IGNORED

Jack vs. Tiger: Who's the Greatest Golfer?

sungho_kr

Greatest Golfer (GOAT)  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Tiger or Jack: Who's the greatest golfer?

• Tiger Woods is the man
    • Jack Nicklaus is my favorite

if Jack and Tiger squared off for 20 years in todays tour, i would say tiger, but the tour of yesteryear would have to go to jack...

tiger started out playing persimon woods so he could adapt..Tiger changed his game and swing to take advantage of the technology. Also in the '70's the tour courses were 6,500 yards so 260 yds is todays 310. The big advantage Jack always gets is his driving ability is regarded as superior and Tigers short game (except putting) is considered superior.

I think Tiger could adapt to persimon easier than Jack could improve his short game...Putting is a push. I think Tiger would win out in both eras.

• 2 weeks later...
I did say Tiger earlier....but Jack played against better gunslingers. If and when TW beats the major record, then he's the best...majors are the measuring stick. period.

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

Tiger has to surpass Jack's major wins in order to be considered the best of all time. But I don't think it will be long before that happens. I just hope Tiger stops embarrassing the game of golf with his behavior.

Driver - FT-iQ
4 Wood - G10
Irons - MX-200
Wedges - 52,56,60
Putter - Bettinardi Ball - ProV1Bag - HooferMy Course - Magnolia Creek Golf Links

I grew up playing with and against Tiger in So Cal junior golf....i have a healthy respect for him. But Jack is the man...always will be and nothing Tiger does will take away from what Jack did to establish the world of golf. I think Tiger needs to think about that part more.

Jack is the best by far...Even if tiger passes his 18 majors, Jack still finished 2nd 19 times in majors, top 3 46 times....this list goes on for awhile. In golf its not strictly about wins, you have to look at the field as well. Its the same way the points for the world golf standings are computed.

Thats like comparing baseball in the 50's with now...you cannot...different age, different course difficulty..let's face it...today is the power game..back then it was much more strategic. I would say that Ben Hogan would be a God if he played today....Tiger will never be that ...no matter how many majors he wins..ahh Golf...the last gentleman sport is going to be extinct soon...

No doubt Tiger is best of all time..! The courses are tougher these days, his competition is better, sure Jack had a few good players to compete with him, but not the number that Tiger has, the skill level of playes these days far out weighs the old days and futher more he can beat guys with his B game..! When he's on his A game forget about it, no one even comes close..!

In my TaylorMade Catalina cart bag
TaylorMade Burner Superfast 2.0 TP 8.5*
Cobra Baffler Pro 18* Aldila NV Hybrid Stiff
TaylorMade 300 Forged 3-PW Rifle Flighted 6.0 Stiff
Cleavland 691 Tour Action 52* CG10 58*All wraped in Itomic Tacki-mac grips Oddesy White Hot #4 cut down to 33 1/2" Tempest...

I'd say Tiger is the greatest to ever play the game. As mentioned above, the courses are crazy tough, long, fast greens, everything about the courses are tougher. He wins on such a consistent basis, he's scary good.

To me it seems clear cut. Jack is the greatest, until Tiger can win more majors. That doesn't mean Tiger isn't more popular than Jack was in his prime. I just think the title of "greatest" is based solely on results.

I'm not sure how many times it's been brought up (I may have even done it myself), but the wording of the original choices seems odd to me.

Do you think Tiger Woods is "the man", or do you think Jack Nicklaus is "your favourite".

Well . . . yes (both) and neither.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

In light of recent events, I think a lot of people's opinions may or may not have changed. Personally, I didn't get the opportunity to watch Jack in his prime as much as Tiger. Comparing the two is sort of like comparing baseball/football teams from different eras. If you match the two of them up in their prime, who would reign supreme? No one will ever know for sure and provides a great forum for debate.

I may not be able to comment on who the better golfer is, but I can comment on who I'd like my son to emulate as a role model in his life ... Jack Nicklaus.