IGNORED

Jack vs. Tiger: Who's the Greatest Golfer?

sungho_kr

Greatest Golfer (GOAT)  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Tiger or Jack: Who's the greatest golfer?

• Tiger Woods is the man
    • Jack Nicklaus is my favorite

Tiger, but it's close.

In my bag:

Driver: Burner Draw 9.5*
3W: X 15*
5W: X 19*Irons: 200 Series 4-PWWedges: CG11 50*, 56*, 60*Putter: Rossa Monza SpiderBall: One Black

I guess if you're comparing total careers, Jack is/was more consistent. I know Tiger's career isn't over...well, this season is

Jack is the benchmark though when you talk about golfers. After all, those are Tiger's words.

I am young so i wasn't around for jack.... but when ever i see highlights of him on golf ch. he seemed like a cool guy... plus the other week while playing golf i tried tiger-ade for the first time it's pretty gross and it made me mad thursty!!!
Driver: Tour Burner 10°5
3 wood Tight Lies 13°
Hybrid 3DX DC 23°
Irons: G5
Wedges: oversize 48°PW & 56°SWPutter: Anser 2Ball: TOURix

G'day

I'll throw a spanner in the works...... Bobby Jones.. now to back it up (& probably not very well)

has won a Grand slam

Created Augusta
Run out of arguments.... but I believe he would have been the greatest... also from a different era

I really enjoy watching Tiger play and I am also not old enough to remember Jack in his prime. It is hard to pick which is the best. It is definitely between these two, but you gotta love both

Driver TM Superquad 9.5 w/ V2 stiff
3 Wood Callaway Fusion 13 deg w/ DVS stiff
Hybrid Titleist 585H 19 deg. w/ VS Proto Hybrid 95 stiff
Irons Titleist 735CM 4-PW - Cleveland wedges 52,56,60 deg.
Putter PING CRAZ-E G2i

I hereby call for all talk on this subject to end until tiger is done with his career. Same for any great athelte whom is compared with the other greats in their sport. Tiger could die tomorrow in a car crash, hopefully not, and jack will still be better in the numbers because he won more. Tiger could not comeback from this knee injury well, and this might change his game forever making him not as good as before. Anything can happen.

Whats in my Warbird Hot Bad:

Driver: 907D1 9.5 - 65-S Aldila VS Proto --- FT-IQ coming soon?
2 Hybrid: Rescue mid-TP 16 deg
3 Hybrid: Rescue TP - HC Tour Only Model 19 deg - DG X-1004-PW: 695CB Irons - Project X 6.0Wedges Vokey SM58, Vokey SM54, Vokey 250Putter Futura PhantomWhere I WorkMy...

I am a Tiger fan but Anthony Kim is doing very well to pick up some slack in Nike golf due to Tiger being out with injury.
Currently Building Bag

Grom Stand Bag

3wood: Rescue3hybrid: BafflerIrons: 08 FP 4-GW56deg CG1460degRAC Z BlackPutterNewport 2Golf ballsNXT TourCurrently Testing Tour I & IX, Top Flite Gamer

I have family ties to Jack and can't say that until the records are beat, Tiger's the best. But come on, especially after the US Open where there was literally nothing going for him healthwise he pulled through. The man isn't human. Tiger takes the cake simply because he is.

What's in the Bag

Driver: Rapture 10.5*

3w: G10 15.5*5w: G10 18.5*3-UW i10 IronsSW: Vokey 54Putter: iWi Anser

Everybody says that Tiger does not have the competition that Jack did. And it MAY be true. But what Tiger shows every week is the utter DOMINANCE of the sport of golf and he would do the same thing if he was back in that time frame. That is what I believe.

Driver Launcher 7.5 YSQ Xshaft
2Hybrid Rescue Hybrid 17*
Irons Tour Preferred 3-PW
Wedges Vokey 52*
Wedges Vokey SM 60*Putter Abaco 33"Ball TP/Red/LDP or Penta TP

Everybody says that Tiger does not have the competition that Jack did. And it MAY be true. But what Tiger shows every week is the utter DOMINANCE of the sport of golf and he would do the same thing if he was back in that time frame. That is what I believe.

I still won't judge who's better. However, I believe Jack did have tougher competition than Tiger does today. I mean, Jack had to deal with Palmer, Player, Casper, Trevino, Miller, Floyd, Watson etc. Compared to Mickelson, Els, Singh, Duval, Adam Scott who seem to be the closest challengers to Tiger? Tiger's winning because there's no competition for him. Although this is true, even Tiger himself says Jack's the greatest of all time.

CPGA Member
Eagles Nest Golf Club
Toronto Highlands Golf

Oh, BTW. To those who think Tiger's win at Torrey was impressive because of the knee injury, it was, period.

BUT, have you heard of Ben Hogan's 1950 U.S. Open win at Merion? He was in the same, if not more pain than Tiger was. Sad to see how people forget the greats of yesterday for their heroic wins. Tiger's win was great, but I presume Mr. Hogan's was greater.

CPGA Member
Eagles Nest Golf Club
Toronto Highlands Golf

Sorry, but I will NOT vote. In my opinion, we cannot rate ANYONE as the "Greatest Golf of All Time". To do so, we would have to get Old Tom Morris, his son, Young Tom, Harry Vardon (6 Open Championship and a US Open Championship), James Braid, JH Taylor, Walter Hagen, Bobby Jones, Gene Sarazen, Byron Nelson, Sam Snead, Ben Hogan, etc. on the same golf course, in their PRIME, using the same equipment and balls, and have them play a 72 hole stroke event. THAT would determine the "Greatest MALE Golfer of All Time".
To make it the "Greatest Golfer of All Time", we would have to add Joyce Wethered (Bobby Jone said that she had the BEST swing he ever saw--male or female), Mickey Wright (Ben Hogan said that she had the BEST swing her ever saw), Kathy Whitworth, Babe Didrikson Zaharias (the Greatest Athlete to also be a Golf Champion), Nancy Lopez, Annika, etc to have the men AND the women prove their worth.

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

Sorry, but I will NOT vote. In my opinion, we cannot rate ANYONE as the "Greatest Golf of All Time". To do so, we would have to get Old Tom Morris, his son, Young Tom, Harry Vardon (6 Open Championship and a US Open Championship), James Braid, JH Taylor, Walter Hagen, Bobby Jones, Gene Sarazen, Byron Nelson, Sam Snead, Ben Hogan, etc. on the same golf course, in their PRIME, using the same equipment and balls, and have them play a 72 hole stroke event. THAT would determine the "Greatest MALE Golfer of All Time".

great post, don't forget francis quimet, never turned pro and therefore gave honor to the purest intentions of the game

They will beat their swords into golf clubs and their spears into putters. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore. Old Tom Morris 2:4

I'm surprised this is still a debate after this week.

I offer this thought for consideration in terms of playing through excruciating PAIN: after Ben Hogan almost lost his life in the head on collision where he threw himself in front of his wife, and not only saved her life, but prevented her from being seriously injured, he was told he may never walk again, and would not play Championship golf. Being determined, he played and walked the rest of his career, from 1949 to 1966, and had to wrap his legs and endure tremendous pain in his legs and hips.

He won all four of his United States Opens AFTER the accident. In 1953, he could play in only six tournaments and won five of the six for a winning percentage of .8333. He played in three Majors, the Masters, the United States Open, and his one and only Open Championship (aka the British Open) and WON ALL THREE! He is the only golfer in history to win those three in the same calendar year. The schedule of the Open Championship meant that he could NOT play in the PGA Championship and his legs would not let him anyway, since it was still match play at the time. In 1960, when Arnie won his one and only US Open at Cherry Hills, Hogan played with Jack Nicklaus and both were in contention until the last hole. Hogan unchararteristically hit his third shot fat, due to the pain in his legs, and he could not catch Arnie. He stands alone not only for his records, but playing through pain that could not be relieved by surgery.

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind