IGNORED

Jack vs. Tiger: Who's the Greatest Golfer?

sungho_kr

Greatest Golfer (GOAT)  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Tiger or Jack: Who's the greatest golfer?

• Tiger Woods is the man
    • Jack Nicklaus is my favorite

I am certain that in 5-10 years, there will be no doubt that Tiger is the greatest ever. However, today, I would rank Tiger and Jack about equal...
Driver: Titleist 909D2 9.5°, Aldila Voodoo X-flex
Hybrids: Titleist 909H 15° & 21°, Aldila Voodoo S-flex
Irons: Cobra FP II, 4I-GW, NS Pro 1030H S-flex
Wedges: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 56°/14° and 60°/4°

Tiger Woods, because I need a 3rd post, he has an excellent line of video games, and I wasn't alive in Jack's prime. Also, Jim Brown needs to stop talking.

In the blue Colts bag:

Driver - FT-5 10°
Hybrids - 4DX 15.5°, 20°
Irons/Wedges - CI-7 4-GW, SW | "Free" Warrior 60° LWPutter - TiffanyBalls - various

Personally, I don't think Jack Nicklaus ever had a great personality and I certainly never considered him a role model. He was much too cocky and from what I know about him, he reminds me of some of the arrogant golfers I used to play against in high school. I believe he once said in an interview, with regards to joining the Senior Tour, "Why would I want to play against golfers I have been beating all of my life?" or something to that effect.

I'm not saying Tiger doesn't ever lose his cool - I've seen him use a few choice words - but I believe his personality and role model qualities transcend those of Jack. As far as skill, I'd still say Tiger. I think he's playing against a much better field of players.

In a staff blue  Aerolite III

Razr Hawk 10.5* (BB 63 S)
Orig Steelhead 4W 16.8* (F)
Orig Steelhead 7W 20* (M-10)

JPX-800 Pro 4-pw (XP S300)

MP-T Blk Ni 51.06, MP-T Blk Ni 56.14, MP-T Blk Ni 58.10

Bettinardi BC-1 (34")

TM TP Black

I am not the only person who has a feeling about what Tiger has done

to the game.
Say what you want, tiger simply gets the job done, even with his tantrums you still have to love what he has done for the game!!!

This is part of an article from ESPN Magazine about Tiger and the example he sets - (especially for kids) which is part of his responsibility.

If there were no six-second delay, Tiger Woods would be the reason to invent it. Every network has been burned by having the on-course microphone open when he blocks one right into the cabbage and starts with the F-bombs. Once, at Doral, he unleashed a string of swear words at a photographer that would've made Artie Lange blush, and then snarled, "'The next time a photographer shoots a [expletive] picture, I'm going to break his [expletive] neck!" He's grown in every other way. He's committed, responsible, smart, funny, and the most talented golfer in history. I just thought we'd be over the conniptions by now. It's disrespectful to the game, disrespectful to those he plays with and disrespectful to the great players who built the game before him. Ever remember Jack Nicklaus doing it? Arnold Palmer? When Tom Watson was getting guillotined in that playoff to Stewart Cink, did you see him so much as spit? Only one great player ever threw clubs ( as an amateur no less) -- Bobby Jones -- and he stopped in his 20s when he realized how spoiled he looked.

The comment about Jack and the senior tour is way off base. He helped get the tour started, won 10 of the first 35 events and felt that other senior Pros (yes, many of whom he'd already beat) could have more of a chance in the events - for the money they could win - if he wasn't playing. A lot more classy than some arrogant high school golfers.

Tiger has benefited from not having a BEAR roaming the course on Sunday - ready to put pressure on him like he has never known. I know, Jack only had a bunch of no-names like Ben Hogan, Arnold Palmer and Sam Snead to deal with and today's fields are stronger. Nobody crumbled and fell for Jack - he had to beat them ... and he did! I say, Tiger may be the most talented. but is not the greatest golfer (one who represents the game of golf).

Driver- Tommy Armour AyrTime - High Launch
Woods- Tommy Armour 845 Metal Persimmon 3.5.7
Irons- Tommy Armour Silver Scot MB Blades 3-PW
SW - Tommy Armour R91 Chrome 56*
Putter - Tommy Armour EFT Milled Series Model 1

I wasn't alive at jack's prime so I go with tiger being the greatest golfer, also tiger can rip it further, has a better short game, and he's a built athlete, what else is their to say?

Tiger ripping it further doesn't make sense to me - Jack could rip the ball over 280 with persimmon woods and balata balls. Also, Jack is a far better sportsman than tiger has shown in my humble opinion. I have watched a ton of footage of Jack playing since he was young thru the 80's. Not once have I ever scene Jack scream a curse or slam a club into the ground or whack his bag with an iron.

Jack wins.

In my bag:
Titleist 910D2 w/Diamana Kaali'Stiff
Titleist 910F w/ Diamana Kaali' Stiff
Titleist 910F Hybrid 19 degree w/ Diamana Kaali' Stiff

Titleist AP1 Irons - TT S300
Titleist Vokey SM 50, 54 & 58 - Titleist Scott Cameron Newport

With the help of today's technology, I think Tiger Woods is the greatest in golf

x86 Bag
909D2 9.5*
Rescue Mid Hybrid 4
AP2 Irons 3-PW
TP 54* Vokey: SM 60* Circa 62 #1 Pro V1x Balls

Jack could rip the ball over 280 with persimmon woods and balata balls.

280? He drove through the green at St Andrews - over 300 yards - in about 1970. I think. that was with a persimmon driver and I'm not sure that even Balata was available, back then!

The rest of what you said, total thumbs-up.

280? He drove through the green at St Andrews - over 300 yards - in about 1970. I think. that was with a persimmon driver and I'm not sure that even Balata was available, back then!

ha thanks - I was saying 280 to be modest -

In my bag:
Titleist 910D2 w/Diamana Kaali'Stiff
Titleist 910F w/ Diamana Kaali' Stiff
Titleist 910F Hybrid 19 degree w/ Diamana Kaali' Stiff

Titleist AP1 Irons - TT S300
Titleist Vokey SM 50, 54 & 58 - Titleist Scott Cameron Newport

I am not the only person who has a feeling about what Tiger has done

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Ni...ships_.2818.29 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Sne..._championships http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Hog..._championships This is just going by majors, because I never watched any of them play, but it sounds like Jack never won a major while they were winning them. Also, you make it sound like Tiger has no competition.

A quote from Kris
...is that college bball really isn't "lower tier". The better teams have their rosters filled with guys who could play in the NBA. hell, guys used to come straight from high school to the NBA. I really don't think there's much of a difference skill-wise between the two.