IGNORED

U.S. Open set up for Winged Foot

tartanjack
Note: This thread is 6564 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Had a chance last week to hear David Fay, executive director of the USGA, talk about their goals for the course set up at Winged Foot. Turns out lightning fast greens are not necessarily on the agenda, although their target speed of 11 is still plenty fast. Instead, they'll be looking to make the greens as hard as a rock. The rationale, I think, is that they don't want a repeat of Shinnecock where the greens were un-puttable. But they also don't want shots from the rough to hold the green. Overall, a better strategy in my opinion. I've played there a number of times and it's like Bethpage Black after a trip to the beauty parlor. It's long and super tough with many elevated greens and difficult to access pin positions.

Green speed on these old classic courses is something I've been thinking about. Last week I played a Tillinghast course called Alpine. The club president made a point about how they'd restored the greens to their original configuration. They were putting conservatively at about 13. One guy I played with had to chip the ball two feet to the green to get to the hole about 10 feet away. He missed his mark by a foot. His next shot was from 70 yards away down the fairway. Tillinghast and Ross and the others weren't building greens for such speed and I can understand how clubs want speedy greens to protect their ratings. But I think the need for speed has gotten out of hand in too many instances. It's sure going to be interesting to see how Winged Foot plays.

Jack Waddell
The Sand Trap .com

In My Bag (for now):TaylorMade Burner 9.5 REAX 50 stiffBobby Jones 3W, Fuji TP 26.3 stiffAdams Idea Pro 2, 3, 4 Iron hybrids, Aldila VS Proto stiffAdams Idea Pro Forged 5-PW, TT Black Gold stiffTitleist Vokey 252.08 Tour ChromeTitleist Vokey Spin Milled 58.08...

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think the "hard green / slow surface" paradigm is a good one. Shinnecock was ridiculous and Johnny Miller has said that slower greens actually reveal the best putters because you actually have to strike the ball with some force and not just tap it on line. I'm excited for the Open big time. Good luck to everyone here attempting to qualify.

Jeff Gladchun

In my bag:
Driver: TaylorMade R7 Quad, 9.5°, Aldila NV
3 Wood: Titleist 904F, 15°, YS-6+ StiffIrons: Titleist 695CB 3-PWWedges: Titleist Vokey 252.08, SM56.10 SM60.08Putter: Odyssey White Steel #5 Center-ShaftBall: TaylorMade TP Black / Titleist ProV1xHome Course: Oakland Hills...

What do you think an "average" green speed is? I'm guessing around 9-10.

I think this is the way to "Tiger Proof" a course. Make it so fairways are a must, not just length. I know it is a long course, but this does help accurate players and great iron players contend. I hope the intended setup of the greens works.
In The Bag
Ping Rapture 10.5* Aldila Proto 65-S
Sonartec SS 3.5 19* 5W Fuji Tour Platform Stiff
Mizuno MP-30 3-PW
Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54.10*, 60.04*Odyssey White Hot 2 BallTitleist Pro V1x

• Administrator
They're also going to "graduate" the rough: fairway, then 2 yards of intermediate rough (1.25" or so), then 6-8 or yards on either side of thicker stuff, then the really thick stuff from there on out. They also plan to keep spectators back a little so the wild tee shots don't find easy, trampled-down lies.

I still think the PGA is actually the fairest of the majors. The rough isn't too thick, the greens aren't too hard or fast, the conditions aren't too horrible....

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I know that these courses are tough and all...but its a major...it is supposed to be the thoughest tournament of the tournaments...lengthening the course...w/e...but widening the fairways? slowing the greens? that seems like just another tournament to me :(...my opinion.
What's In The Bag?

Driver - Rapture 10.5 Epic 68g X-Pure - Balance Certified
Fairway Metal - Titleist PT 18°
Irons - Mizuno MP-67 3-PW Project X 6.0 Wedges - Mizunos R Series Chrome 52°, 56°, 58° Project X 6.0 Putter - Yes! C-Groove Callie-f - Balance Certified Bag - Ping Freestyle...

Note: This thread is 6564 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!