brother characteristics in this episode, like Dr. J kidding with Charles while rubbing the back of his head.

I started watching the show the other day. It looked like it was working but when Barkley got onto a course he regressed. I think he can do eventually fix the swing but who knows how long it will take.

In my Staff bag:
Bazooka HP-5 Driver 460cc
Bazooka OS HP-5 3/5 Woods
Jmax QL Irons 5-PW (Graphite Stiff Shafts)
X-tour Gap Wedge 52* X-tour Sand Wedge 56* Lob Wedge 60* Rossa Daytona 1 Putter

First off I agree with some that this show is entertainment first and educational a distant second. If this show does well, all the better, because it will make Golf Channel some money to make other shows with. I doubt Haney will ever go to real proper swing mechanics with Barkley. I think if he can fix Charles' dip and hitch, the main goal has been achieved. If Charles can swing the club on the course like he did in the studio, that would be more than enough for this show's purpose.

Also, When Dr J. was talking, I looked at his hands and they are HUGE. I wonder what kind of grip the guy has to use to be able to grip a club properly.

Also, When Dr J. was talking, I looked at his hands and they are HUGE. I wonder what kind of grip the guy has to use to be able to grip a club properly.

Dude, I met Dr. J back in the late 70's and his hands are unbelievably huge.

• Administrator
It seems to me that it was a mistake to go to the course just yet.

On the course, Charles is right to try to hit the ball towards the target. That's what you do on the golf course.

Hank kept saying "your goal is to keep your head from moving, not to hit it at the target." If that was the goal, either Charles screwed up by forgetting that and trying to play actual golf or Hank screwed up by not properly preparing Charles to "practice on a golf course."

They were on a golf course the episode prior, but they weren't playing golf - they were just hitting balls from various places. Charles hit a bunch of 8-irons from the same spot onto the same green... so he knew that was "practice" and not "golf."

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 4 weeks later...
Yea. AK was in this one. The diss about the siren actually made Charles laugh and he had no comeback. lol

Whats in the bag:

Driver: Burner 10.5 Fujikura Stiff
3 wood: Founders NGX 16 Graphite
5 wood: Founders NGX 19 GraphitePW - 3H: Founders NGXLW: X Forged 62Putter: 2Ball SRTBall: Whatever i can find.

• Administrator
I believe it's a mental block. Trying to fix it with mechanics and drills will work fine in practice, but under pressure, it will come back.

I disagree. Plus when playing against Anthony Kim ("virtually" playing him anyway - in real life) he had bogeys and pars. +1 over four holes, I think.

He hitches because his body realizes he's in a horrible position and if he swing he'd hit four feet behind the ball.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

That's a good point, if our body knows we are going to mess up if we do something, than it's almost a survival mechanism to make sure we avoid it.

So, his swing is fixed in practice and he does OK in low pressure situations. What will happen when he's faced with competition? It's pressure enough when you play with your buddies, but what about when the TV cameras are on you in tournaments?

If he is able to not think about it then I believe his swing will be OK. But it started going bad for a reason and it just kept reinforcing itself and if that part of his mental game is not corrected than he could be back where he started.

That being said, I hope this works for him, I'd be happy to see Charles do well in the Tahoe Celebrity golf tournament in Lake Tahoe this July.

make a gameshow out of legit 20+ hcps... have leadbetter/haney/harmon coach 3 ppl for a week... then let them battle it out for a prize... or have skins consisting of prizes... appliances... cars... etc etc... hahaha

that is a great idea, but it just BEGS for sandbaggers

driver- R580XD 9.5*
3 wood- m/speed
hybrid- cft ti 4h
irons- fp 4-gap
wedges- 54* and RAC satin 56* 12 bounceputter- 1/2 Craz-Eballs- DT Carry, e5, anything found thats is good shapeshoes-adidashome course - nothing - uh oh. perhaps pleasant view againschool...

Note: This thread is 5331 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!