IGNORED

Advice for higher hc from lower hc's when paired

TheNatural
Note: This thread is 5527 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

exactly what i did, he assumed i sucked because im 16, my game proved him wrong.

Well, if what you said in your original post is true, telling them that you "suck", then I don't agree with your response.

If they did as you say, I really don't think they did anything wrong. Asking a total stranger, that is about to join them, about his game, IMO is appropriate. They might have adjusted where they tee off. Or they could have offered some advice. Or if you let them know your handicap, then they might have made it interesting. By being told that you suck, then seeing your play, they probably though you were a disrespectful punk.

Driver: Nike Covert Driver

Irons: Mizuno JPX-825 Pro 5-GW 

Cleveland Mashie 1, 2, 3, & 4 hybrids

Wedges: Mizuno MP-T4 Black Nickel 54* & 58*

Putter: Wack-e with super stroke grip

Ball: Titleist Pro V1X

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, if what you said in your original post is true, telling them that you "suck", then I don't agree with your response.

They assumed i didnt know anything about golf. They asked me if i knew the ettiquitte and if i had ever played before. They never would have had the nerve to ask that to someone older.

All i did was entertain his thoughts which were obviously he thought he was better than me, and judged me by appearance and age. I never told him i sucked i told him sarcastically i had never played before. I dont go to golf so i can be asked 20 questions when im paired up with someone, i go to golf so i can enjoy it, people like that ruin the game (people who act like their better than everyone else)

This would be aggravating as hell.

Then play by the rules, I don't see the problem.

If I break a rule I want to know about it, otherwise the next time I do it, it might be in a tournament and ending in a DQ.
Driver: Callaway FT-IQ 10° I-Mix 5w: Callaway X Hybrid: 21º Open CT
4-5: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 6-PW: Alpha C1 Pro
52º, 56º,60º Callaway X-Tour
Putter: Cleveland Classic 4

For a 16 year old kid wouldn't this be par for the course? I guess this expains a few things for me.

In my bag are
Hibore XLS 10.5*
Hibore XLS 22* 3i Hybrid
TA7 irons 3-PW, SW
CG11 60* LW VP #5 putter.

For a 16 year old kid wouldn't this be par for the course? I guess this expains a few things for me.

what do you mean par for the course?

They assumed i didnt know anything about golf. They asked me if i knew the ettiquitte and if i had ever played before. They never would have had the nerve to ask that to someone older.

Because you are young, you took it personally. Imagine that you are 30 and a young man is paired with your 3some, who are competent golfers. You're telling me you wouldn't ask questions to assess that kid's playing ability. There are a dozen reasons why it would be OK. You just haven't lived long enough to understand.

And, yes, it was because you are young. Get over it.

what do you mean par for the course?

"Par for the course" is what is normal and acceptable for a particular situation. Example: "I get sick every time I travel." Answer: "That's just par for the course." "Par" on a golf "course" is the average number of strokes a golfer needs to get the ball in all the holes; "par for the course" is what is usual and expected. Example: "Things don't always work out as we want in life, and that's just par for the course; we do our best and go on." We should not get too bothered when things happen that are par for the course, because they are regular parts of life.

So you being 16 and disrepectful is "Par for the Course." Also you being 16 and not realizing the legitimacy of thier question could be "par for the course". I did not previously know you were this young. And like I said this explains a few things for me. Nice Handicap BTW. Someday I hope I'll be as good a golfer.

In my bag are
Hibore XLS 10.5*
Hibore XLS 22* 3i Hybrid
TA7 irons 3-PW, SW
CG11 60* LW VP #5 putter.

Well, I don't consider myself a low handicap. I guess I would be a mid handicapper by definition.

But it wasn't too long ago that I was in the 20-25 handicap range, and sometimes I worried about holding other people up or ruining their round, etc.

I would say just relax and worry about your game. Usually the other players are concerned about their own ball and don't really notice or care about what anyone else is doing. At least that is the way I am. Most of the time I don't know if you got a 4 or a 9 on the hole.

#1 Play the proper tee box for your skill level, you are not impressing anyone by playing the blues, then hitting it O.B. all day because you are overswinging.

Here, my worst round of golf (when playing behind High handicapper <--- I actually don't care if you are high or low handicapper, but this is unacceptable for me). I keep this for so long with myself, I have to let it out here on this web lol...kidding...

You remind me of my last season. This was on Saturday. I was warming at the range, and there's 2 guys in front of me, warming up. They were OK golfer, about 150-200 yards with driver. but they had bad consistency. The ball went all over the place. OK, I didn't care, maybe they were new to golf. Then....I walked to the first tee with my friend, and I saw these two guys, they were in a group in front of me (playing with other 2 friends, so 4 people total).......again......I didn't care........ Then.....I saw them walking to THE BLUE TEE !!!! and it freaked me out. I was like, what are you guys doing? After that, I expected this round to be a long one (but what happened was more then my expectation). They hit the ball, average 150 yards of the tee (all of them !!!!) and it went all over the place. That was not enough...... They took so long... I mean soooooo longggggg to hit the ball. Instead of getting ready to hit the ball, they stand there and wait until their partner hit the ball. After their partner hit, then the next guy would start warming up, and it took about another minute or two to hit the ball. and still, the ball went all over the place (I don't care about this much, I know it's golf) Everyone of them did this. I am not sure if they were thinking they were in Ryder cup or something .... On many shots, my group had to wait for about 5-15 minutes. I was thinking the group of them were playing slow, but when I look ahead, it ended up they were gone already. So, basically, it was just this group in front of me who played slow. I saw the Marshall was looking at them for a long time. I was hoping him to tell them to stop and let my group pass by. It ended up that he didn't say anything !!! He, the Marshall, did not say a xxxx thing !!!! I was really mad, and at one point I was aiming at the Marshall. I know it was bad, but it was the worst experience on the course ever. I had played on this course before and the Marshall told my group to play faster, because the group behind was about to catch up. But he didn't say anything to this group who played slower than us. At 10th tee, a guy in my group couldn't stand this anymore, he aimed right at them with his driver. The ball dropped about 2-3 yards just behind them. By the way, that drive was about 290-300 yards. It was his first shot that was about 2-3 yards behind their second shot. Oh, I didn't mention that we all hit the ball really far, at least 280 yards with the driver (and we are now behind the group who hit the ball 150 yards of the tee on average, and playing on the Blue Tee ...) Conclusion = guys, please know your level, and if you play on the weekend, please think about the other. Please be ready to hit your shot. This saying this, it doesn't mean you have to rush, but play at your best as fast as you can, especially in the weekend. If you are in a tournament, of course, that's another story. by the way, we spent almost 6 hours on the course that day. Thanks to those guys .... :(

Driver TP Burner 8.5* Stiff
3 Wood SQ 15* stiff
5 Wood SQ 19* stiff
Irons MP 67 (3-PW) stiff
Wedge 52* and 56* stiffPutter Mtisushiba Ball

Because you are young, you took it personally. Imagine that you are 30 and a young man is paired with your 3some, who are competent golfers. You're telling me you wouldn't ask questions to assess that kid's playing ability. There are a dozen reasons why it would be OK. You just haven't lived long enough to understand.

it wasnt that he was trying to asses my playing ability he was asking if i "knew the rules" in a snooty way and that put me off. If i was 30 years old and was trying to asess a kids playing ability i would simply wait till after the first ole when he had shot.

Or if i simply couldnt wait, i would realise that the kid is a member (as he is playing on a member day at a private course) and ask him if he plays alot, i would NOT ask in a snooty way if he had ever even played golf before.

it wasnt that he was trying to asses my playing ability he was asking if i "knew the rules" in a snooty way and that put me off. If i was 30 years old and was trying to asess a kids playing ability i would simply wait till after the first ole when he had shot.

Ok, I agree. If he was "snooty" about it. Then you are right. Not a good way to start off the round.

However, in my personal experience, people <25 years old, seem to be more sensitive these days. I work with a lot of different people. In the Navy, personnel are constantly moving in and out, so I get to see a more varied work-force than most. With that said, the way that young sailors need to be treated today is much different when I came in. There is a lack of being able to take criticism in today's youth. They have only been told that just trying is good enough. All of them always got a juice box and a trophy growing up. The first time they are told that what they did was not good enough, it is a real scene. I thought that's what we had here. Another 16 year old being too sensitive.

I have to disagree with everyone saying pick up the ball if you're slowing down the group. First off, if you're playing with friends, they SHOULD understand that it may take you longer to finish a hole than them. If you're paired with strangers, well unfortunately for them, you payed just as much to play as they did. I know it sounds rude, but the vast majority of people are not professional golfers. This is a game that is meant to be relaxing and enjoyed by all who play, not just the low handicappers.

I didn't play on a course until I had been hitting balls for 2 years, but if a beginner wants to learn on the course, hear the ball go in to the cup, maintain an actual handicap to monitor his improvement, etc., who are we to say he have to pick his ball up because he doesn't keep up to our standard? You have to learn by actually playing, and that means finishing a hole past triple bogey.

Brandon

R7 460 SuperQuad driver
G5 3 wood
Rescue Mid 2H R7 3-AW Vokey Spinned Milled 60* White Hot Tour #5 Burner TP

I have to disagree with everyone saying pick up the ball if you're slowing down the group. First off, if you're playing with friends, they SHOULD understand that it may take you longer to finish a hole than them. If you're paired with strangers, well unfortunately for them, you payed just as much to play as they did. I know it sounds rude, but the vast majority of people are not professional golfers. This is a game that is meant to be relaxing and enjoyed by all who play, not just the low handicappers.

Are you joking? You really didn't mean to write something so stupid. Take another shot at actually thinking before writing down your thoughts. Really, you don't care how many players you are inconveniencing? It doesn't SOUND rude, it IS rude. You are the type of clueless player I hate seeing in front of my 4 some. Let's make 100 players' round take 6 hours just so Little Johnny won't be rushed or embarrassed. He needs to learn and we all must suffer while he gets his head out of his a$$.

Conclusion = guys, please know your level, and if you play on the weekend, please think about the other. Please be ready to hit your shot. This saying this, it doesn't mean you have to rush, but play at your best as fast as you can, especially in the weekend. If you are in a tournament, of course, that's another story.

by the way, we spent almost 6 hours on the course that day. Thanks to those guys .... :([/QUOTE]

UGGG This is when I get violent oops I cant see that far away did I hit you?
sorry Im new to golf...

Then play by the rules, I don't see the problem.

Oh I promise you would quickly see the problem if you did this more than once around me. Unless we are playing against each other you would be informed in no uncertain terms this is a dick move. Given your attitude in this response it would be a fun conversation for me.

I carry a rule book in my bag and if I have a question about a rule I'll look it up myself or ASK someone I'm with (in which case fire away and let them know the error of their ways), but I would NEVER call someone out who I'm just randomly paired with.
If I break a rule I want to know about it, otherwise the next time I do it, it might be in a tournament and ending in a DQ.

Just a thought, If you want to be informed of the rules to avoid a DQ then just learn the damn rules, don't depend on someone correcting your mistakes to learn. It's also not your responsibility to teach the poor ignorant golf masses the rules so they don't get DQ.

So here's to you Mr. UN-solicited Golf-rule-Nazi : killing good will on the golf course one unsuspecting golfer at a time.
In the bag:
905R 9.5° - UST ProForce V2 65R
909F2 15.5° Titleist Diamana 75
909H 19° Titleist Diamana 80
Zing 2 3-PW Vokey SM48.08 @ 51° Vokey SM56.11 Unitized Leo

Actually i did get in one 3somes face they were playing an unapproved tournament w 2 4somes ahead of us

So 4some 4some 3some pair(me and dad)

They were slooooooow....when we approached them at a hole we asked if we could play through, they said "no" despite theem being 2 holes behind their next group (3 holes+ behind their lead group) all because they were playing a closest to the pin competition with the other groups...on par 3's

Heated words were exchanged, my pop was pissed and kept telling me to escalate,,said you can handle all 3 of them let them throw a punch first...LOL...I just went to the proshop and lashed out at the pro and staff and demanded they get booted ...we got a 18 hole rain check....they got booted.. (lashed out is a little strong,,, Polite lashing)

Oh I promise you would quickly see the problem if you did this more than once around me. Unless we are playing against each other you would be informed in no uncertain terms this is a dick move. Given your attitude in this response it would be a fun conversation for me.

Rules have only been expressed to me a by a good friend, i dont know them all yet, so I accept the advice...grounding in bunker was the first rule mentioned to me...otherwise no rule nazi's yet....

Are you joking? You really didn't mean to write something so stupid. Take another shot at actually thinking before writing down your thoughts.

No, I'm not joking. Not sure who died and made you king of the course, but other people have just as much a right to enjoy themselves. From the sounds of things you'd love to be behind me because I play very quickly and encourage others to do the same. However, I know I have no right to tell someone to pick up his ball.

There is no rule that says how long a proper round of golf should take. And even though I'm not a slow player nor do I enjoy slow play, I can understand that some people will take longer than myself. Get over yourself, you're not the only person on the course.

Brandon

R7 460 SuperQuad driver
G5 3 wood
Rescue Mid 2H R7 3-AW Vokey Spinned Milled 60* White Hot Tour #5 Burner TP

Note: This thread is 5527 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!