IGNORED

Black golfers question whether Tiger should do more for his race?

flap
Note: This thread is 5436 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I don't believe I am going down that road. Do you see people telling Phil/Freddie/Kenny to donate more and to help out more in the community? No you don't because people make it a big deal that a black/asian golfer is a phenom rather than it being a white person. Some of the media and those around the media treat this world like we are still separated based on color, intellect, or where you sit on the bus. I think it is stereotypical to blame a minority for never helping out enough more than it is to blame a white person for not giving enough. Maybe you think I am going down that road, but in my mind I am putting myself out there to say what others do not want to because they feel like they are close to that line.

Your original post was an example of the very stereotyping you claim to be against, so add hypocritical to the borderline (if not actual, by definition, I'm trying to be kind) racist remarks.

One person has allegedly made a remark about Tiger, not "people" and not the kind of crap you were talking about, and nobody here even has the actual quote. Because that person was African-American you spouted a bunch of overgeneralized nonsense. I think I'd stay away from the topic altogether if I were you, or maybe have Jimmy the Greek help with the responses if you want to keep having a go at it.

909D3 (Voodoo, stiff)
King Cobra Comp 5w (YS 5.1 Stiff)
AP1 4,5; AP2 6-P; Vokey 252 08, SM56 14, SM60 08 (Nippon N.S. Pro 950GH Regular)
Newport 2 Mid Slant

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a discussion on ESPN this morning concerning Tiger and if he is doing enough for black golfers. A couple of up and coming black golfers said he should be doing more. They played a previously recorded reply by Tiger stating that he is trying to help minorities though his Foundation and that he is more concerned with trying to help them develop into being productive citizens. Which I thought was a good answer.

Golf is an expensive sport. No way around that. It's just not easy to fund free golf programs for children through their teen years. I live in a small town and we do have a 1st Tee program here. That is a help for many. And we do have clinics at my private club that are free for kids. But as you know, golf is something that requires many hours of practice through out a person's childhood and teen years. How can you make that free all those years? Our club barely breaks even every year and some years don't. We did give one black kid a free membership as his dad died of a heart attack. He was our greenskeeper. But unfornatenly, you just can't give many free memberships away. Clubs wouldn't survive.

Sub 70 849 9* driver

:callaway:  Rogue 3 & 5 woods, Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids

:tmade: SIM 2 6-gap irons

:cobra:  King snakebite grove wedges 52 & 58*

:ping: Heppler ZB3 putter

tiger does things for all races and hes not goin too focus on only one race. he is only 1/8 african american anyways so the most he can do for that race is just claim that he is part black. but these days anyways everyone sees either white or black and if they have both races in them then they are black but hes lucky because he can claim to be either white, black, american indian, thai, and i think theres one more race in him but i cant remember. but he does have a lot of charity programs and the tiger learning center so hes doing so much as it is right now and these people dont need to get selfish about it.
Driver: Taylormade R9
fairway wood: Cleveland Launcher 15 degree
hybrid: titleist 585 17
irons: Taylormade mb tp smoke 3-pw
wedges: Titleist vokey wedgesputter:sc ss newport 2, 34"Bag: ping vantage bag(team bag)

Wow.. Difficult topic to tackle. Seems like discussions like this almost always spark a fight and by reading the thread so far it has not fallen short of my expectations. Should Tiger do more to help the African American population? I'll ask this question of those golfers, Why should race have a darn thing to do who he helps? I did a little research and the Tiger Woods foundation helps kids and young adults of all ethnic backgrounds all over the United States. He does a lot with scholarships and education through his foundation. Should I be upset because he's an American and yet his foundation has no head quarters in the Midwest? No. He does work through his foundation where he can and that is good enough in my opinion. But could some please explain to me how saying because someones skin is a certain color that that should dictate how much they should help a particular section of the population. Personally I think this topic is disgusting.

And I think people need to quit confusing prejudice with racist. Use a dictionary and look them up.

Clubs:
Driver: Ping Rapture 10.5 degree, Stiff Flex shaft
Fairway Wood: Ping Rapture 17* - Stiff Shaft
Hybrids: Callaway Heaven Wood 20* Firm Flex
Irons: Titleist 704 CB (Forged) (4-PW), Dynamic Gold S300 ShaftsWedges: Titleist Vokey 52 and 58 degreePutter: Odessy White Hot XG Model #1Bag: Ping HooferBa...

So, what happened was:

1. ESPN trots this out Masters week, interesting.

2. One player, Stephen Reed ways Tiger "owes us an attachment to his dream" and suggests that Tiger doesn't put enough personal involvement into helping young African American golfers that may be benefitting from programs Tiger has created. Beyond that nothing constructive suggested about just what Tiger should be doing.

3. Another player, Tim O'Neal doesn't say Tiger owes him anything.

4. Walter Payton's older brother who is a golf coach at Jackson State is more generally frustrated with golf in general, but also has made it clear he is most upset (that may be a little strong) with Woods for not embracing or emphasizing his African American heritage to help African American golfers (i.e., he wants him to get off the multicultural aspect and basically say "hey, I'm black because most people think I am"). A little more of a political bias in his approach.

Reed sounds like he's just whining. O'Neal has had some close shaves with getting his card. I liked Dr. J's take, which was that professional sports sort out those who can perform.

It was O'Neal who missed the putt that would have gotten him his Tour card in 2004, if he'd made it he would have got his card. It's that simple, and he isn't complaining that there is some institutional conspiracy holding him back.

If Reed played better, period, he'd have a card on one of the several Tours he has tried to qualify for. He's got nothing to whine about.

I think Tiger's focus with his foundation is appropriate, realistic and does the greatest amount of long term good. Think how much more complaining there would be if he had just set up the Tiger Woods' Golf Academy -- not much of a legacy there.

If Tiger's achievements and force of presence aren't causing the long term changes in whatever socioeconomic issues are preventing development of young African American golfers, I don't think he should have to or needs to answer for that.

909D3 (Voodoo, stiff)
AP1 4,5; AP2 6-P; Vokey 252 08, SM56 14, SM60 08 (Nippon N.S. Pro 950GH Regular)
Newport 2 Mid Slant

Excuse me if I am wrong but wasn't Tigers father Africian american?William 611 said he is only 1/8 african american and that does not add up.I agree with most of what Flanagan says even if he thought I was making it all up.Then again he seems to not belive anything I post when it comes to tiger.

In my new FT carry bag
FT-9 Tour nuetral 9.5
FT-15 degree 3 wood
Fussion Hybrids #2&4
Fussion irons with Grapholoy Pro launch Red shafts56&60 Cally X forged wedges with Red shaftsSG9 putterCally I ballBushnell Meadealist range finder

Excuse me if I am wrong but wasn't Tigers father Africian american?William 611 said he is only 1/8 african american and that does not add up.

Tiger's father was 1/2 Black, 1/4 Native American, and 1/4 Chinese. His mother is 1/2 Thai, 1/4 Chinese, and 1/4 Dutch. So putting it all together makes Tiger 1/4 Black, 1/4 Thai, 1/4 Chinese, 1/8 Native American, and 1/8 Dutch.

I don't know how all the lineage sorts itself out, but it does put Tiger in a no win situation with some. Politically, there are those, ala Payton, that want Tiger to be an African American first and foremost. At the same time, that is not all of who he is and he is very sensitive to that, not in a negative way, but in a "don't put me in too narrow of a box" way, because he doesn't limit his good works to only one segment of the minority community.

His answer that life is more than golf and he wants to help develop leaders through his foundation, is an excellent, and I believe, sincere answer.

909D3 (Voodoo, stiff)
Newport 2 Mid Slant

Excuse me if I am wrong but wasn't Tigers father Africian american?William 611 said he is only 1/8 african american and that does not add up.I agree with most of what Flanagan says even if he thought I was making it all up.Then again he seems to not belive anything I post when it comes to tiger.

You can't be referring to getting called out for misrepresenting Tiger's time at Stanford, can you? I'd get over that. Now you know he was there 2 years and how to find that information. No big deal.

Feel free to let me know if any of the above is incorrect. I've got no problem with that. I wasn't getting any specifics, so went to ESPN's website and viewed the videos of the player interviews, the print article, etc. just to get the context. That's a very brief summary of what's on there and it's interesting to watch, to a point, but still comes off as ESPN trying to stir the pot a bit, more than get into any real solutions.

909D3 (Voodoo, stiff)
Newport 2 Mid Slant

He's multiracial. Therefore, from a logic perspective, he should be doing for all and not just one. By asking to categorize himself as one thing, it does a disservice to his family, his upbringing and the efforts of his foundation.

If Walter Payton's brother has a problem with golf, he should address it with the USGA. Tiger Woods, while being the best player on the planet, plays on the PGA Tour. The PGA and the USGA are not one and the same. If he has some frustrations, address it with the USGA. Contrary to popular belief, although Tiger moves the needle, he does not control the world of golf.

If the golfer wants Tiger to "do more", please list what those things are. Otherwise, keep your mouth shut. Don't air complaints without airing solutions. Anyone can complain.

Flanagan-Neudi's post was not racist. I live in New York. Most athletes of color can never do enough and can't ever catch a break. I'm constantly hearing how Derek Jeter is not "black enough", how Arod "only" donated $500,000 to a Boys and Girls Club, how Manny Ramirez rarely comes back to NY.

The question that those that have issue with Tiger should be asking is:

What am I going to do about it?

Tiger has maximized his ability to hard work and more importantly, keeping his eye on the prize. Instead of wasting his talent, he's living his dream.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

i never understood the need for the public in general to see entertainers(hollywood) and sports stars(athletes) as activists/role models... sure they might have the means whether it be money or media exposure but come on... if you wanna have someone make a difference... pay more attention to something that you can actually influence... like going out an voting... writing letters to ppl that are decision makers... etc etc etc... stop looking at ppl that are "famous" and thinking they "should" do things for others just due to their "fame"... no wonder half the politicians are corrupt cuz ppl dont care about what they are doing until they get caught doing something bad... they are too busy caring about "famous" ppls business than taking care of their own
RUSS's avg drive - 230yrds and climbing

He's multiracial.

I've gone back and read it again and I think I TOTALLY MISINTERPRETED THE FIRST COUPLE OF SENTENCES AND THEREFORE WAS COMPLETELY AND TOTALLY WRONG AND APOLOGIZE PROFUSELY FOR THAT. Not hitting the caps to be silly, just wanting to draw attention to the fact that I took the original post a completely different way than it is clear he meant it to be taken. Sorry, it took reading this post to get me to see that, should have figured it out before. Put me in the Jimmy the Greek, Al Campanis put foot in mouth club (just not for the same reasons!).

909D3 (Voodoo, stiff)
Newport 2 Mid Slant

I don't believe I am going down that road. Do you see people telling Phil/Freddie/Kenny to donate more and to help out more in the community? No you don't because people make it a big deal that a black/asian golfer is a phenom rather than it being a white person. Some of the media and those around the media treat this world like we are still separated based on color, intellect, or where you sit on the bus. I think it is stereotypical to blame a minority for never helping out enough more than it is to blame a white person for not giving enough. Maybe you think I am going down that road, but in my mind I am putting myself out there to say what others do not want to because they feel like they are close to that line.

Please note above remarks.

909D3 (Voodoo, stiff)
Newport 2 Mid Slant

I hate to be blunt but this would be the same as me complaining about basketball and that lets say....steve nash a caucasian player doesn't do enough for the minority in the sport

Chris Nunes,17 yrs old

In My Bag:
Woods:Nike Sasquatch Tour Model (Driver), Nike Sumo 3 wood
Irons: Callaway X-Forged (Project X 6.0)Wedge: Callaway C Grind 58 degree,Titleist Volkey 54 degree (oil can)Putter Cleveland Classic 2 or Scotty Cameron Santa Fe teryllium "Everyday you miss practicing it...

Tiger is of multiple ethnic backgrounds and is doing so much for children in need of help and dreams. Why let him stray away from the big picture to focus on one aspect of the picture. The Tiger learning center is the beginning of something big that Tiger will do for those in need. Earl Woods predicted this and Tiger wants to fulfill everything his father dreams (and the dreams of others).

----------------------------------------------------------------
What's in My Bag?
Driver - R9 460 10.5* UST Proforce V2
F Wood - SQ2 3W 15* UST Proforce V2
Hybrid - Baffler DWS 20* Fujikura SpeederIrons - Pro CB (4-PW) Project X 6.0Wedges - CG14 52* CG12 56* & CG15 DSG 60* Putter - Studio...

Wondering if Tiger would get criticized for making public statements for his plans on what he could do for the 'human' race. hmm?

X-460 9.5* tour Driver/Fujikura stiff
X-15* tour 3 wood/Fujikura stiff
3DX 18.5* Hybrid/Aldila stiff
681 3-PW/Project X 6.0 (now in bag)
X-16 Pro Series Irons/Dynamic Gold S300 54* and 58* wedges Anser Sn putter

I don't know how all the lineage sorts itself out, but it does put Tiger in a no win situation with some. Politically, there are those, ala Payton, that want Tiger to be an African American first and foremost. At the same time, that is not all of who he is and he is very sensitive to that, not in a negative way, but in a "don't put me in too narrow of a box" way, because he doesn't limit his good works to only one segment of the minority community

People who want Tiger to represent himself as black because his appearance shows mostly African-American traits are hypocrites and are using the very thing to push their cause that they say racist people should get over(and they should).......the color of a person's skin. Why can't Tiger just help the human race as a whole? Like he has been doing for years?

It's the epitome of hypocrisy. If I was Tiger I wouldn't touch this subject with a 48" driver.

- Joel

TM M3 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s | Bridgestone Tour B XS

Home Courses - Willow Run & Bakker Crossing

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

people need to learn how to take responsibility for themselves instead of looking for handouts.

Chris Nunes,17 yrs old

In My Bag:
Woods:Nike Sasquatch Tour Model (Driver), Nike Sumo 3 wood
Irons: Callaway X-Forged (Project X 6.0)Wedge: Callaway C Grind 58 degree,Titleist Volkey 54 degree (oil can)Putter Cleveland Classic 2 or Scotty Cameron Santa Fe teryllium "Everyday you miss practicing it...

Note: This thread is 5436 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!