IGNORED

Sound of a Driver...

Note: This thread is 5517 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. how much influence does sound have on if you will buy?

• none
    • very little
    • some, but not determinative
    • a lot
    • sounds bad, no deal

I would not buy a Driver based on sound over actual performance, but luckily with the MacGregor MT driver I recently purchased I am getting great performance and sound. I don't know if anyone has hit these but they are the closest driver I've hit in a long time that sounds and feels like the old persimmon drivers. Just a nice solid "SMASH" without the ting-y-ness of most modern drivers.

In My Bag:
Driver: :Cobra Amp Cell Pro 9.5*, Stock X-Flex

3 Wood: :Cobra Bio Cell 16*, Stock X-Flex

5 Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 20*, Stock S-Flex
Irons: Bridgestone J40-CB 3-PW, Project-X 6.0

Gap Wedge::Vokey: 52* CNC  

Sand Wedge: :Vokey: 58* CNC  

Putters: Scotty Cameron Newport II 

Ball: Bridgestone 330-S(2014)

I would have to say nothing bothers me. I played an off brand that had the most annoying ping to it but I got used to it. I just bought a HiBore XLS and that first hit scared me. but after I saw how well it worked for me that was the last time I ever thought about sound. I bought that drive after one bucket of balls on the demo. Sounds should be put over playability IMO

Bag: Ogio
Driver: Cleveland HiBore XLS 9.5 gold stiff
3W: Pro Select 15*
Irons: Pro Select 3-PW
Wedge:Adams Tom Watson set GW, SW, LWPutter: Cleveland VP 1balls: E6+ or Srixonshoes: Adidas powerband"Stop looking at my ears and play!"Home course. Antler Creek; tees; Black 77.5/150, Gold...

I played the Sumo 2 last year, and man was it loud!

I didn't really mind it, like some have said, it's an attention getter.... and I can be an attention wh*re sometimes.....

But, I went w/ the Cobra L5V for this year and she does have that high pitched "pop" to her, but when I'm watching it sail 300 yards, I'm not going to worry about the sound.....

TM R11/Titleist 910F 15*/ Nike SQ2 20* & 23*/ Nike CCi 5-PW/ Nike SV 52* & 56*/ SC Newport 2 Studio Style 32.5"
Nike 20XIx/Pro V1x

I would have to say nothing bothers me. I played an off brand that had the most annoying ping to it but I got used to it. I just bought a HiBore XLS and that first hit scared me. but after I saw how well it worked for me that was the last time I ever thought about sound. I bought that drive after one bucket of balls on the demo. Sounds should be put over playability IMO

yeah the first time i hit mine... it scared the crap outta me... i was at golf galaxy and i thought... holy crap i just put a monster sky mark/dent on this puppy and now im gonna have to buy it and ive only hit it once... i immediately looked at the head and the only mark on it was the dead center hit on the masking tape... thats when the gg employee told me... yup... thats just the sound it makes... hahaha

RUSS's avg drive - 230yrds and climbing

The sound really doesnt matter to me. As long as the driver performs well, Im happy. My MX-560 is what some would consider to have a weird sound (its got a pretty loud, "tink" at impact), but it performs well and I like it.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I played the Sumo 2 last year, and man was it loud!

The L5V is the loudest thing I have heard in a while. It's more than a pop; it sounds like a bomb went off.

-Rich

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I couldn't stand the sound of the composite drivers, like the Callaway and Cobra. The sound was one of the reasons I went with the Taylormade when I bought a new driver last year. The Taylormade just looked right, sounded right but most important, I hit it the best.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

I have a Callaway FT-i Tour Low CG Driver, it sounds like a baseball batt hiting a rock, the sounds is super loud and annoying, but the results are well worth noise..

As you can see... I play the same club. It is certainly loud, but I actually like the sound... it is much better than the muted "TINK" my old driver made. My friend says it sounds like an oil can, but I think that is more descriptive of the SUMO square driver. The loudness of my FT-i makes me feel like I'm bombing it.

My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

• 2 weeks later...
I have the Cleveland XLS and i love the sound. the more ear piercing the sound is the better the shot looks.

I bought the Cobra LD F Speed Driver because it provided the best results. So what if it sounds like a tin can when I hit it right? At least I know by sound that I DID hit it right. :)

LD F Speed 9.5 Driver Stiff
MX 700 3W Stiff
MP Fli Hi 2, 3, 4
MP 52 5i-9i
MP-T 47.06, 51.06, & 58.10 White Hot XG Teron Putter ProV1x ShoesQUOTE:"I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones" - Terry "The Wedge Guy" Koehler

I LOVE the sound of my driver, especially when it sails into the wide blue yonder! It brings to mind a college baseball game.

If I could get a putter that makes that kinda noise I'd be on it in a second.

I don't know who this kid is, but the impact sound sure is familiar

Note: This thread is 5517 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!