IGNORED

Where do you Vs point in your grip?

Note: This thread is 5517 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just because this is a thread about grip, I felt compelled to include the opinion of Mr. Ben Hogan, in reference to where the "Vs" should be pointing. For those of you who have read it, it never hurts to brush up on it. And those that haven't read it probably need to.

"It may seem that we have gone into unwarranted detail about the elements of the correct grip. This is anything but the case. Too often in golf, players mistake the generality for the detail. They think, for example, that overlapping the finger is the detail and so they do not pay sufficient attention to how they do it. Or they confuse an effect (which can be quite superficial) with the action (the real thing) that causes the effect. For instance, a lot of golfers are under the impression that if their two Vs are pointed correctly, their grip must be correct. It may or may not be. The direction of the Vs is no guarantee, simply a check point. In golf there are certain things you must do quite precisely, where being approximately right is not right enough. The grip is one of the these areas where being half right accomplishes nothing. On the other hand, once you start cultivating the right habits, gripping the club correctly comes easily. You'll fall right into it. Furthermore, being painstaking about learning to grip rewards you a thousand times over. Once you have mastered the correct grip- and assuming your stance and posture are also correct- you can practically forget about what the hands will be doing, or what they have to do, during the swing. They will take care of themselves. The reason for this is that a correct grip brings into play the correct muscles of your arms and body."

Constantine

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

the V for my right hand points to my right shoulder. My V for my left hand points to my nose. Technically, this is a weaker left hand grip, but in reality, it makes my left hand face the target. The back of the left hand and the face are the same, so where the hand goes, the face follows. That is also why my club does not twist in my swing. I don't use the wrists to square the club... I don't have to because the club never leaves square during the swing.

That's what I've come to think too! I'm glad to see that a low handicap agrees, because I really feel like my swing has gotten a lot more consistent since I weakened my left hand grip about a month ago. I've reduced my unwanted sidespin by a ton and best of all I no longer fear the duck hook!

Scott T

G5 9° V2 75 X / 909F2 15.5° V2 85 X / 909H 19° V2 100 X / MP-33 #3-PW X100 / X-Forged Chrome 54.15 60.10 X100 / FGP Black 34" / Penta TP

Handicap is a guess because I haven't established one yet.Best score so far is a 71 on a 6,509 yard 70.3/121 par 72 muni, during a glorious...

MiniMoe, do you mind explaining what you mean by "I swing under not around my body." I don't mean to jack the thread but I think I agree with your approach to the golf swing, but I can't figure out what you mean with this thought. Thanks.
Scott T

G5 9° V2 75 X / 909F2 15.5° V2 85 X / 909H 19° V2 100 X / MP-33 #3-PW X100 / X-Forged Chrome 54.15 60.10 X100 / FGP Black 34" / Penta TP

Handicap is a guess because I haven't established one yet.Best score so far is a 71 on a 6,509 yard 70.3/121 par 72 muni, during a glorious...

It is a feeling I have in my swing. The move I have is almost the same feeling as skipping a rock with my right hand. If you were going to skip a rock on a pond, the move is more under your body, than around your body. It helps me keep my balance and allows me to extend toward the target. Hope this helps. I need to get a vid of my swing so I can post it.

My swing thoughts:

- Negative thinking hurts more than negative swinging.
- I let my swing balance me.
- Full extension back and through to the target. - I swing under not around my body. - My club must not twist in my swing. - Keep a soft left knee

Cool I understand. Thanks.
Scott T

It is a feeling I have in my swing. The move I have is almost the same feeling as skipping a rock with my right hand. If you were going to skip a rock on a pond, the move is more under your body, than around your body. It helps me keep my balance and allows me to extend toward the target. Hope this helps. I need to get a vid of my swing so I can post it.

This has been a great tip to help me with my swing. Thanks a lot for that, MiniMoe. It works perfectly for the swing I've been trying to build for myself over the past 1-2 months and really makes the the whole process feel more "natural" to me. I don't know, that's the best word I can think of to describe it. Thanks again.

Constantine

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 5517 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!