IGNORED

New to golf, got a noob question

Note: This thread is 5504 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm looking to pick up golf as a serious hobby because my friends introduced me to it and really enjoyed playing. Just wondering if most pro shops will let you demo the club before buying them? What i mean is, if I'm looking to buy a new hybrid club, can I go in and pick up a couple to try out and then return them the next day? Will these clubs have to be used or can you take "new" clubs out of the store also? Thanks for the help guys.

Driver: 975D 9.5
3 Wood: 975F 14.5
2 Hybrid: 909H 19
Irons: 3-PW VR Split Cavity
Wedges: VR 52/10 & 56/10Putter: White Hot Tour #1Ball: ONE Platinum/Tour

Well, usually or at least my club pros, are kinda stingy, but they usually have a few demo clubs(older models tho), so i would suggest going to your local PGA superstore or any golf store(Golfsmith, Edwen Watts, etc) and with todays technology, almost all of them have simulators. A few brands to try are titleist, taylormade, and adams. There are also alot other great brands, but those are just a few that got good ratings, so happy shopping :)

Driver: 909 D3
3 Wood: 909 F3 13
Rescue: 909 17
Irons: AP2 3-PW
Wedges 58 degree and 52 Spin Milled (oil can) Newport 2(custom shop):taylormade: TP Penta 4-Under Golf Bag (Red/White)

Edwin Watts will let you take them home but they will put a hold on your credit card for the amount of the club. If you want it, buy it - otherwise return it and they take the hold off.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If they won't let me try it first, I won't buy it there. Kind of like buying a car without them letting you test drive it first.

Ping G 410 10.5 ˚ Driver Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 14.5˚ 3 Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 19˚ Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
i 500 irons 4-UW 1/2 inch over, blue dot, NS Pro Modus 105 Stiff Shafts
Ping Stealth Wedges Wedges  54˚ 58˚

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 34" 

Some course pro shops will let you take a set out and play a round (you just put a deposit down). Contrary to what many people think, you can get a good deal from some on-course pro shops as they will sometimes give you good a discount, as well as fit you (of course, some pro shops seem to have no interest in selling anything as they jack up the prices and will not deal with anyone).

Another option I have done is to go to a retailer that also deals with used golf clubs. If they have a used set like you are interested in you can purchase them with a 30 day return policy at which point they will give you credit for that price. This is good if they have a used set that you were thinking of buying new (condition not real important in this case), you can try them and if you like them you'll be out no money. I have done this with a couple of clubs over the years and ended up buying new of what I was 'testing', or in some cases it helped me eliminate that set/club from my list of choices. They usually do not give cash back, but if you are going to buy anyway you'll be out now money.
Driver: SQ DYMO STR8-Fit
4 Wood: SQ DYMO
2H (17*), 4H (23*) & 5H (26*): Fli-Hi CLK
Irons (5-6): MX-900; (7-PW): MP-60
Wedges (51/6*): MP-T Chrome; (56/13): MP-R ChromePutter: White Hot XG 2-Ball CSPreferred Ball: e5+/e7+/B330-RXGPS Unit: NEOPush Cart: 2.0

Some course pro shops will let you take a set out and play a round (you just put a deposit down). Contrary to what many people think, you can get a good deal from some on-course pro shops as they will sometimes give you good a discount, as well as fit you (of course, some pro shops seem to have no interest in selling anything as they jack up the prices and will not deal with anyone)

absolutely. i used to think shops were more expensive...but when I started browsing the shops before rounds when i've been waiting for people, some have really good deals.

my friend got her 3 & 4 hybrids for like 160 (forgot what kind.. they were TM though 2 years ago.) one of the local shops here have a deal on tour edge clubs and they've got incentives on this year's clubs... but definitely ask to take it out for the round. I remember they let Cherl take the hybrids out for the round before she bought them.
DJ Yoshi
Official DJ: Rutgers Football
Boost Mobile Tour
In My Bag
HiBoreXL 9.5 White Board D63 Stiff Exotics CB2 5 Wood, Exotics CB3 3 Wood MP-60 5.5 Flighted Shafts 54 & Cleveland CG-10 60 Newport 2

If they won't let me try it first, I won't buy it there. Kind of like buying a car without them letting you test drive it first.

How about those Habs Saturday night!!

G10 Draw 13.5* 44 " Driver
K15 7 Wood
G10 28* 5 Hybrid
G10 orange dot 6I -PW
Tour W 56* SW 1/2 Craz-e i series putter 4 Under Stand Bag

Private clubs will sometimes have playable demos that you can take out to the course. But ive found its rare (never really) that a public course pro-shop will allow you to demo a club at all. Old modles or new. The demos they do get in are usually regripped and sold with the rest of the equipment. You're best option is go to one of the larger retailers that have a simulator and see how the numbers work out for you. Dont listen to the workers in the stores, most of the time, they dont know WTH they are talking about. If you've been working with a pro that would be the best thing because you'll have an idea of what you need and what to look for before you walk in.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

I agree with most peopl on here. The private clubs will usually let you play with some sets. Public courses are unlikely to do so.

Golf stores usually have a policy that if it's been played, it's yours.

It's also hard to jusge how you like a club just from hitting into a net. You're better off playing outdoors.

Also, see what your buddies are playing and ask to hit their clubs while out on the course.

Good Luck and welcome to the most loveable frustrating game you'll ever play.

"Golf and sex are about the only things you can enjoy without being good at."
Jimmy Demaret

What's In My Bag: FT-i 9* Stiff Flex R5 Dual 5w Reg Flex Halo 3 Hybrid 18* Burner 4 Hybrid 22* Burner 5 Hybrid 25* G2 iron Blue Dot Reg Flex Graphite Shafts 6-W Vokey Wedges 52* and 56*

Note: This thread is 5504 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!