IGNORED

How a swing coming over the top looks like

Zeph
Note: This thread is 5508 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ok, minor setback today, but I had somoe good shots and I think the key is less arms and more body movement in the backswing. Makes sense too. I just turn the arms, when I starting the downswing, the body is moving and pulling the arms which is thrown outside. I also had some experiences where I came somewhat from the inside on the ball, but pulled it heavily to the left. Which also makes sense, when the arms are so far back and the body keeps pulling, I have no chance of finding the proper plane. I will also ease up alot, I've been very tense and sort of strickt. I need more rhythm and a smoother swing. Better body movement and just tossing the club, not forcing it as much will probably help loosen up.

Also explains why my hands are behind my body at impact, they never have a chance to catch up.

I'm staying positive.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think that you're onto it now. My backswing used to look like yours and I'm still working on changing it, but here's what I concentrate on:
1) The "One Piece Takeaway". Every single consistent ball striker I've ever seen (professional or not) has it, and IMO it's the only way to achieve confidence that you've got the right geometry on the way back. The hands should stay out in front of your chest much more on the way back (rather than moving further and further behind you - check your video), maintaining a stable arm/chest triangle as you make the shoulder turn. Like someone else mentioned, you are too handsy/wristy going back, right from the start really but especially after the shaft reaches the ground-parallel position. The clubhead gets increasingly low and behind your back until at the top it's way off plane - stop the video right there at the top and take a close look at where the grip end of the shaft is pointing - far to the right of the ball (from the camera's perspective). It should be pointing at the ball of course. Think SHOULDERS - it's a full shoulder turn, a bit ahead of the hip turn on the way back and a bit behind the hip turn on the way down - that delivers the power. Golf is about core body action primarily, and arm/hand action only secondarily. Don't ask me how many years it took me to start appreciating this simple fact ....
2) Keep your spine angle constant, all the way back and all the way through. But you can only do this if you get 1) right. You tilt your spine forward (towards the ball) on the way down to compensate for being so far off plane at the top. You make a very athletic move coming down to achieve ball contact - this augurs well because when you get the backswing sorted out with a simpler, one-piece shoulder turn and coordinated hip drive, you're gonna really crank the ball, seemingly effortlessly. If you weren't so athletic, you'd never be able to pull it off as well as you do now!

Your swing really has tremendous potential. A few basic changes and your game should improve dramatically. Just try to keep it simple - maybe just think "triangle" and "spine" on the way back, then you should be able to come down freely and powerfully with less effort. A word of warning though: at first it will feel like you're going over the top on the way back, but with time it'll start to feel right.

Good luck with it and great video.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Well, this certainly proved a very successful effort. Hit the balls with more confidence than ever before today. Turning my body more definitely helped on everything. It's quite amazing actually. After practicing a while I could force a draw (or push, wherever my clubhead was) by having a bigger body turn than needed. When I took the club away like one unit and got the body turned I came into a perfect plane. I also swung some thinking about turning and not lifting. Turning my torso around the axis of the spine. This also gave great results. In the start I hit a lot of shots that started straight, but span to the right. My grip was OK, I had to shut the clubface a lot to get it straight. I found that turning the body better and more importantly, disconnecting the hips from the shoulders and letting them turn second really gave some great shots, gaining some yards there.

Still, I have a few things left. Not that I'm cured or anything, but I want to understand how to swing before trying. I've been struggling some with weight transfer, obviously because of my old swing, still need some work on it though. At the finish position I had a tendency to fall a bit against the target or forward. In the finish my weight is also at the balls of my left foot, should it not be closer to the heel?

This could be related to my next problem; lag. I've always been a hitter, but don't have the need to keep this going. I had some shots during the session that came out so soft I was surprised I even hit the ball, it felt almost like the ball hadn't touched the club. I only managed this when focusing my eyes on just air down the target line, or a foot or two ahead of the ball. I even hit some with my eyes shut that came out so soft, it was unbelievable. When my focus is at the ball I try to hit it, I release the club at the ball, not out ahead. This give be a bad impact. The ball still go straight and all that, but I'm losing a lot of power, plus, I really want to hit the ball consistent with that butter feel.

My backswing is also much shorter now, but I can do a full turn and hit the ball somewhat accurately, but I'll save those shots for my driver and keep the swing short and nice with the irons for now.

This will probably be the hardest thing to work on. When I look down at, or at least in the direction, of the ball, I'm unable to get that late release and great feeling. My mind is set to hit the ball.

So, any tips on how to get rid of that feeling of wanting to hit the ball and being able to just pass through it and release out ahead?

After hitting some buckets I found a 2004-2005 (I think) Titleist Pro V1. Saved it for last, hoping I'd get a good shot. And I did, the ball flew nice and far, but I didn't get it with the lag I want, so it should've gone even further.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Here's a bold prediction for you: if you keep it up, you'll save at least 5 strokes a round within a couple of months. That's what happened to me in similar circumstances, not so long ago actually. Nicely posted btw, you are probably inspiring many others. Don't forget to keep your head a little bit behind the ball (i.e. away from the target) throughout the stroke, which will counteract the reverse pivot tendency - something I constantly work on myself. Many good things will flow from your greater confidence in clubhead path; you'll find yourself really aiming at targets instead of hitting and hoping. Be more on a firing range than a driving range out there.

To improve lag and help with casting, ask the question that Tiger asks of himself: how far can I keep my hands from my head at the top of the backswing? In other words, work on good extension at the top. Push your left hand away from your head a bit with your right hand to get that stretched feeling (but don't overdo it ....). This is very much a work-in-progress for me at the moment.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

• 5 weeks later...

A little update here.

Some issues I've adressed:

- Too long backswing
- Swing plane is better, but can get higher
- The backswing move the body position
- Early release
- Reverse pivot
- Driver hitting down on the ball
- Body moving forward between adress and impact
- Dip with torso

I've been looking at my right foot and wondering why it's already way raised up at impact. I'm thinking it could be a reverse pivot and balance issue. I sometimes fall forward after a shot. My arms and hands are very late in reference to the torso, don't know why or what do to there.
My driver is going as far as my 18,5º wood, don't know why. I lose distance with the early release obviously, but I assume that goes for the wood also, still hit it as far as the driver, sometimes longer. Both go around 200 meters.

Nice posture, but i think you go to much on the inside early in your backswing, just take a look at Tiger woods / Sean O`hair swingvision on 18th tee last week. Tiger starts his club outside, and then comes from the inside on the downswing.
I have the same problem as you regarding the right foot raising off the ground too early, leading to a wicked slice and "falling forward" after the shot. I think my problem is i dont shift weight from the left foot, and therefore just keep my weight on the front foot, resulting in my right knee moving towards the ball, not the target.
As you mentioned, too early release, but who doesnt struggle with that ?

Btw, have they opened the summer tee`s on Kolnes, or is it still winter tee`s ?

The summer greens are open, but still winter tees. I'll proabably be playing more in Sveio this year.

Get most of your weight to the inside of your left foot by the end of the backswing while keeping your head behind the ball. Then simply turn the hips leaving your arms and hands totally passive. You will be surprised to find that the club falls behind you to the correct plane preventing the over the top move.

i had the same problem zeph. i used to play a lot of baseball and hockey growing up and i think thats where i developed my swing from. i just saw your update and its looking real good compared to your first vid. congrats on getting your swing down
as for your weight transfer issue.
the first move down is the weight moving to the left foot. but i read in Golf Digest from an article by trevor immelman saying to remember to brace the left leg through impact (don't let the left knee sway left through impact). that might help you from toppling over of shots.
i think i remember tiger saying something similar. hope i could help...

In my bag:
Driver: R9 TP Rombax Stiff
3 Wood: R9 TP 85g Stiff
3 hybrid: X
4-SW: X-20 Uniflex

SteelLW: Forged Chrome

Putter: White Hot XG #1

Note: This thread is 5508 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!