IGNORED

Birmingham/Hoover Al area practice facilities??

Note: This thread is 5529 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am going to be in the Birmingham/Hoover area next week for some training and I was wondering if there were any good practice facilities in the area? Specifically for the short game. I have some things that I am working on and since I will be down there all week, I figured that would be the best week to get in a lot of practice.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I am a big fan of the RTJ Trail courses but I don't remember being particularly impressed with either the Birmingham or Hoover area's short game area. I know that Birmingham has a short course but that's all I can remember. Hope someone else can remember a little better.

T.M. O'Connell

What's in My Bag
Driver - 909 D2 9.5 degree
3 Wood - 909 F2 15.5 degreeHybrid - 909 H 19 degreeIrons - AP2 w/ Rifle 6.5Wedges - BN 60.04 & 54.11Putter - Pro Platinum Plus

I may have time to get in one of the RBJ courses, but I don't know yet. It just depends on what time we get out of class. I looked at them. The Ross Bridge course is 8000 yards long!! I would like to play that from the tips just to take it all in. But the greens fees were pretty steep for that one too.

Bryan A

I regularly play out at Oxmoor Valley which is one of the RTJ sites in the Birmingham area (Ross Bridge being the other and right down the road). OV has a decent practice area with a large range, chipping/putting green, and a bunker practice area. My only beef is that the range is down hill so it is hard to gauge your distance. I have not been out to RB do to the $$$ but I know it has a range. Oxmoor Valley also has 2 regular 18s and an 18hole short course.
Both OV and RB are located on the Hoover side of town.

Driver: Cobra somthin
3 wood: Big Bertha Warbird (yeah its old)
5 wodd: Big Bertha Warbird
Irons: TaylorMade 360 3-PW
SW: Titleist 981SL (54*)LW: Titleist Vokey 58*Putter: Odessey Duel Force 2

I may try to get out to OV and get in some golf tomorrow or Thursday. I don't get out of class until 4:30 which might give me time to play 18. I guess I could play 9.

Bryan A

I decided not to play the RTJ courses because it was wet and I didn't want to spend that money on a wet course. So I went to the state park...oka mountain. I did not like that course at all really. How does anyone putt on those greens? I couldn't hit it hard enough to get it to the hole it seemed like. The layout wasn't bad but I was really disappointed with the greens. I left many birdie putts well short. I managed to par most holes from the blue, but the round should have been much better. Oh well, it was something to do.

Bryan A

• 2 weeks later...
I decided not to play the RTJ courses because it was wet and I didn't want to spend that money on a wet course. So I went to the state park...oka mountain. I did not like that course at all really. How does anyone putt on those greens? I couldn't hit it hard enough to get it to the hole it seemed like. The layout wasn't bad but I was really disappointed with the greens. I left many birdie putts well short. I managed to par most holes from the blue, but the round should have been much better. Oh well, it was something to do.

I played that course afew years ago. Your right, it did suck. Next time your down that way you should definately play both the oxmoor valley and ridge courses. Both are definately worth the money.

Clubs:
Driver: Ping Rapture 10.5 degree, Stiff Flex shaft
Fairway Wood: Ping Rapture 17* - Stiff Shaft
Hybrids: Callaway Heaven Wood 20* Firm Flex
Irons: Titleist 704 CB (Forged) (4-PW), Dynamic Gold S300 ShaftsWedges: Titleist Vokey 52 and 58 degreePutter: Odessy White Hot XG Model #1Bag: Ping HooferBa...

I played that course afew years ago. Your right, it did suck. Next time your down that way you should definately play both the oxmoor valley and ridge courses. Both are definately worth the money.

I really wanted to play one of them bad but it was just to wet to justify spending the money. I wish I would have went ahead and played it now. We are going to take a trip a hit a few of the RTJ courses before too long.

Bryan A

Do it. They worth the money.

Clubs:
Driver: Ping Rapture 10.5 degree, Stiff Flex shaft
Fairway Wood: Ping Rapture 17* - Stiff Shaft
Hybrids: Callaway Heaven Wood 20* Firm Flex
Irons: Titleist 704 CB (Forged) (4-PW), Dynamic Gold S300 ShaftsWedges: Titleist Vokey 52 and 58 degreePutter: Odessy White Hot XG Model #1Bag: Ping HooferBa...

Note: This thread is 5529 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!