IGNORED

Want to talk Colorado golf?

Note: This thread is 5434 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've played courses in a lot of states, mostly west of the Miss, and I believe Colorado is one of the best golf destinations a person could wish for if you're looking for variety. Can I exclude California in that statement? California should be an asterisk, what amazing golf...

A 2 hour drive can put you into beautiful mountain courses, fantastic links courses to the east and some very fun, inexpensive courses in the Denver area.

Anyone have a few Colorado favorites?

1) Red Sky Golf Club
2) The Raven at Three Peaks
3) Arrowhead
4) Castle Pines
5) Fox Acres

Geez, there are just too many "Very Good" to "Great" courses to list...

If anyone out there isn't familiar with what is happening here with the pine beetle, you should look into the devastation this little pest has caused.
What's in the bag...

Driver --- G15 9* Aldila Serrano
3 Wood - Sumo2 15* Aldila NV
5 Wood - Versus 19* Mitsubishi Bassara 83Irons ---- X-Forged 4 - PWWedges - Vokey S.M. 52.08, 56.08 & 60.08Putter --- Futura PhantomBall ------ Tour i(s)

I really enjoyed Castle Pines, and Arrowhead was a nice surprise. Historic Cherry Hills is quite famous. But there are also courses in the mountains at Vail (Cordillera and Eagle Vail) and Aspen that are exciting. Don't leave out The Broadmore and Interlocken. Then there is Telluride... man, the ball goes a long way in the mountains, and the putts there go away from the big ones. So many great tracks.

RC

My brother and his family moved to Colorado a year ago. He is in Castle Rock south of Denver and we went to visit last year. A beautiful area; the local muni there is Red Hawk Ridge. It was a nice track; played in July, so with the heat and altitude it was a lot different from playing at sea level like I'm used to. I'll be going back to visit so want to try some new courses. What is the name of the Nicklaus course that is the HQ of the Colorado PGA? I heard good things about that.

Ping G 410 10.5 ˚ Driver Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 14.5˚ 3 Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 19˚ Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
i 500 irons 4-UW 1/2 inch over, blue dot, NS Pro Modus 105 Stiff Shafts
Ping Stealth Wedges Wedges  54˚ 58˚

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 34" 

So Interlocken is worth the hype? I drive by there and then look at their rates and wonder how it's possible, but until I play it I try to keep an open mind.

There's a new course open, Cougar Canyon, in Trinidad. I would like to make it there this year, but who knows. It looks fantastic. I believe it was the #3 best new course by GD. The pictures I've seen look like it could be something special.
What's in the bag...

5 Wood - Versus 19* Mitsubishi Bassara 83Irons ---- X-Forged 4 - PWWedges - Vokey S.M. 52.08, 56.08 & 60.08Putter --- Futura PhantomBall ------ Tour i(s)

My brother and his family moved to Colorado a year ago. He is in Castle Rock south of Denver and we went to visit last year. A beautiful area; the local muni there is Red Hawk Ridge. It was a nice track; played in July, so with the heat and altitude it was a lot different from playing at sea level like I'm used to. I'll be going back to visit so want to try some new courses. What is the name of the Nicklaus course that is the HQ of the Colorado PGA? I heard good things about that.

That's The Club at Bear Dance. I've never played the course. I'm pretty certain it would be an amazing day of golf.

What's in the bag...

I used to live in Castle Rock. Absolutely beautiful out there. My personal favorite course in Colorado was the Blue Course at the Air Force Academy. Robert Trent Jones designed. $6 junior rate when you go with someone with a military ID, and $20ish for adult with military ID. Also played The Ridge which was within half a mile from my house. I played Bear Dance once, too. Again, absolutely beautiful. The PGA Tour needs to come back out after losing the International

What's in My Extreme Lite Bag:
Driver: 909D2 9.5* w/ stiff Made for Titleist Voodoo
3-Wood: 904f 15*
2- Hybrid: 18* Heavenwood
3-PW: X-18 w/ steel Uniflex shaftsSW: Forged 56* LW: chrome 60*Putter: 34" White Hot Two-BallBall: NXT Tour

Interlocken in very nice, but pricey. For less money, there are lots of good courses in the area.

RC

The Colorado climate is perfect for golf. This past winter, the courses in Aurora suspended play for only 2-3 days at a time; no more than two and a-half weeks total.

I’ve played Sanctuary (Sedalia, CO) and The Ridge at Castle Pines North (Castle Rock). They are challenging and immaculately kept courses.

I golf mostly the muni tracks in Aurora. Meadow Hills is a nice traditional course, Saddle Rock is a high-plains, links style course – the tenth hole is a signature hole, and Murphy Creek is a par 72 prairie links layout – from the tips it’s 7548 yards (75.5/139).

"Every man is his own hell" - H.L. Mencken

• 3 weeks later...
I used to live in Castle Rock. Absolutely beautiful out there. My personal favorite course in Colorado was the Blue Course at the Air Force Academy. Robert Trent Jones designed. $6 junior rate when you go with someone with a military ID, and $20ish for adult with military ID. Also played The Ridge which was within half a mile from my house. I played Bear Dance once, too. Again, absolutely beautiful. The PGA Tour needs to come back out after losing the International

I have played Broadmore (sp?), the ridge and the Eisenhower Course at the AFA. Playing the blue course about 12 times. It is actually one of my favorite courses in the world. Having a father that was an international commercial pilot I was fortunate enough to get to travel alot and also take advantage of my military dependent (Home course and former employer Falcon Dunes GC, Luke Air Force Base, AZ)

OG Hoofer bag
Titleist 905R 9.5°, Grapite Design YS-6+ (S)
Callaway Warbird 4 wood, Grafalloy ProLaunch 65S
Ping ISI-s: JZ Cushin Regular flex, white dot
Titleist Vokey Design 54° "AW", Cleveland 588 60° "LW", Ping IWI Craz-E

Home Course: Falcon Dunes, Luke AFB, AZ

Has anyone played Fossil Trace Golf Club in Golden? I played there a few weeks ago and thought it was a great course!

What's in my Golf Bag:

G 10 Driver
Hibore Hybrid 2I
i10 irons 4-U Wedge. Green Dot588 52 Degree WedgeCG12 56 Degree WedgeCG10 60 Degree WedgeSabertooth Putter

I live in the southwest corner of CO & we have a few great courses down here as well!

http://www.daltonranch.com/

http://www.golfhillcrest.com/

http://www.theglaciercluboffering.com/

http://www.golfpagosa.com/premiergolf.asp?id=10&page;=91

These are all fantastic tracks! You guys up in the metro area should come down & play!

Whats in the bag?
Driver = Wishon Golf 949mc 9.75*/.5* Closed Face Angle
Fairway Wood = Wishon Golf 915 F/H 16* Square Face Angle
Wood Shafts = Wishon Golf Pro Flight EXP 85g Stiff Flex
Hybrids = Wishon Golf 331H 21* & 24*Hybrid Shafts = Wishon Golf GI335 Tour Weight 92g Stiff FlexIrons = Wishon...

I would sure like to get down there!

What's in my Golf Bag:

G 10 Driver
Hibore Hybrid 2I
i10 irons 4-U Wedge. Green Dot588 52 Degree WedgeCG12 56 Degree WedgeCG10 60 Degree WedgeSabertooth Putter

I played at the Breckenridge Golf Club, I thought it was awesome. 27 holes of muni - designed by Jack Nicklaus.

Oh, it's also not a bad mountain in the winter...

I also rode a Harley with my dad and brother around the Black Canyon. Wicked awesome.

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

Canon City has a few interesting courses. I have played Four Mile Ranch and had a very enjoyable day. The group I play with also said Shadow Hills and Sumo Village are nice courses and will not break the bank.

There are two things you can do with your head down - play golf and pray. ~Lee TrevinoI Like Photography Too

My home course is Foothills GC.. decent muni and the second busiest course in the Denver area. It's a bit rough right now from the dry winter and spring aeration.

I've played many great courses around here though. Fox Hollow is an excellent 27 hole layout. Fossil Trace is fun. Riverdale Dunes (Dye Designs) is outstanding, as is Indian Peaks (Hale Irwin) in Lafayette. I've played Arrowhead (Robert Trent Jones), although not recently as the price is a bit steep. I've played Breckenridge (Jack Nicklaus) a couple of times, again not recently. Last summer I played Pole Creek and Keystone Ranch (another RTJ course)... plan on getting back to both courses again this year. Another fun course is Grand Lake... shortish course that teases you into trouble until you stop taking chances.

I loved Pole Creek, and I've always liked The Dunes course at Riverdale. And Fossil Trace is a unique course which I've only played once, but plan to do more. I know the head pro there, he used to be the head pro at Foothills.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 months later...
I'm going to resurrect this thread to bring up what an awesome challenging course Murphy Creek is.

I played it opening day and have loved it since. I played it a few days before the 2007 US Amateur there and it was *insane*. I had just come off a few rounds in the 60s on challenging championship courses and I barely broke 80 out there. The rough was just absurd and with the course mostly tipped-out, the 500 yard par 4s were killer, even with the altitude.

I also think an underrated course layout is Green Valley Ranch, though I'm persistently dissapointed with the condition - the greens always look a bit sick and there are large variations in the quality of the fairway turf. When it's in good shape, it's as nice a traditional course as there is anywhere in the state. Tipped out for the Colorado Open, it can be a pretty sick track too.

I also like the new course "CommonGround" in Aurora (the old Mira Vista). It's got HUGE fairways and even bigger greens and for a long hitter, it can be a tad easy unless you play from the tips, but from the back, it's a quality course that can be quite fun and has a great practice facility.

Around town, I've played most every other course. I like Legacy Ridge, but it has a few holes that bother me. Same with Racoon Creek (though, it's a bit short). A lot of people rate South Suburban quite high, but I just can't stand to go there and play a 6300 yard course where a large number of the patrons are only occassional golfers.

Fossil Trace is a nice course, but it's too expensive. Same goes for Arrowhead and a few other highly rated courses.

Fox Hollow has some great holes and is a good track overall (all 27 holes, though I prefer the upper course - mountain, I think it's called).

Kennedy has a great 9 holes in the "Creek" 9, but I really dislike the other two nines.

There are a few good courses up near Broomfield - Coal Creek (I think that's the name) and another.. Indian Peaks. Quality courses, if not a little on the predictable side. Neither are terribly challenging (not like Murphy Creek anyway), but are decent fun tracks.

Cherry Hills is overrated. I've played it many times and though it's generally in adaquate shape, the layout is dated and most of the holes are a bit on the quirky side given modern equipment. It needs another 600 yards of length and my Nike One Tour would shape those holes better. As it is, there are a lot of holes that simply require a 4-iron off the tee, or a massive hook on a driver. There are a few great holes, but a few really poor ones, given the modern era of the game.

Up in the mountains, Cordillera is incredible... I like Battlement Mesa as well. I haven't played Eagle, but it looks wicked, though a little bit cheezy with the elevation changes maybe being used as a gimmick on some holes. The Country Club of the Rockies is a nice track too.

I know there are some great ones on the western slope that I have never seen, but.. maybe someday.

Anyway, any thoughts?

Anyone want to play a few rounds? Let me know, I'm always willing.

Driver: 905S 8* - Graffaloy Blue 65S Shaft (tipped 1" Short)
Fairway: 960F (15*, 19*)
Irons: T-Zoid Pro 4-PW w/ True Temper Steel
Wedges: MP-R Black 52*, 56*
Lob: 60* CG-10 (nice and rusty)Putter: OZ Putter (with oversized Winn Blue Grip)Ball:: One Tour

Anyone want to play a few rounds? Let me know, I'm always willing.

I’m up for playing Murphy Creek anytime (except the weekends) drop me a line and let me know. They have a seasonal weekday deal going on now – after 1pm the round is $40 with a cart.

Not for nothing… but it was the 2008 Public Links Championship.

"Every man is his own hell" - H.L. Mencken

Note: This thread is 5434 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!