IGNORED

Beckham & MLS

juanrjackson
Note: This thread is 5544 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Did David Beckham coming to America & playing in the MLS really create new soccer fans?

I read an article the other day. It said that Beckham is more popular in America for his celebrity status than for his play or his team's play on the field. LA's road games still are above avg in attendance.....but the other league games have not seen an attendance boost.

So do you think he helped put MLS on the map? Or will the league & soccer always be a marginal sport in America?

In my clicgear.gif 2.0 Push Cart and callaway.gifgolf bag are - 

Z-Star driver 10.5  Mashie 3 and 7 metals  Mashie 4 hyrbird  Z-Star 4-PW Irons  cleveland.gifCG Black 48, 52, 56 degree wedges  GoLo putter  upro mx+ gps

Did David Beckham coming to America & playing in the MLS really create new soccer fans?

I get his name wrong as often as not when referencing him. I know him as the guy who married a spice girl, though. Beckham coming here didn't do anything for me, soccer-wise, except teach me that soccer has positions. I seriously thought it was "goalie" and "not goalie" before I found out he's a striker(?).

I read an article the other day. It said that Beckham is more popular in America for his celebrity status than for his play or his team's play on the field. LA's road games still are above avg in attendance.....but the other league games have not seen an attendance boost.

I think he was a boost for those who already liked soccer, as I understand he's quite a big star. But I doubt he's Tiger Woods or John Daly, bringing in people who otherwise wouldn't have watched the sport. I think people might now be aware that there is major league soccer, but anyone interested in watching or attending probably already knew.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think he was a boost for those who already liked soccer, as I understand he's quite a big star. But I doubt he's Tiger Woods or John Daly, bringing in people who otherwise wouldn't have watched the sport. I think people might now be aware that there is major league soccer, but anyone interested in watching or attending probably already knew.

+1

I just don't think soccer will ever take over big in America. MAYBE, maybe as generations of young kids playing in youth leagues grow up and pass the game on to the next generations then soccer will filter it's way more into the mainstream. Regardless of wheather you love, hate or are indifferent about soccer in the U.S. it is undeniable that the game has not yet broken through to the level of the NFL, MLB, NBA or NHL. Many would call that a "myopic" view of the world and sports...I think. I know they wore that word out in another thread. I am just stating the truth. As for why it has never come through, that can be better explained by someone that is more willing to dedicate their time talking about soccer. This is honestly the most I've ever talked about soccer in my life.

I also agree that he made soccer bigger to the already soccer fans. I think it will be awhile before soccer is a mainstream sport in the United States along with NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL.

In my Xtreme Sport bag
'09 Burner 9.5*
F50 15* 3 Wood
Burner 18* 5 Wood
MX-19 4-GW SV Tour 54.12 & 58.08 White Hot 2-Ball SRT

Shindig....I think he did bring in a few extra women fans. Beckham seems to have more women fans than men. But MLS still barely gets any play on ESPN....even the local news in DC barely mentions DC United.

Stacy_E: I agree with you that Americans are more into "myopic" sports. The most popular American sports (NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL & NASCAR) are basically non-existent in the rest of the world.

Here are th reasons I think soccer will never be popular in America:

1) The best athletes play the more popular sports.....because that is where the $$$ & fans are. You have to be a MLS fan to be able to name one player.

2) America normally get crushed in the World Cup.....Americans don't like or follow sports that we do not dominate.....look how the popularity of tennis goes up & down depending on if there are any top Americans.

Z-Star driver 10.5  Mashie 3 and 7 metals  Mashie 4 hyrbird  Z-Star 4-PW Irons  cleveland.gifCG Black 48, 52, 56 degree wedges  GoLo putter  upro mx+ gps

Has soccer ever been popular in the US? I've watched it like twice ever. Once was the FIFA World Cup thing (with the headbut!) and the other was when Mia Hamm was still playing. It's going to take a lot more than Beckham to make soccer big. They need another Pele or someone like Tiger, Ruth, MJ, Ali, etc.
I don't see this happening with soccer. Most players go oversees to play because they usually get paid more (I think). Didn't Freddie Adu go somewhere? Plus, many teams cover living expenses and transportation.

Soccer is the equivalent to Boxing right now. No one knows anyone anymore. Who's the heavyweight champion of the world? (Better question: how many heavyweight champions are there?) I honestly cannot name a US soccer player other than Beckham.

In my Ogio Ozone Bag:
TM Superquad 9.5* UST Proforce 77g Stiff
15* Sonartec SS-2.5 (Pershing stiff)
19* TM Burner (stock stiff)
4-U - PING i10 White dot, +1.25 inches, ZZ65 stiff shafts55*/11* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)60*/12* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)Ping i10 1/2 MoonTitleist ProV1

I'm Irish and have been following football/soccer for ever.

Beckham came here because his spice girl wife wanted to live in LA and he was offered a sweet deal to come. He wants to play in next years World Cup in South Africa and I think he was basically told by the English national team's head coach that if he wants to achieve this he needs to play in a better league than MLS, hence the initial move to Milan. He's done pretty well since he been in Italy and is looking to stay, for football reasons.

Anyways after the initial flurry of attention I don't think his presence has done a whole lot for the game here apart from sell some merchandise.

I personally think that soccer is too technical a game to catch on in the US. When I watch sport here I feel like people are more interested in stats than the actual play. There's very little stats in soccer, certainly not enough to keep you lot happy!!

What's in the bag
Big sticks Ping Rapture V2 9° Fusion FT-3 3-Wood, 3,4 Hybrid

Irons Ping I10 5-GW
Wedges Cleveland RTX 54° Spin Milled Vokey 60°Putter Redwood Anser Titleist NXT Tour 1500 rangefinder

I agree he did not come hear because he wanted to. I dont see why LA is fighthing this so hard. He becomes a free agen in a year, do thy realy think there going to make that much money off of him in one year? let him stay at AC and take the money. Lets face it although this is the grates game in the world, even bring big name people hear wont make this country like football. We do not have the attention spand to watch someting for 45 min with out a brake we need every 90sec to take a brake.

Idea Irons tight lies
R5 duel
PW
Putter I-series
bag Home Course Pondaros RIP

It pains me to see one of my favorite players play the role of politician. So I will just move on.

As for soccer in the USA, not likely for another 20 years before it gets popular. Look at all the countries that have soccer as their #1 sport. That is because it has been in existence of their culture for centuries now. There are clubs that are over 70-100 years old.

It will be a while, but at least there are still enough fans to keep the MLS going - even expanding. In addition to that, it is becoming a breeding ground for top USA players (Dempsey *my favorite player, Beasley, Donovan, Klejstan, etc) and also becoming a good 'retirement' venue for the bigger name players such as Mr. Beckham himself.
What's in R7 Bag:

R5 Dual 9.5 degree
3DX Pro 4-PW irons
3FT Hybrid 54 & 56 wedges*Gigagolf Trufeel putterMy blog:http://matt10-livethedream.blogspot.com/

+1 It's the attention span issue for sure. Just about everyone in America grows up watching TV. American TV (except for a few cable channels) is primarily a source of advertising (every 8 minutes there are two minutes of commercials) In Europe, you have to pay for a license in addition to the TV, so the lower classes don't necessarily have television. The two BBC channels, ITV, and ATV can show two hours uninterrupted programming on mundane topics. The television is the worlds most common baby sitter and our minds are imprinted at an early age by stimuli.

Basically, Americans are programmed to pay attention for 8 minute intervals.
Europeans are programmed to pay attention for two hours.
Americans are programmed to buy everything (especially things they don't need)
Europeans are programmed to be happy with what they have.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

I personally think that soccer is too technical a game to catch on in the US. When I watch sport here I feel like people are more interested in stats than the actual play. There's very little stats in soccer, certainly not enough to keep you lot happy!!

I heard that before while living in England...."that Americans seem to love seeing stats" I never thought about that until a few people said it. But while watching soccer/football there are very little stats shown.

I think another important thing that hurts MLS is it does not have it's own "season" in America. They overlap into the NFL/NBA/MLB season. & most people can only dedicate themselves to one team at a time lol Even golf viewers goes down once the NFL/college football season kicks up in Aug/Sep.

Note: This thread is 5544 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!