IGNORED

Jack vs. Tiger: Who's the Greatest Golfer?

sungho_kr

Greatest Golfer (GOAT)  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Tiger or Jack: Who's the greatest golfer?

• Tiger Woods is the man
    • Jack Nicklaus is my favorite

Didn't get a chance to see Jack in his prime.

Have to go with Tiger

Slowly building my set.

In my Vaporlite Bag:

Driver: SQ DYMO STR-8 FIT 10.5°Woods: R9 Fairway #3 15°Hybrid: Rescue Hybrid #3 19°Irons: R7 3-PWWedges: 588 DSG Gunmetal 56° Spin Milled 260.08Putter: Black Series Tour #2

Tiger all the way. Much more skill.

Getting better........

What's in my Cart bag:

983k 10.5* driver, Reg flex graphite 904f 15* fairway wood, Reg flex Graphite Cobra SSI Irons 3-PWTA900 52* wedgeTA588 56* wedgeSeemore FGP2 custom putter w/ a Winn urban camo gripGolf Pride Tour Wrap gripsHome Courses:Horseshoe Bay: Ramrock, ...

If you combined the age thread with this tread you would probably find a trend.

My interest in golf began 35 years ago. Tiger is the man.

Cart Bag: AMP Xtreme
Driver: 460
3 Wood | 5 Wood: Diablo
Irons: (3-8) X18 | X Forged 9 & P
Wedges: X Forged 52 (12) | 58 (10) C-Grind Putter: Anser 4 i SeriesBall: Burner1978 - 93 - All Time Best - 84 or12 over in 1991.1994 - 2008 - Inactive2008 - Present - All Time Best 96 or 24...

I did witness Jack's play and he was amazing but to me, there is no question that Tiger is the best I have ever seen.

May 2009: Back into golf after 5 yr layoff, lovin' it! Best ever hdcp: +1.2
Driver: Titleist 983E 9.5*, 3W: Turner 13*, Hybrid: Turner 16*, Irons 4-PW: Taylormade RAC MB blades, Wedges: Cleveland Tour Action RTG, Putter: Odyssey White Steel Tri-ball SRT

Tiger all the way. Much more skill.

Who's better Jack or Tiger - who knows but Tiger

much more skill - No Friggin' Way.

Tiger all the way! He has way more power.

It's amazing how little the younger generation knows about Jack!

Here's a man that could accurately drive the ball 300 yards back in the 60's when the average golfer hit it 200 yards off the tee. Today the average golfer with the aid of technology can hit it 225-230 yards off the tee and Tiger hits it 325-330(when he can find the fairway)! Jack would have absolutely no problem at all staying up with Tiger, and may have been even a bit longer!

In My Bag:
Driver: :Cobra Amp Cell Pro 9.5*, Stock X-Flex

3 Wood: :Cobra Bio Cell 16*, Stock X-Flex

5 Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 20*, Stock S-Flex
Irons: Bridgestone J40-CB 3-PW, Project-X 6.0

Gap Wedge::Vokey: 52* CNC  

Sand Wedge: :Vokey: 58* CNC  

Putters: Scotty Cameron Newport II 

Ball: Bridgestone 330-S(2014)

There's no real way to compare, but I'll go with Jack.

A quote from Kris
...is that college bball really isn't "lower tier". The better teams have their rosters filled with guys who could play in the NBA. hell, guys used to come straight from high school to the NBA. I really don't think there's much of a difference skill-wise between the two.

It is difficult to determine right now because Tiger has so much of his career
still to go. If you take Jack and his career at age 32 and Tiger now at 32.
I feel Tiger has been superior to Jack over this span. Jack went on to have
a long career and continued to win majors into his 40's so only time will tell
if Tiger will be able to match Jack from here on out. Personally I always thought that the best golfer over an extended period of time was Sam Snead
but because he didn't win a great number of majors. He seems to be forgotten when the name of best all time golfers comes up.

padraig harringtons mine!!! lol!!!
oliver wilson is one for the future trust me!!

What's In My :: 9" Lightweight Stand Bag

R9 9.5 Degree Stiff Motore 65g
G10 3-Wood v2 Proforce High Launch Stiff
R7 Draw Rescue 3 + 4 Irons i15 green dot, + 1/2 inch- 5-PW 54+60 SM Tour Chrome Studio Style Newport 2 35 inch NXT Tour BallHome Course: http://www.ruffordpark.co.uk

padraig harrington!! lol!!

pliver wilson one for future also!! trust me!!

What's In My :: 9" Lightweight Stand Bag

R9 9.5 Degree Stiff Motore 65g
G10 3-Wood v2 Proforce High Launch Stiff
R7 Draw Rescue 3 + 4 Irons i15 green dot, + 1/2 inch- 5-PW 54+60 SM Tour Chrome Studio Style Newport 2 35 inch NXT Tour BallHome Course: http://www.ruffordpark.co.uk

Tiger will surpass Jack, if most dont think he has already.//

Whats in my Ozone stand bag

Driver: SQ Sumo² Square 10.5°
3 wood : SQ Sumo² 15°
Irons : AP2 3-PWWedge: RAC 52°Wedge: Vokey Oil Can 58°Putter: Rossa Monte Carlo

It is difficult to determine right now because Tiger has so much of his career

Being that Mr. Snead was the head pro just down the road from where I was born I have to agree that Snead was just a couple Majors away from really making things interesting. Either way, Snead is one of the greatest players to ever tee it up! At this point in Tiger's career I would put Snead ahead of him!

1) Jack Nicklaus 2) Bobby Jones 3) Harry Vardon 4) Ben Hogan 5) Walter Hagen 6) Byron Nelson 7) Old Tom Morris 8) Sam Snead 9) Tiger Woods 10) Tom Watson I got Tiger just cracking the top ten of all time in my book! When you take into account travel and all things that a player had to endure during thier time period(Depressions, World Wars....ect) I would say Tiger has had it the easiest of my top ten and that's part of his lower rating. Due to a lot of these factors the other great players had to play against stronger competition in thier time! Guy's weren't playing for millions back then like they do today meaning if you don't play well then you may not eat that week. Quite a bit different than today's tour!

In My Bag:
Driver: :Cobra Amp Cell Pro 9.5*, Stock X-Flex

3 Wood: :Cobra Bio Cell 16*, Stock X-Flex

5 Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 20*, Stock S-Flex
Irons: Bridgestone J40-CB 3-PW, Project-X 6.0

Gap Wedge::Vokey: 52* CNC  

Sand Wedge: :Vokey: 58* CNC  

Putters: Scotty Cameron Newport II 

Ball: Bridgestone 330-S(2014)

Jack Nicklaus was a better overall golfer, he might not have hit the ball as far as Tiger Woods but I think as a bloke he was a better person. (Not that I actually know either of them).

Brian

Ping Eye 2 Beryllium Copper irons
Cobra S9.1 10.5 degree driver
Cobra 23 degree baffler
Yes Sandy putter

No question it's Jack for me, great memories of watching Jack at the masters with my dad, and it's hard not to choose the guy who'se clubs you first learned to swing with. Gotta love those Jack Blades, when I just started out hitting a 3 iron blade, I would feel it all the way up my arm on a miss hit.

I was never a Jack fan (I liked Arnie, and Lee, and Gary better) and did not warm to his personality and demeanor. I don't even like his classic swing, but it surely is a thing of beauty. I have no doubt he would have been just as long as today's blasters if he used the same clubs and balls used today. Unless you played persimmon, balata, and those old irons, there is no way for you to know how difficult it was to control the ball as Jack controlled it He dominated his era and overpowered the ball when needed. But what set him apart is very much what sets Tiger apart -- when his steel will to win kicked in, he was an unstoppable force. His record stands today.

It is pointless to compare athletes of different eras because so much changes but the question for me comes down to what a person does over his career. Jack was unique in his entire career. Tiger has had periods of dominance and is consistently near the top when he does not win. Tiger has clearly dominated his era during a time with a faster, larger, and more complete media coverage -- golf is a vastly different game today. There is no doubt of Tiger's superior talent. It could well be that Tiger becomes the greatest golfer ever over a long career -- but we do not know that yet. Until the next decade unfolds, I do not see how I can select Tiger over Jack. Since I personally like Tiger's golf better, I hope he does become the greatest ever -- but until he has actually accomplished what Jack accomplished, then I have to give the nod to Jack -- based on reality versus impression and hope.

RC

Unfortunately I wasn't alive to see Jack play in his prime but it has certainly been a pleasure to watch Tiger throughout his. Of course that makes me a little biased but Tiger is still the Man!!!