IGNORED

Jack vs. Tiger: Who's the Greatest Golfer?

sungho_kr

Greatest Golfer (GOAT)  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Tiger or Jack: Who's the greatest golfer?

• Tiger Woods is the man
    • Jack Nicklaus is my favorite

After the Fedex showing tiger,

IN THE BAG-
Driver Adams 8.5 Insight XTD YSQ-65 Stiff
Nike Sumo2 3 wood
Nike Sumo2 3 hybrid
Irons Taylromade r7 Steel shaftCallaway X 60 degree wedge MD groovesPutter Scotty Cameron Newport

I am old enough to have been around to have seen both of them in their prime. Until Tiger surpasses Jack's major titles Jack will remain king. But I will say that I have Tiger do things on a course that I have seen no one else accomplish and I really enjoty watching him because you never know when one of these shots will happen. Jack also was not blessed with the kind of TV coverage that we enjoy today. As far as equipment and wether Jack would be as good as Tiger had they played at the same time with the same equipment...well that is something that we will never know. You cannot take different eras in any sport and compare them. You just remember how good your favorites were at the time.

I love Tiger's attitude. It's awesome to see so much passion out of a golfer. A lot of guys get excited, but he beats the band when he does the fist pump or points the ball into the hole. He's an excellent player, and an entertainer. To answer the question, Jack or Tiger, I'm going with Jack right now as far as the most accomplished with 18 majors, etc, but I believe Tiger will prove to be better by a fair amount in the long run.

Take care,
Ryan
ogio.gif Vision SS Bag:
cleveland.gif Launcher DST 10.5*  taylormade.gif R9 16.5* 4W
taylormade.gif Rescue Dual 19*  taylormade.gif Burner 2.0 4-PW
vokey.gif 250.08, Spin Milled 54.10, and 58.08
yesgolf.gif Callie  bridgestone.gif B330

Uh, Tiger...of course!

I just think that Tiger can do just a few more things than Jack could. Jack's favorite shot was that high fade...which he could do at will.

Tiger doesn't have a favorite shot. He does everything.

i think tiger is better. when it comes to pressure, tiger is able to beat the pressure. i'm not saying jack doesn't beat the pressure but it wasn't as good as tiger. just let me put it in this way, if tiger and jack had to make a putt for something very pressureers (thats not a word but o well) tiger would most likely make it

r7 quad tp
ignite t60 3 wood
580h 19* hybrid
irons 670
wedges 52*, spin milled 56*, 60* rosa putter daytona prov1xhome course:3 pines country clubthe carolina country club

i think tiger is better. when it comes to pressure, tiger is able to beat the pressure. i'm not saying jack doesn't beat the pressure but it wasn't as good as tiger. just let me put it in this way, if tiger and jack had to make a putt for something very pressureers (thats not a word but o well) tiger would most likely make it

I respectfully disagree. Other golfing greats (Palmer, Casper, Player, Miller, Trevino, Ballesterios and Watson) put constant pressure on Nicklaus and he more often then not came out on top. Tiger has fallen in head to head battles with the likes of Rich Beem, Zach Johnson and Anjel Cabrera.

Look at a tape of the 86' Masters - Nicklaus made everything - and then look at a tape of Tiger in this year's Masters or U.S. Open where he didn't make anything. Tiger is a great frontrunner and bully, but he rarely wins the close ones like Jack did. I think Tiger will surpass Jack eventually as the greatest player of all-time, but certainly he has a long road to go to prove he's better than Jack when another player applies the pressure.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

I'm going to have to go with Tiger. I'm too young to have witnessed what Jack did other than in old highlights. Obviously I know he was dominant in his time. Tiger, to me, is just so efficient. To achieve what he does in the smaller number of tournaments he plays is incredible. Everyone marvels at his golf skills, but I think his will, focus and desire are what make him great.
In My Bag ( Superlight 3.5):

Driver: 9.5* Burner SuperFast, Matrix Ozik XCon 4.8 Stiff
Fairway Woods: Steelhead III, Uniflex Steel (3w, 5w)
Hybrids: Big Bertha Heavenwood 4H, Uniflex SteelIrons: Victory Red Full Cavity, Stiff (5-AW)Wedges: WALTER HAGEN,...

Being "The Greatest", what comes to people's minds are accomplishments. I would say Jack Nicklaus is the greatest "so far" simply because he has the Majors record. However, Tiger Woods is on pace to become the greatest, but until he breaks Nicklaus' record, Woods, in my opinion, is simply a great player.

In my Bag:

Driver: TaylorMade r7 460 10.5° Fujikura RE/AX 60 D3 RF Graphite

3-Wood: TaylorMade r7 Ti 15° Fujikura RE/AX 60 D2 RF Graphite

3-Hybrid: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo 21° Callaway H/600 D2 RF Graphite

4-Hybrid: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo 24° Callaway H/600 D2 RF Graphite

5-9: TaylorMade RAC OS2 27° to 42° T-Step D3 RF Steel

PW: TaylorMade RAC OS2 27° to 42° T-Step D4 RF Steel

AW: TaylorMade RAC Satin 50°, 6° Bounce WF Steel

SW: TaylorMade RAC Satin 54°, 10° Bounce WF Steel

LW: TaylorMade RAC Satin 58°, 8° Bounce WF Steel

P: TaylorMade Rossa Daytona1 AGSI®+ 32” Blade

Up until age 31, Tiger is definitely better. 13 majors, 61 tournaments, 3 US Amatuers, 3 Junior Amatuers.

905R 10.5* Aldila NV 65
904F 15* Graphite Design YS-6+
NVG2 UT 17* Fujikura Triple Action
755 3-PW Trispec steel
52/08, 58/08 rac TP Wicked putter (model 1)

Between the 2, Tiger.

Personally for me it's Mr Hogan, with where he came from and what he accomplished for the game.

If it weren't for the second world war and his accident then the wins and stats may make a greater argument in his favor.

G5 driver
X 3w
Big Bertha '07 5w
MX-25 4-GW
Kite Custom 56* SW Karsten Anser 2 GROM stand bag

I have to go with Tiger. I never saw Jack play in person but I have Tiger and his swing is a work of art! Plus - it always seems to me that Tiger can win anything he *really* wants to by simply applying the correct focus and mental attention to the task.

Titleist Bias - 907D2 9.5 V2 Stiff | 906F2 15 V2 Stiff | 710MB 3-PW DG300 | 52, 56 SM Vokes | Tom Slighter - 2007 Tacoma FPR

Whenever tiger has anything close to his A game, which usually just involves him sinking a few putts, no one can compete. If he had been in Jack's era i think he would've dominated even more due to technological limitations that existed then. Big headed drivers have meant even those that aren't great drivers can still compete with those that are, which wasn't the case with persimon drivers...
In My Bag:
Driver: 905R 9.5°, UST ProForce v2 Stiff
3 Wood: 906F2, 15°, UST ProForce V2 Stiff
Hybrid: Rescue Dual TP, 19°, Mitsubishi Diamana Stiff
Irons: 735CM, 3-PW, DG S300Gap Wedge: CG12 52Sand Wedge: CG12 56Lob Wedge: Spin-Milled Vokey Oil Can 60.04Putter: 35"/330g Newport 2