IGNORED

Club selection 4hybrid vs. 4iron

Note: This thread is 5516 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Personally, i think determining whether or not to use a hybrid or an iron is determined by you club head speed. If do not generate enough speed hitting longer irons will be difficult. This is why the hybrids are so nice, so of the power comes from the wood like design. The becomes more apparent when hitting out of the rough.

Seems to me that if that were the case, we wouldn't be seeing so many hybrids in use on tour these days.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ok and you just made my point for me. The tour now is all about hitting it long without any regard to where it lands. If you look at the every good golfer prior to the "Tiger" era, they hit it semi long, but extremely accurate. Today golf courses are no longer judge by having to make creative, accurate shots. They are only good if they are at least 7500 yds long. I have played both short and long courses and I will shoot the same score on both. I wanna see these guys have to hit deadly accurate shots from 150 yds rather than average shots from 220.

This is horribly off-topic, but all you're really saying about tour players is that their scrambling is better than ever before, because the scores aren't changing much for their lesser quality, longer distance irons.

I threw my clubs into the lake so it's time to start over...

Driver: Great Big Bertha II 10°, Callaway System 60 Firm
Woods: Tour 2400 Plus 3
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H, Adila NV 85 SIrons: X20 4-GWPutter: Studio Select Newport 2

I said long irons are harder to hit and that's why hybrids are needed for lower handicap players. He stated that hybrids are showing up on tour more frequently. Then, i said because the pros suck at accuracy now the we are in the "Tiger" era of golf.

Don't get me wrong, i love hitting the ball 300 yds, but i also like having a challenging shot where distance is not the main focus.

Ok and you just made my point for me. The tour now is all about hitting it long without any regard to where it lands. If you look at the every good golfer prior to the "Tiger" era, they hit it semi long, but extremely accurate.

1. Agree, I think, that tour being all about long, bomb and gouge, is a negative.

2. Disagree with the "semi long". Nicklaus - super long; Weiskopf - long; Watson - long; Couples - long; Love III - Long. Many other examples. Most good golfers prior to Tiger were very long hitters, not semi-long, but also good drivers of the golf ball, period.

909D3 (Voodoo, stiff)
King Cobra Comp 5w (YS 5.1 Stiff)
AP1 4,5; AP2 6-P; Vokey 252 08, SM56 14, SM60 08 (Nippon N.S. Pro 950GH Regular)
Newport 2 Mid Slant

I find a 4 Hybrid to be much longer than a 4I. My 4I doesnt usually roll past 215, however the 4 hybrids that I have hit usually roll out to 230-245.

I will also add that I seem to find that irons are more accurate, and more consistant, yet hybrids are longer and because of the ease of use, more workable.

I was trying to keep my 4 iron but I only it hit it decent off the tee. Any other lie I have a pretty difficult time putting a good swing on it. I'm going to put it back in my Pops attic where it came from and try to find a good hybrid on eBay.

Driver:TaylorMade R580 XD Stiff
3 Wood:Wilson FY-brid 15*
Hybrid:Adams A3 Boxer # 3
Irons:Titleist Square Toe 4
Irons:Callaway X-20 5-PWWedges:Adams Tight Lies GT SWPutter: Ping Anser 2Ball: Wilson Ultra or Precept Lady IQ180 or Bridgestone e6+

so how much of a gap could I face with a 25* hybrid vs. a 24* Iron? I like that the hybrid is forgiving but I also don't want a very large gap in the irons. Would it still be around the 10 yard differance "rule of thumb"

Bag: Ogio
Driver: Cleveland HiBore XLS 9.5 gold stiff
3W: Pro Select 15*
Irons: Pro Select 3-PW
Wedge:Adams Tom Watson set GW, SW, LWPutter: Cleveland VP 1balls: E6+ or Srixonshoes: Adidas powerband"Stop looking at my ears and play!"Home course. Antler Creek; tees; Black 77.5/150, Gold...

4 hybrid... Alot of players find them easier to hit.

Clubs:
Driver: Ping Rapture 10.5 degree, Stiff Flex shaft
Fairway Wood: Ping Rapture 17* - Stiff Shaft
Hybrids: Callaway Heaven Wood 20* Firm Flex
Irons: Titleist 704 CB (Forged) (4-PW), Dynamic Gold S300 ShaftsWedges: Titleist Vokey 52 and 58 degreePutter: Odessy White Hot XG Model #1Bag: Ping HooferBa...

I'd like to revise a statement I made in my earlier post on this thread....about not being able to knock down my 4H.

I played a round since then and was in a situation where this was needed...fairly good wind coming in my face...normal 4 iron distance for me on a par 3 tee shot.

I used my 4H but made a slight set up change: moved the ball back to just behind center of my stance....and set up with my hands just ahead of the ball. I took an otherwise normal swing (no abrieviated backswing or followthrough like I was in the habit of doing with knockdown irons).

The ball came off very nicely and carried to the front of the green and released a bit and rolled up to 15'.

Turns out it is a much more natural way to lower trajectory for me than to have to alter my swing too much.

Said it before....I'll say it again.....these hybrids are golden. I can see why NIKE didn't change up their hybrid line as soon as they did with the DYMO woods and drivers.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

Note: This thread is 5516 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!